Oct 10, 2015, 06:45 AM
RobKit--Sweden
You can order Polaris decals instead, much better quality.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2015, 07:27 AM
Hi.
Any maiden video with config list..used motor..auw..fpv stuff?
I m in build phase...i will put in the C4S hungarian developed autopilot and osd sytem.
It will be placed under the back door into the fuselage where the main servos placing.
I will add a fatshark 700tvl fpv camera in the nose...and a mobius on the fpv plywood canopy....
The transmitter will be 1200mw 5.8ghz partom...which quite heavy 67 g..but strong.
I think the fpv stuff will give 180g extra weight.
Will the bird handle this with 3s setup?
Last edited by Ltomi78; Oct 10, 2015 at 07:33 AM.
Oct 10, 2015, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltomi78
I think the fpv stuff will give 180g extra weight.
Will the bird handle this with 3s setup?
Ill check out tomorrow for you, but Im quite sure it will do.
Oct 10, 2015, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmia
Decals are pretty poor quality.
3 flights and they are all peeling off.
Am going to take them all of and add some of my own trim.
Did you use a heating iron?
Mine has no signs of coming off yet.
Oct 10, 2015, 03:23 PM
I was testing the "All Terrain" capabilities today and the rudder snapped off when landing on grass.
Kinda obvious looking back at it, it's pretty weak and will hit the ground.

Atleast now I got a chance to put in proper hinges and will try to add a skid right in front of the rudder that will carry the plane on land.
But I find it very hard to believe that the takeoff they did on the video from gravel/sand would not damage anything.

Small hickups here and there, but in general this plane is a wonderful experience so far.

A bit nose heavy with 4s 2200 (PNF version), gonna try smaller ones.
Oct 10, 2015, 03:24 PM
AMA # 75962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee
I finished assembling the Skipper XL and most everything went as planned. I had to make short extensions for the motor that I used and also short extensions for the ESC. Also the motor I used is too long for the cowl, so it will be out in the open where it'll get more air, which is a good thing.
The set of decals that came with my kit were damaged. The decals that go one the bottom of the wing had separated (the color sheet had separated from the adhesive backing)) and getting the "bubble Line" out was near to impossible.
It will be awhile before I get to fly it, as I only want to fly it off of water.

J
mnahmia said,
Decals are pretty poor quality.
3 flights and they are all peeling off.
Am going to take them all of and add some of my own trim.

robkit said,
You can order Polaris decals instead, much better quality.

I agree that the decals or "transfers" are of poor quality, however I do like the design.

I would rather have some other color scheme or I would order the Polaris decals.

I did use my heating iron to iron down the decal "transfers" and only getting in some flying will determine how well they hold.

now all I need to do is run some prop tests and decide which prop I'm going to run.

J
Last edited by Jim Lee; Oct 10, 2015 at 03:33 PM.
Oct 10, 2015, 03:32 PM
AMA # 75962
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnurgel
I was testing the "All Terrain" capabilities today and the rudder snapped off when landing on grass.
Kinda obvious looking back at it, it's pretty weak and will hit the ground.

Atleast now I got a chance to put in proper hinges and will try to add a skid right in front of the rudder that will carry the plane on land.
But I find it very hard to believe that the takeoff they did on the video from gravel/sand would not damage anything.

Small hickups here and there, but in general this plane is a wonderful experience so far.

A bit nose heavy with 4s 2200 (PNF version), gonna try smaller ones.
From reading the original Polaris Ultra thread, I bought the Skipper XL Kit and I knew that if I was going to use a 4s li-po, I should use a heavier motor, with my G-Force 2200mAh 4s battery.
I achieve C/G with the battery about in the middle of the battery tray.

J
Oct 10, 2015, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnurgel
Did you use a heating iron?
Mine has no signs of coming off yet.
Didn't think of that.Will use my iron and see if it helps.
Thks
Oct 10, 2015, 04:04 PM
Well getting near maiden time..

Put in a 3542 since others in the Ultra thread that have built it like intend to seem to have had a bit of trouble getting the cg aft..

maybe tomorrow..?
Oct 10, 2015, 07:51 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Brush or spray this on and the decals wont peel off anymore..
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/pledge-w.../6000016951678

ps.. Thank you Browneyedfool
Last edited by vettster; Oct 10, 2015 at 08:54 PM.
Oct 11, 2015, 01:11 PM
Bleriot's R Us
Flew mine today, didnt have the motor I wanted but had to get it flying,
it was a 3536 910kv and I used a cut down 10x4.5 HQ prop to about 8 1/2" only pulling about 330w with a 2700 4cell lipo it flew well and no problem taking off from the grass even after half the battery was used, but no speed.
The kv is too low for this diameter prop as is I think the AFTF version at 1000kv I think a 1200kv would be much better, will order one tomorrow.
Oct 12, 2015, 03:41 AM
Hi.
During buliding skipper xl for FPV I realised that the aileron servo move a little bit slower than the others. I tried witho Corona metal gear and Turnigy MG113 digital servos also. Both moves the ailerons hardly. After I forced the pushrods and servo by hand it became a little better.
It seems to me it is a construction issue...as the pushrods comes into the fuselage in V shape about 15 degrees and it has high pressure on the servo arm. It would be much better if the pushrods would go in paralell with each other make easier to move them by the servo.

Anybody have experinced the same issue. Do I need to oil the pushrod tubes..or use smaller or wider servo arm?
I have only 12g digital and analog servos....probably I should use larger and stronger servos ...any recommendation?
thanks.
What type is the aileron servo in the PNF version?

Probably the shipped pushrod linkage is too tight?
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html
Last edited by Ltomi78; Oct 12, 2015 at 04:25 AM.
Oct 12, 2015, 03:47 AM
RobKit--Sweden
After a lot of calculations, I ordered a 3536 1400Kv, intend to use a 8x5-6 MA, hope it will be enough with 3c, was thinking of using my 3542 1250kv but it is very Heavy (140+ gram) and not so nice for the motor cowling. Anyone know if there is spare parts available at HK ? have to be prepared for worst case scenario ;-) By the way,, what 1000Kv motor & prop do the deliver in the kit ?
Oct 12, 2015, 05:37 AM
Head NEAT geek
I am relocating my aileron servos to the top of the wing (like the smaller skipper) to keep them and the pushrods out of the water! very poor design in the original model. HK must have not wanted to change the molds.
Oct 12, 2015, 06:14 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt
I am relocating my aileron servos to the top of the wing (like the smaller skipper) to keep them and the pushrods out of the water! very poor design in the original model. HK must have not wanted to change the molds.
I thought similar, I decided to go with slightly larger dia pushrods smeared in petroleum jelly to see how that goes first

Quick Reply