Sep 28, 2015, 11:42 PM
Thread OP
Question

Screw Rubbing on Drive Shaft

Please forgive me if I get all this terminology wrong cause I'm still n00b but here it goes.

You see that stripped screw? That screw is now rubbing against that pin on my driveshaft. The screw is not original parts because it's new hardware from the Traxxas suspension link I installed. I installed the link and ran the truck quite a bit and everything was great so the screw works just fine.

But I just installed an aluminum shock tower and suddenly the pin from the driveshaft touches the screw ever so slightly.

Any ideas what's going on? Is something not installed right?

ECX Ruckus 2WD 2015. Thanks everyone.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2015, 02:43 AM
speed-boater
May be the aluminum link is a little bid wider - this, or the wrong screw may cause your problem. I never would use a philips screw in this area.
But anyway, i think you should use a countersunk screw.
This will hopefully solve the problem, because the screw head is Lower.
Last edited by rbachmann; Sep 29, 2015 at 02:51 AM.
Sep 29, 2015, 11:12 AM
Traxxas.... !!!CONFORM!!!
Use an Allen head screw, m3 thread .... only if the aluminum shock tower can handle it. I have used them on my torment with a diy boost/lcg chassis torment. Mine however is the stick plastic shock tower. And Your axle pin is also not centered it should be flush on both sides.

I actually find it had to believe an aluminum shock tower would use coarse thread screw for plastic.
Sep 29, 2015, 11:14 AM
There are also traxxas endlinks that are flatter, and don't use the hourglass shaped half of the ball..
Sep 29, 2015, 03:38 PM
What is the diameter of the ball?

you could use something like this
http://tamico.de/Kyosho-58mmxM26-Piv...ion-2014-SC240

http://tamico.de/Tamiya-Kugelkopf-8mm-4-Stk-9808133

Sep 29, 2015, 10:40 PM
The koyosho are to small of a thread. The others are to damn big give me a few and I'll post a couple pics.
Sep 29, 2015, 10:53 PM
First pic is how the axle pin/screw should look.

Second pic is the short ball links. Clears the axle, and note the m3 Allen head bolt. I do have rubbing BUT this is ONLY from my prototype lcg torment mod. (Shock tower to far rearward)

Third is long type ball link.
Sep 29, 2015, 10:54 PM
How the pin should look
Sep 29, 2015, 10:55 PM
The short , stock traxxas ball and m3 thread Allen head screw, again in this case I need to move the shock tower forward a few mm.
Sep 29, 2015, 10:58 PM
The longer ball link
Sep 29, 2015, 11:03 PM
A better comparison of the two.
Sep 29, 2015, 11:08 PM
Btw would you mind if I added a link to my ecx thread, so as to cover this issue?
Sep 30, 2015, 04:45 AM
speed-boater
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcolraw
How the pin should look
To be honest - i never would use a cylinderhead screw in this area.
Also the shorter rod end ball will cause limited angle movement of the rod end.

I would use a countersunk screw and the problem is solved.
Last edited by rbachmann; Sep 30, 2015 at 05:36 AM.
Sep 30, 2015, 08:33 AM
The rear camber turn buckle moves on a single axis. It's more of a diameter issue above the axle.

Rbachmann, an Allen head screw would allow greater angle on a steering knuckle. Assuming there is no hour glass shape the ball itself. As it is in your pic that countersunk screw only attaches the ball to the arm, it's not going to capture the plastic end should it pop off. A counter sunk screw would allow for a bit more of a precise fit/alignment ,but this isn't a a-main car or a team car.
Last edited by kcolraw; Sep 30, 2015 at 08:47 AM.
Sep 30, 2015, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
Thank you everyone for you feedback. I am embarrassed to say that all I needed to do was adjust the axle head pin. After that everything cleared. Told you I am n00b.

Still it is true that the Traxxas hour glass end links probably do extend further than the standard original plastic.

I'll definitely look into allen head screw for the shock tower. Besides this phillips head is getting very stripped.

Quick Reply