This thread is privately moderated by 1000MPH, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 28, 2015, 11:35 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
Thread OP
Discussion

NCFM Moth - Resurrected.

This Moth was one of my first foamies. I loved this plane but constant rec'r problems (Berg) cause it's premature demise... twice.
I shelved it at least 5 years ago (edit: almost 8 years ago!). The fuse became a test for improving my "goop fuse" process and it came out beautiful. I knew it would no longer be a lightweight so I fully enclosed the sides and left only an access hole in the leading edge cutout. This meant all radio gear would go in the wing. At the time I was still using 72Mhz Electron rec'rs and they wouldn't fit. I ended up installing a Corona but then ripped it out last year and dropped in an Optima 2.4. New Hs-85s were moved further out and a custom 4 cell AAA pack was ordered from CanuckEngineering. I also added some spar reinforcements and a carbon TE. The elevons were reused, filled and glassed. The linkages are over/under style.
So much foam was missing from the rebuild that half this wing must be half spackle. It looks nice now but won't survive abuse, I'm sure.
I'm not expecting a 200MPH plane but will be happy if it flies nice up to around 150-175.
Current weight is 37oz but it looks like it might take 9oz to balance at the conservative 1.5" recommended CG.
Edit: AUW 46.5oz
Last edited by 1000MPH; Nov 12, 2015 at 10:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2015, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
Early pics of the fuse before the rebuild...

Last edited by 1000MPH; Oct 01, 2015 at 12:05 PM.
Oct 31, 2015, 10:01 PM
Thread OP
Maidened today in less than ideal conditions. I think I forgot how heavy I made this Moth.
Anyway, she flew out smoothly after a perfect launch from Bruce T. Only a few clicks of right trim needed and no elevator. I will adjust my rates but they were close enough to DS. I got an easy 116 in 15-25mph winds and had a decent landing. I might adjust the CG back a little.
Nov 02, 2015, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
The wind was pretty good yesterday, around 30 when the moth went up. I didn't have time to play with the CG but went ahead and flew her anyway. I did dial out the ele to 25-35% and ail rates to 40-70%. I will test fit longer control horns when I get home.
Anyway, she flew well in the higher winds. Max speed was 157. Looks like an airframe record. (Sorry Bobby). Now I will work more on fine tuning.
Nov 12, 2015, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
I added slightly taller horns. I will also add 2 extra screws to each to stabilize the horns. The fuse longeron is full except for about the last 1/8", I will add a small amt of tailweight to improve pitch performance. no pics yet...
May 04, 2016, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
Flew the Moth again this past weekend. Speeds in the 130's.
I made a fiberglassed bagged fin for it and installed it yesterday. It is about 3.5g heavier without covering.
May 29, 2016, 11:30 PM
Thread OP
The Moth is performing well. I made some minor rate changes to the down elevator for a better feel. The fiberglassed fin seems to have added a bit of stability.
In 20-30 winds today I pulled a 150.
Apr 16, 2018, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
This Moth was one of my first foamies. I loved this plane but constant rec'r problems (Berg) cause it's premature demise... twice.
I shelved it at least 5 years ago (edit: almost 8 years ago!). The fuse became a test for improving my "goop fuse" process and it came out beautiful. I knew it would no longer be a lightweight so I fully enclosed the sides and left only an access hole in the leading edge cutout. This meant all radio gear would go in the wing. At the time I was still using 72Mhz Electron rec'rs and they wouldn't fit. I ended up installing a Corona but then ripped it out last year and dropped in an Optima 2.4. New Hs-85s were moved further out and a custom 4 cell AAA pack was ordered from CanuckEngineering. I also added some spar reinforcements and a carbon TE. The elevons were reused, filled and glassed. The linkages are over/under style.
So much foam was missing from the rebuild that half this wing must be half spackle. It looks nice now but won't survive abuse, I'm sure.
I'm not expecting a 200MPH plane but will be happy if it flies nice up to around 150-175.
Current weight is 37oz but it looks like it might take 9oz to balance at the conservative 1.5" recommended CG.
Edit: AUW 46.5oz
Hi Stu,
thanks for your posts on my thread on choosing between the Moth and JW48. I've ordered the moth and now deciding which way I'll go with the fuse. This one looks particularly good. Did you use any strapping tape or just multiple layers of goop? Which layer did the colour go into? I'm going to be frontside manly and not planning on many bumps (that probably doesn't mean much). Can you give me any suggestions on how to get a finish like this please. Thanks
Apr 16, 2018, 01:48 AM
Thread OP
Sand, thinned goop, spackle, sand, thinned goop, 3m extreme tape ironed down, tinted thinned goop.
See this thread.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post28534404
Apr 19, 2018, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
Sand, thinned goop, spackle, sand, thinned goop, 3m extreme tape ironed down, tinted thinned goop.
See this thread.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post28534404
Thanks so much. To tint the goop is it just a color tint you put in or just like they use for tinting paint? Iím just trying to work out where I would get some tint like this in Australia.
Apr 19, 2018, 12:22 PM
Thread OP
I use Testors enamel. Just make sure it’s enamel. Ask in the general thread if there’s an equivalent model paint in Australia.

Quick Reply