Jan 21, 2002, 11:51 PM
Thread OP

400 Size CCPM Home Brew Copter

I have been mulling over this idea now for a week or so. I love the idea of flying inside when the weather is bad. But I also want to fly outside when it's nice. Wouldn't it be nice to have something in between the piccolo/hornet and Eco/Voyager? So my mind started to churn out ideas. 30-35" rotor. I looked at some of the .30 glow heli's and the similar size electrics and came up with an average tail ratio size of 5.4:1. So 5.5-6.9" tail rotor.

The frame is the easy part. Lasercut or cnc cut fiberglass plate. Carbon Fiber would be better. But it's a tad too pricy for "prototype" use. I figured I'd just epoxy the frame together untill I know the thing will fly. Then make it screw together.

For power I'm hoping a SP400 7.2V will be adequate but if not the Kontronik Drive 150 should surely work. And 600ae's for juice. And of course HS-55's for control.

Now my problem comes with the rest of the heli. The head, swashplate, tail drive, gear's, and etc. I've been mulling over the idea of using the LMH's tail assemly and drive gears for the tail. Wich looks like it should work. I'm sure I can find a swash that I can use somewhere. And I have no idea of what to do about the head. The Main shaft is no problem. I can get pretty much any thickness I need. Gears might be a problem. I looked at Tower Hobbies and the largest Spur gear I could find was 124t. Is there a better place to look for gears.

It's a little difficult to put all of my ideas here. But what do some of you more experienced heli pilots think. Is it doable. Any ideas on piecing together a swash, bell hiller(I'm sure I could make it), and a Head? Any thoughts would be great. Hope I haven't bored you too much.

Is there a reason there is no simillar heli on the market allready? Something I'm overlooking maybe?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2002, 11:59 PM
We have (had) a project over at seheli for a S400 class heli. We will get this project going again but so many have been doing so many different things that the time has not worked out right. Maybe you could be the spark that gets things going. We have already named our group design as Twister 400 or T4 for short. Maybe consider joining the seheli group and post there. Many here will be part of it.

groups.yahoo.com/group/seheli

Cheers
John
Jan 22, 2002, 12:23 AM
Thread OP
Cool I'll go check it out.
Jan 22, 2002, 01:08 AM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan

hey

my micro heaven is a 400 class heli
Jan 22, 2002, 11:23 AM
Hey Tony,

Hows it been going. I'm happy to report that I finally have things moved in at the new house. I now have a building table setup upstairs and just moved the helis in. Finally can get back in the air! Also will be getting back on all my "other" projects. Had a slight mishap. I had a custom CF frame/boom ready and it fell out of my truck. Yep, ran over it ... crunch ... ouch .... boooo. (Johnk, Bill,Will - if you read this I have delay ..........) Oh well, at least I have a place to work now rather than the dining room table. The wife is much happier.

Hey, forgot that the MH is a 400 machine. Do you have any prints or drawings of the little guy with dims? I really want to build a 400 class machine just to say I did it. Would be nice to use the Heaven as a guide. I may ask you to measure a few things for me if you don't mind and have time.

I've been flying computer sim lots as of recently. I wonder if my real flying will be better? Will let you know. Will be out of town this weekend but should have something in the air the following week. Moving the Super 7 to the Hornet and the 8UHF to the Voyager. I really need to order a Berg RX. Ah, the woes of getting things back in the air (grin).

Cheers
John
Jan 22, 2002, 05:53 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan

hey , John

glade you getting in your house , I just moved in to mine too , but now I got to paint the other half so the wife will be happy , I sure like 2 houses in 1 , I have my side with the helis and she has her side with the kids , just kidding , Im at home for a week so it will be next tuesday when I can help you , see ya and get that v going , and if you want to try brushless out on 8 cells let me know , I have a spair borchert and kontronic I will let you borry Tony
Jan 22, 2002, 06:08 PM
Hi Tony,

Very tempting offer on the brushless loan. Only reason I wouldn't want to do it right now is that I know I'll want to buy if I try (grin). I'm trying to build up my reef aquarium right now some so just pumped some money into it. Man, my hobbies cost way too much. I've given up flying (private pilot) for awhile, just cost way too much with the new addition to the family.

Stay cool (ok, for you perhaps warm is a better statement)

John

Quick Reply