Oct 08, 2015, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainerm
Just back from maiden flight, I bought the kit and took a 1000kV motor, 8x6 APC (from HK) , HXT 900 Servos, 40A Plush. I tried 3s 2200mA , 4s 1800 , 4s 2000 and 4s 2200 batteries.
Hand start is no problem, for me no difference between 3s and 4s.
With 3s itīs quite a slow patkflyer, looks great in the air and is very maneuvrable. Flies very good with rudder and elevator - even for narrow curves you dont need aileron - flies a bit like an easy star.
With 4s faster, more fun - no question.
Surprisingly good flight times : 8 to 10 minutes cruising around - FPV-style flying - with 3s 2 minutes less.
Unfortunately I have much flex in a wing and I need much aileron for trimming - thatīs the next thing I have to fix.
Will be a good FPV-platform, will try next week.
And water start, of course. Must be big fun.
All in all Iīm happy with my skipper xl - this bird look so majestic in the air - and itīs not noisy.
By hand start do you mean hand launch?
Thks
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2015, 12:41 PM
Yes - sorry for my english...
Oct 08, 2015, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Yes - sorry for my english...
No problem

When I tried hand launching,I couldn't get it in the air
It just dropped to the ground a few meters after launch.
I wonder if my LIpo need to be moved more to the rear?
Ca you tell me what lipo you are using,and where did you position it?

Thks
Oct 08, 2015, 03:55 PM
I use 3s 2200 mah Rhino,30c, quite old - my 4s( 1800/2200) are quite new Nanos - my CG is 59 cm ( like shown in the manual) .
If your CG is too much in the front, hand launch will fail. My elevator is for the launch some mm up - thatīs helpful. I throw the plane with about 60% throttle ( right hand), as soon as my right hand is at the elevator stick ( up!) I give full throttle and up she goes. At this point of the launch sheīs about 1 meter over the ground.
Well - check your CG and make your elevator some mm up - and it will work. Good luck!
Oct 08, 2015, 06:22 PM
Quote:
I use 3s 2200 mah Rhino,30c, quite old - my 4s( 1800/2200) are quite new Nanos - my CG is 59 cm ( like shown in the manual) .
If your CG is too much in the front, hand launch will fail. My elevator is for the launch some mm up - thatīs helpful. I throw the plane with about 60% throttle ( right hand), as soon as my right hand is at the elevator stick ( up!) I give full throttle and up she goes. At this point of the launch sheīs about 1 meter over the ground.
Well - check your CG and make your elevator some mm up - and it will work. Good luck!
Went with your recommendations and the hand launch was perfect.
Thks fot the tips
Oct 08, 2015, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdevlin
just watched the build video, being an owner of a polaris, I was disappointed to see the control rods are on the underneath of the fuse, not good for water ingress, should be on the top surely? maybe not as pretty, but when its on the step on the water, those rods will let water in
Do you have the Polaris Ultra? Aren't the control rods on the bottom as well?
Oct 09, 2015, 06:43 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
To bad they didn't keep the same lines/shape as the original skipper. I think it looks much better than the HK XL..(Polaris look a like)
Oct 09, 2015, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Hi..thanks for experiences.
What is your AUW weight? and what do you plan for maximum weight with FPV setup.
Do you plan an OSD or OSD&Autopilot in the skipper?
Oct 09, 2015, 07:18 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster
To bad they didn't keep the same lines/shape as the original skipper. I think it looks much better than the HK XL..(Polaris look a like)
Its not a bigger skipper its a different model they just gave it the same name, probably would cost too much to make new tooling to increase the size of the existing one so easier to just re brand a similar model.
Oct 09, 2015, 07:54 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Quote:
It's the Polaris Ultra with a new name. HK bought the molds from Model Aero's manufacturer. Apparently they did compensate Model Aero eventually, but this plane isn't a blown up Skipper.

Of course the Skipper was originally a knockoff of the Polaris anyway, so it's kind of six of one half a dozen of another.
Oct 09, 2015, 10:30 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Yup...fully aware of what it is and where it came from... Just saying the skipper is way better looking. Have a peek at my blog for what Laddie has been advising me with. He's just an hour away and I asked him to test fly it for me when ready...he was pleased
Last edited by vettster; Oct 09, 2015 at 11:41 AM.
Oct 09, 2015, 10:50 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Quote:
Yup...fully aware of what it is and where it came from... Just saying the skipper is way better looking. Have a peek at my blog for what Laskie has been helping me with. He's just an hour away and I asked him to test fly it for me when ready...he was pleased
There's a definite argument for that, the crisp chines on the Skipper to keep it from being stuck to the water look pretty sharp.

And that monster is an obscenity sir Well done.
Oct 09, 2015, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltomi78
Hi..thanks for experiences.
What is your AUW weight? and what do you plan for maximum weight with FPV setup.
Do you plan an OSD or OSD&Autopilot in the skipper?
AOW with 4s is 1130 to 1170 g ( 1800 - 2200 mAh).
Today I had my first launch from grass - very easy : full throttle and after 10-15 meters sheīs airborne . I only fly with 4s - 3s is also nice, but for me too slow.I like it powerful.
With my FPV-equipment the AOW will be 80 g more, with an OSD. This extra weight is no problem, my impression is that this bird can handle much more weight. I wait for a new transmitter from banggood ( destroyed mine in a 250 copter crash...). So my first FPV flight will be next week.
One thing is strange : if I fly full throttle in a dive ( quite fast) there is a strange noise - never heard such thing before - maybe some kind of "turbulence" from the engine nacelle - I donīt know. Maybe itīs the Hongkong APC-prop - I will see.
If thereīs a day without much wind Iīll try to start from water. After my experience from grass Iīm optimistic.
Oct 09, 2015, 05:14 PM
AMA # 75962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee
I bought the Skipper XL Kit, since I all ready had the electronics for it, (I originally purchased them for the Polaris Ultra)

I'm going to go 4s. My list of components are mostly from Hobby King

Corona CS 929 MG 12.5g Analog servos. NTM Propdrive 35-36 1400 kv 550w brushless motor. NTM 35 series prop drive set. ( the motor doesn't come with the prop adapter, it has to be ordered separately) I'm going to try several different props A-MAS- 8X4 MAS- 7X5.5 and a APC-8X4. After running prop tests, I'll decide which prop I want to use.

ZTW Mantis 65A ESC With 5A SBEC. Adjustable voltage from 5.5v to 6.0v

G-Force 30c 2200mAh 4s 14.8v Li-Po with EC3 connectors.
Spektrum AR610 Rx.

I've waterproofed the servo's, ESC and Rx as it seems that there is always a way the water will find it's way into the plane.

Looking forward to putting this one together, It will make a good addition to my float plane hanger.

J
I finished assembling the Skipper XL and most everything went as planned. I had to make short extensions for the motor that I used and also short extensions for the ESC. Also the motor I used is too long for the cowl, so it will be out in the open where it'll get more air, which is a good thing.
The set of decals that came with my kit were damaged. The decals that go one the bottom of the wing had separated (the color sheet had separated from the adhesive backing)) and getting the "bubble Line" out was near to impossible.
It will be awhile before I get to fly it, as I only want to fly it off of water.

J
Last edited by Jim Lee; Oct 11, 2015 at 04:18 PM.
Oct 09, 2015, 05:48 PM
Decals are pretty poor quality.
3 flights and they are all peeling off.
Am going to take them all of and add some of my own trim.

Quick Reply