Jan 16, 2017, 04:44 AM
Thread OP

Cockpit openings

With a jig that is printed on tracing paper(it gives me a better view for aligning), the openings were marked.

I didn't mark/score on the edges but prefered to colour in the openings, this to provide damage.

I careful cutted out a small opening with a nr 11 blade and used sandpaper that is glued to a wooden dowel to remove the rest of the balsa.
This gives me a better control, it is only 0,8 mm balsa and can easily split lengthwise or be damaged.

I'm using masking tape to mark the central line, don't have to put marks on the wood and I sometimes rub the tape on the edge of my building board to make it even less tacky and with a bent over on one end it can easily be removed.
Last edited by flyingwolfmann; Jan 16, 2017 at 01:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2018, 04:50 AM
Hello flyingwolfmann,

do you know the german movie "Quax der Bruchpilot"? (Quax, the lousy pilot, published in 1941)

It's a fantastic movie about a haughty young man who won a pilot education in a competition and the training flights in this film are done with a Udet Flamingo.

Quax der Bruchpilot (1941) (1 hr 26 min 38 sec)

Unfortunately, I do not know if it is somewhere also available in english.

Greetings
Michael
Jan 08, 2020, 10:08 PM
Flying cars, now planes!

What! No ending?

There are lots of great balsa building tips in this thread. I was sad to see it isn't finished, I wanted to see how it flew. I am looking to scratch build a balsa biplane under 24" wingspan and I considering this
Jan 15, 2020, 06:00 PM
I know it's not forgotten and it's still on the build table

Quick Reply