Sep 28, 2015, 09:21 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Just crashed with Futaba T7C

I've had this radio for a few years and it has a new battery. I just crashed a Redwing RC MXSR 30 cc plane tonight and have to go back out in the morning to find it. It was flying great and all of a sudden, probably 1/4 mile away, I lost all control and it went in. I had a similar incident a few weeks back but got control of the plane and didn't have any other problems. I thought the first time it was because I forgot to extend the stubby antenna as it was still folded to the side. Both times, the plane was about the same place at our field. Any ideas what happened?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2015, 09:26 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
What is the chance that the antenna (transmitter) has been bent so much that the wire inside is broke/intermittent?

If it was same place at field, are others having issues?

Does it pass a range check? Check where you crashed?

Best wishes,
Scott
Sep 29, 2015, 09:31 AM
Thread OP
Well, I went and recovered my plane this morning, it wasn't pretty. The wings are good and the engine appears intact but the fuse is pretty bad. I tested the receiver at home out of the plane and it started acting up less than 100 feet away. The receiver began flashing red/green. I then tried a different battery with the same results. I then tried a different receiver the same way and got the same results. Now I'm looking at a new transmitter.

If you were to start over again, what transmitter would you buy? I have 3 fast 7 channel receivers but that won't keep me from trying something else. I probably won't need anything bigger than an 7 or 8 channel. I looked at Tower Hobbies at a Futaba 8JA which uses a different receiver but they're cheaper to buy new receivers down the line.
Sep 29, 2015, 10:16 AM
If it was me, I would open the back of the radio and look at the antenna connector, make sure is connected to the RF board.

Doug
Sep 29, 2015, 11:46 AM
Based on your evaluations - bundle the tx and rx and send to the repair center.
when a radio (any brand ) suddenly changes results when range testing - you have a hardware issue.
Flying an aerobatic model 1/4 mile away - makes observable issues very chancy- human eyes are only so good -------
Sep 29, 2015, 12:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV
If it was me, I would open the back of the radio and look at the antenna connector, make sure is connected to the RF board.

Doug
I just took the cover off and everything, that I can tell anyway, is connected. The antenna is connected for sure.
Sep 29, 2015, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
Based on your evaluations - bundle the tx and rx and send to the repair center.
when a radio (any brand ) suddenly changes results when range testing - you have a hardware issue.
Flying an aerobatic model 1/4 mile away - makes observable issues very chancy- human eyes are only so good -------
I'm just guessing at the distance, it was probably closer. I've flown that way several times coming around for a landing mostly. I'm on the fence on whether to send it back or just get something else.
Sep 29, 2015, 07:01 PM
Thread OP
I sent the transmitter and 2 receivers to Hobby Services tonight. I'm hoping they find something wrong. I'm 99.9% sure that it wasn't me. I believe the throttle went to idle during fail safe and never recovered also. I had about a half tank of fuel left and the engine was running good during its last flight.

Quick Reply