Oct 03, 2015, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

BD-10 Winter Project

Decided to build a BD-10 for my winter project. 3 Views are getting enlarged. Design will be built around 80 to 90 mm Jet Fan.

I am old school builder, construction will be balsa and plywood construction. No CAD experience so I will be drawing up plans with a pencil and drafting paper.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2015, 08:51 PM
goforit --- go for it. Nice subject. subscribed
Oct 05, 2015, 07:39 AM
I like to scratch design too. But my jet effort came out heavy and underpowered...so mine is a static display for now.
I think you're right starting off with a large fan.

I'm subscribed too.
Oct 05, 2015, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude
I like to scratch design too. But my jet effort came out heavy and underpowered...so mine is a static display for now.
I think you're right starting off with a large fan.

I'm subscribed too.
Love to see pics and specs. Wood or foam build?

Thanks
Oct 05, 2015, 12:26 PM
Well just from memory it weighs about 3.5 pounds, has a 38" wingspan, and runs a 68 mm EDF that is supposed to put out 39 oz of thrust ( but I doubt if it's even a pound). It's 4 channel and built out of balsa and some ply. It's a DeHaviland Vampire built from Jetex plans that I enlarged and modified
Last edited by builderdude; Oct 05, 2015 at 12:46 PM.
Oct 05, 2015, 02:28 PM
Thanks Tony. Nice looking Vampire. I started to read your build log but did not get to far.
I see in your blog you are moving toward foam construction. Me too. For simplicity I am leaning to pusher prop jets instead of EDFs. Lots of cool designs both scale and sport for pushers. Redo the Vampire in foam. I bet it goes like a Bat.
Oct 05, 2015, 03:14 PM
EDF has a big disadvantage. They're incredibly heavy and they're power hogs. Balsa builds beautiful models but heavier than foam. And far too fragile.

So I might yet fly the Vampire in its current form, but probably in sea level air where it's thicker.
Oct 05, 2015, 08:56 PM
goforit,

Check out this file. Very top is Dwg and PDF files of the BD-10. They are mostly sized 8.5 x 11 but I went as high as 2400 % and lines did not get thick. Copy the views and take the to a copy center and have them print at what ever size you want. At least you will have the top, side, bottom and front views scaled to your size ready to develop your internal structure. Good luck.

http://montaguemillennium.com/larry/autocad/index.htm
Oct 05, 2015, 09:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipman
goforit,

Check out this file. Very top is Dwg and PDF files of the BD-10. They are mostly sized 8.5 x 11 but I went as high as 2400 % and lines did not get thick. Copy the views and take the to a copy center and have them print at what ever size you want. At least you will have the top, side, bottom and front views scaled to your size ready to develop your internal structure. Good luck.

http://montaguemillennium.com/larry/autocad/index.htm
Thanks for the info!
Oct 05, 2015, 10:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude
Well just from memory it weighs about 3.5 pounds, has a 38" wingspan, and runs a 68 mm EDF that is supposed to put out 39 oz of thrust ( but I doubt if it's even a pound). It's 4 channel and built out of balsa and some ply. It's a DeHaviland Vampire built from Jetex plans that I enlarged and modified

Nice looking Vampire. I was out at the Reno Air Races in September and there was a Vampire racing in the L-39 class. He won one of his heats at over 450mph average speed. The more fuel he burned the faster he went. 20 to 50 feet above the deck doing 450 mph ! Spectacular to watch.

Dennis
Oct 09, 2015, 01:19 AM
world's slowest builder
Wow..what great drawings! Great find. I've thought About modeling the BD-10 many times. You will probably have to enlarge the intakes a little, but it should still look great. I would approach this buy calculating intakes....and then building the plane around that. Single 90 will be perfect and it will be a good size plane. It have a great lifting body design so it should have acceptable wing loading. Balsa is great you just have to not overbuild the structure...and use the really light stuff!
Oct 09, 2015, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
3 views sent out for enlargement to 1/6 scale. Fuse will be aprx 58 inches
long and wing span of 42 inches. Plan on making 2 sets of wings. One with scale out line and the other with slightly wider tip cord. I plan on using the Habu 32 airfoil for the wing.

Stabs will have adjustable incidence and be removable. The intakes
are small and will have to be enlarged. I plan on running Jet Fan V2 on 10s.

RTFW of 10 lbs.
Oct 09, 2015, 06:39 PM
world's slowest builder
Size seesms about right. Should be awesome!
Oct 09, 2015, 06:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Jon
Size seesms about right. Should be awesome!
I hope it is!
Sep 19, 2019, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
Back to work on this bird. On my bucket list for years. Retiring end of year and plan on getting build started
asap. Purchased a set of Col Bob Thacker plans for the bd-10 and Friend of mine reduced the plans to 77 inches long.

Plan is to build for 120 mm fan with Turbine conversion after I have it dialed in and flying good. Intakes on plans
are not scale and will require a lot of work to correct. No intention of building true scale, Fun Scale project.

For wing , stab and rudder plan on using BVM's Electra airfoils with foam cores vacuum bagged.

Quick Reply