Thread Tools
Jul 11, 2004, 01:50 PM
Master ReKitter
uglyplane's Avatar

Flying with some 'zoner's in Austin today..


I had the pleasure of meeting Moter and hooking up with Lex Talionis in a vacant field by 620/183 in the Austin area today. I flew my Parkhawk (did OK, power was weak), Wind Buster (awesome!!! some hits on the GWS RX...) my SS and Superfly (elevon hinge failed, a spot of CA and it was right back in the air.)
Moter and Lex flew thier SS's and I must admit, for low time RC pilots, they did great in the wind we had to deal with. Another RC'er (Jim) was flying a foam 3D plane and I hadn't seen him in 4-5 years (we flew at the same AMA club, back in my glow daze).

Here's a pic of the squadron, notice the diminutive WB...
Last edited by uglyplane; Jul 11, 2004 at 01:54 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2004, 03:27 PM
Texas..Bigger than France
moter's Avatar
Lex just posted this in parkflyers forum.. hehehe everyones gonna hear about Austin Today
Jul 11, 2004, 04:04 PM
Bubble Head SSN 762
LexTalionis's Avatar
Lets rewind...I wanna do it it all over again ;-)

Lex
Jul 12, 2004, 07:01 AM
Texas..Bigger than France
moter's Avatar
next saturday morning will be here soon...my freind

put that brushless motor on your SS this week
Jul 12, 2004, 10:47 PM
Master ReKitter
uglyplane's Avatar
I'm going to try to get takeoff clearance and hook up with y'all too.. Right now I'm in Plano with the SF and WB and no batt's. Left them @ home in my new Brinks fire proof safe....doh!!!!
Jul 13, 2004, 08:09 AM
Bubble Head SSN 762
LexTalionis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyplane
I'm going to try to get takeoff clearance and hook up with y'all too.. Right now I'm in Plano with the SF and WB and no batt's. Left them @ home in my new Brinks fire proof safe....doh!!!!

That blows chucks...take some telecom wire and AA batteries and make a 10lb pack and see it your little WB can take off

BTW, how did the video of the WB turn out? You know I never commented but I think she's a little too hot for me on the landing...I'll need another intermediate plane to train on before going to a mini-pylon racer

See you next weekend.

Lex
Jul 13, 2004, 11:16 AM
Master ReKitter
uglyplane's Avatar
With a little headwind, the WB slows down very well. From what I can tell, you aren't too far off from flying one. yeah, maybe I'll wire up the rental car battery and fly it on a tether....
Jul 16, 2004, 09:45 PM
Registered User
Have you guys tried the old Executive airfield near Parmer/ I35? I've been flying there some with the larger planes.

And where is this 620/183 spot? I live just a couple of miles away. Is there a smooth area to ROG?

Hope to meet up with you sometime.
Jul 16, 2004, 10:04 PM
Bubble Head SSN 762
LexTalionis's Avatar
I work at the Dell campus right near the executive airport...havn't flown there yet...I'm just a newbie learning to fly a SS.

We fly from the East parking lot of the 8 or 9 story high rise (brown building next to Luby's). You can't miss that high rise...it's the only one for miles.

Lex
Jul 16, 2004, 10:26 PM
Texas..Bigger than France
moter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baker
Have you guys tried the old Executive airfield near Parmer/ I35? I've been flying there some with the larger planes.

And where is this 620/183 spot? I live just a couple of miles away. Is there a smooth area to ROG?

Hope to meet up with you sometime.

Im going to be working really close to the old Executive airfield really soon. [CarMax is opeing soon @i-35 and brakker] Go to Pecan park road, follow it under 183 and follow that around to behind Lubys. You will see a huge field and a road that runs between the parking lot of the Bank One building and the HUGE lot. Usually there early am till it gets too hot or evening till you cant see any more. msg me and we can all hook up moterhead@sbcglobal.net
Will probably be there early Sunday and possibly late sunday evening. Im all for flying Saturday.. just Boss248 has to wrk and Lex is ill

Look foward to seeing ya
Jul 17, 2004, 09:52 AM
Registered User
Thanks Lex, Moter;

Yes, I know where that is. I flew there some years ago, but used to get too much traffic interference on the road. It hadn't occurred to me that the Target has closed and the road is probably vacant on weekends. I'll try to get by there on Sunday if I can.

I just got a new Accord 47, which I'm still checking out, and its definitely not a parkflier. So the Executive spot is perfect for me, although a bit of a drive. My landings aren't always right where I want them, so I need a lot of space. I also have a small Vermont Belle and a Formosa I could probably fly from the 620/183 spot.
Jul 17, 2004, 12:08 PM
Texas..Bigger than France
moter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baker
Thanks Lex, Moter;

Yes, I know where that is. I flew there some years ago, but used to get too much traffic interference on the road. It hadn't occurred to me that the Target has closed and the road is probably vacant on weekends. I'll try to get by there on Sunday if I can.

I just got a new Accord 47, which I'm still checking out, and its definitely not a parkflier. So the Executive spot is perfect for me, although a bit of a drive. My landings aren't always right where I want them, so I need a lot of space. I also have a small Vermont Belle and a Formosa I could probably fly from the 620/183 spot.

Let me know when you may be going out again. Lex has a good place near his house that is close to i-35 and 620. We get little or no traffic at all. Most ppl drive very slow by just to watch some stop by and ask questions.

I dont know exactly when we will be there sunday. It will be either early am or early evening. Ive got a new brushless motor imdieing to try on my Slow Stick
Jul 17, 2004, 07:29 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
crashsiegel's Avatar
Guys,
Don't forget Sunday is Day 2 of the San Antonio Prop Buster Popgun 2004 event at the Bandera field:
http://www.propbusters.org/flightline.php#bandera
max .25 glow, max .30 four stroke and all electrics.

Was there all day today and had "help" keeping Big-T up for 36 minutes (1 flight, 1 pack). Still had plenty of power left when I finally landed it.
Crash
Jul 17, 2004, 10:36 PM
Registered User
Thanks for the invite, Crash. Sounds like fun, but I don't think I can make it.

Moter, I'm going to try to get out for some flying about 9 in the morning. I've just got time for an hour or so. If you're going to be flying around then, post the location and I'll see you there. Otherwise I'll be at the Executive airfield.
Jul 18, 2004, 09:59 AM
Registered User
Oh well, I got preempted by a car rally.


Thread Tools