Sep 27, 2015, 01:25 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

New L23 NG from Blanik Aero

Hi all,
sometimes last year, www.blanik-aero.cz introduced a new concept for L23. Only pictures available are computer images published on their site.
So it didn't take long for me to decide this is something I should build.
And here we are, few months ago I started with a fuse for L13 and went to work. With some 3 view drawings for L 13 and L23, I figured how would they make it and applied same construction into my fuse I got already made from a friend of mine. scale is 1:3.6 and this gives me a WS around 4.5M, depending how big winglets will be.
So for starters, pictures of original Blanik fuse, followed by some changes I made.
Please keep in mind that I'm only going by those two pictures that are available at this moment.
At this point , after talking to a CEO of Blanik company, first prototype should be flying by late next year and there might be some minor changes, but nothing that couldn't be fixed afterwards.
Will keep you posted on progress......:-)
Definitely a very sexy looking plane, specially with those winglets.

cheers.
Paul
Last edited by no limitz; Sep 27, 2015 at 01:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2015, 02:09 PM
Gave up on gas
Hey Paul, that's a pretty nice looking sailplane, this is the first I've heard of it. At 16.6M for the prototype the wing looks more like one from a conventional powered aircraft rather than a sailplane. I think it would be great for aerobatics in model form.

I take it this is a modernized version of a standard L23, I wonder if it shares other parts and pieces between the two models?
Sep 30, 2015, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
You got it Craic, with 45cm root cord, there is a plenty of wing area, that can carry all that weight.
From what I know, they have used a front part, roughly from about 2/3 of cord forward from L23. Tail boom is completely new, but still oval cross section.
Tail section is from L23, but they are still deciding whether they should use a split elevator or go with one part. And of course with that goes some changes to rudder top. They built a completely new wing with different airfoil, but my model will still use the original NACA. And no flaps, but they can fit them, if some wants them a pays for it some extra $$...
I have made some progress, pictures shortly.

Cheers.
Oct 01, 2015, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
It's starting to look like L23 NG..... but still tons of work. Plan is to use this fuse to test fly it and then use it as a plug. At this point fuse looks somewhat square but will fix it once cross section from Blanik guys arrives.

Paul
Oct 04, 2015, 04:55 AM
Thread OP
First assembly and first public pics for you RC groups guys.....

Cheers
Feb 22, 2016, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
Hi all,
it's been a while, so a little update.
After many e mails with Blanik company, I have all the info I needed to finish this plane.
Wings are ready for covering and fuse just got a final coat of filler. Before end of this week I will put a white top coat on and assembly can start ....
I did cut of vertical fin from original, as it was too slanted backwards (I was told they would use same section from L23, but this was changed later) and made it according to their new drawings.
Just showing new shape of fuse. Looks just about right.

Cheers.
Paul
Mar 19, 2016, 05:06 AM
Thread OP
Hi guys,
ready for maiden.......well just about.
With about 2kg of lead up front, AUW comes to just bellow 12kg.
I didn't bother with retract, so a wheel is in semi retracted position.
Somehow it looks better in real then on pictures. It could probably use some more decals to spicy it up a bit.
Will report on flying once it gets airborne,

Cheers,
Paul
Mar 21, 2016, 04:13 PM
Bryan Wyatt
Very nice!
Apr 18, 2016, 03:05 PM
Thread OP
Hi all,

well maiden has been postponed, as glider was requsted by Blanik Aero to be exhibited at AERO Friedrichshafen in Austria this coming weekend, so maybe in a couple of weeks. In the meantime I did put on some stickers to make it look like a real plane...

Cheers
May 29, 2016, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Hi all,
so this past Saturday I managed to get one flight to get some pics before thunderstorm moved in. It flies pretty well and I'm happy with it. Just have to play with CG to fine tune it, otherwise no problems at all.
Overall a big smile on my face.
Now we have to hope that we will see a real one pretty soon, so Blanik can again help all those future pilots as it did for many years in the past..

Cheers.
Paul
Jun 14, 2016, 09:34 AM
wow....thats nice work. would be this nice available?
Jun 14, 2016, 09:44 AM
beastie! what he said above.....
Jun 22, 2016, 07:04 AM
Thread OP
Hi all

a few more pictures from last weekend flying....
Jun 08, 2017, 07:27 AM
Hi , I am trying to make a scaled model of Blanik L-23 Super Blaník/L-23NG. I have search and found following details for the aircraft.
Airfoil: root: NACA 632A-615 ; tip:NACA 632A-612

I searched but could not find these airfoil . Please can some help me out.

Thanks
Last edited by koolsolar; Jun 08, 2017 at 07:28 AM. Reason: more detail about model
Jun 08, 2017, 02:39 PM
http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/deta...=naca632615-il

the results of a 30 second search, hope this helps
You might be better off with the HQ3514. http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/deta...foil=hq3514-il
Stu

Quick Reply