Oct 12, 2015, 05:30 PM
Thread OP
I update some of the code a couple of days ago, this results in better flight performance. I also measured the thrust of the quad and made curves that account for it , instead of the generic ones used before.

Also the pids have changed, and the yaw can go a lot faster now if needed.
Thats mainly because I learned to do flips so I got to push the quad a bit more then before.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2015, 02:30 PM
@silverxxx Almost there, I have the ST-Link device, I've setup the toolchain in a VM and the firmware compiles with no errors. before I take the plunge, are the default settings in config.h suitable for DeviationTX? (I have a 7E).. thanks!
Oct 15, 2015, 03:06 PM
Nice job here
Subscribed!
Oct 15, 2015, 03:41 PM
Thread OP
The settings work with devo, it's just that devo uses high rates all the time so the rates are always the set rates times the multiplier.

Also keep in mind the quad turns on if you move one of the pitch / roll sticks more then 50%. I thought that would help with flips and zero throttle. It might be a bit unexpected. I think i will make that as an option in the future.

Also I noticed sometimes there is no reception on certain channels between the nrf24 and xn297, but since there are 4 channels this is not noticeable. I changed my tx code to use the first 32 channels only, which always seem to have reception. I'm using one of the low power nrf modules so my range is not that great.
Oct 15, 2015, 03:56 PM
Great, I hope to do it this weekend, my intention is to mount a permanent connector on the shell somewhere so I can re-flash without disassembling it each time.
Oct 15, 2015, 05:19 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverxxx
Also I noticed sometimes there is no reception on certain channels between the nrf24 and xn297, but since there are 4 channels this is not noticeable. I changed my tx code to use the first 32 channels only, which always seem to have reception. I'm using one of the low power nrf modules so my range is not that great.

I see you have the newer version of the H8 Mini, with 12 screws securing the frame halves, and the different RF chip. This version has range issues with stock transmitter as well. Moving the antenna outside the frame, pointing right up, gives at least double the range with stock transmitter. With the older version H8 mini, with only 8 screws securing the frame halves, the receiver chip is more sensitive, and you get about the same range without mods, as the newer one gives, with the antenna mod.

Might be a reason you are having reception issues.
Oct 15, 2015, 05:41 PM
@silverxxx in the third photo, what's the 2-pin connector at the bottom of the photo for?

[Edit] nm, I guess it's power to the ST_link?
Last edited by vegan; Oct 15, 2015 at 06:24 PM.
Oct 15, 2015, 07:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
I see you have the newer version of the H8 Mini, with 12 screws securing the frame halves, and the different RF chip. This version has range issues with stock transmitter as well. Moving the antenna outside the frame, pointing right up, gives at least double the range with stock transmitter. With the older version H8 mini, with only 8 screws securing the frame halves, the receiver chip is more sensitive, and you get about the same range without mods, as the newer one gives, with the antenna mod.
I did not know there were 2 versions. I think I saw a pic of a different looking board but I was not so sure about it. It also had a different gyro iirc. I know the antenna mod, but I don't fly very far away. I mostly fly in my livingroom. I'll do the mod when i take it apart next time maybe.The range issues are due to using a low power nrf24 board as I made a module out of stuff lying around. Sadly one motor is on the way out and it cuts out sometimes as well as making really bad noises. Hopefully it will last a couple of weeks till the replacement arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan
@silverxxx in the third photo, what's the 2-pin connector at the bottom of the photo for?

[Edit] nm, I guess it's power to the ST_link?
That is actually the serial out. I used serial a bit when checking adc values for example. I don't use the stlink power because it's supposed to be 3V and st-link has 3.3V. Also using power would not be reverse proof on my unkeyed connectors. I sometimes plug them the wrong way around.

Quote:
Great, I hope to do it this weekend, my intention is to mount a permanent connector on the shell somewhere so I can re-flash without disassembling it each time.
My connector is sitting at the end of the wires. You can see it in the picture, I fly with it like that. I really should have used slightly shorter wires though.
Oct 15, 2015, 08:37 PM
Quote:
The range issues are due to using a low power nrf24 board as I made a module out of stuff lying around
FWIW, I can confirm that my H8 Mini (also with 12 screws) has no range issues with the nrf24+PA, I have accidentally specked it and eventually managed to get it back without running out of range, I'm not very good at estimating distances but it had to be well over 100 metres and my Devo mods use internal antennas.
Oct 16, 2015, 12:26 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
With Devo with PA nrf board it should be good, as the transmitter emits so much power that the lower sensitivity doesn't matter for good range. With the stock transmitter it matters a lot, what version H8 Mini you have. Older has 60+ metres range with antenna tucked away under the canopy, with the new version you get like 25 metres max.
Oct 16, 2015, 01:58 AM

Success!

Well that was exciting! I managed to flash the firmware and it flies! It flies VERY fast

I had a few short flights inside but I think I'm going to find it easier outside with a bit more room for error and maybe adding some expo and winding the rates down a little, but I can confirm it flies in acro mode (first time I've flown anything in acro mode) and looks like it's going to be a lot of fun

The only hiccup I had was the error "Full Chip Erase Failed!" when I used flash | erase but it still managed to download the new firmware with no issues.

Thank you for sharing your firmware and advice!
Oct 16, 2015, 03:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Well that was exciting! I managed to flash the firmware and it flies! It flies VERY fast

I had a few short flights inside but I think I'm going to find it easier outside with a bit more room for error and maybe adding some expo and winding the rates down a little, but I can confirm it flies in acro mode (first time I've flown anything in acro mode) and looks like it's going to be a lot of fun

The only hiccup I had was the error "Full Chip Erase Failed!" when I used flash | erase but it still managed to download the new firmware with no issues.

Thank you for sharing your firmware and advice!
I'm glad it works, a bit of expo certainly helps. I increased the yaw on mine to 500, it's a bit faster. Also you will likely need higher rates for roll and pitch once you get the hang of it.

I've seen that error too, I am not sure about it. I think the step is required, iirc flashing without it does not work.
Oct 16, 2015, 04:08 AM
I Void Warranties
Very nice project silverxxx... now I've to order a spare one for hacking
So, it has 32kB flash and broken out UART... hmmm I might try to port multiwii on it (using your drivers).
Oct 16, 2015, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goebish
Very nice project silverxxx... now I've to order a spare one for hacking
So, it has 32kB flash and broken out UART... hmmm I might try to port multiwii on it (using your drivers).
It's only TX that's broken out (on one of the leds) rx would need soldering. Also has software spi. Yeah I picked this one for the 32Kb, I think it's the largest flash in a quad of this size.
Oct 16, 2015, 03:55 PM
How feasible would it be to eventually add level mode to this firmware so we could switch between level and acro from the tx (eg. FMODE switch) or is the flash not big enough for the extra code?

Quick Reply