Sep 25, 2015, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Off-grid weather station

We made a DIY off-grid weather station in August. It has been working in the last 30 days, measuring wind speed, direction and temperature. Data uploaded to a website via mobilenet, therefore anyone can check the weather at our flying field online.

You can see the figures here:
http://cserszegtomajelekes.hu/Szelme...ro.php?Loc=CSM

It's a test version. Contains Arduino Gboard, solar panel, battery and sensors, of course.

More pictures/video and latest updates available (in Hungarian) here:
https://www.facebook.com/CserszegtomajModellrepter

I'm open to answer questions and receive feedback if anybody has a similar experience.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2015, 08:04 AM
Hi Stomi.
Our airfield located about 75 km from the town where we live and this fall we decided to build same thing too. It is winter almost started, so progress is slow down now. At this moment our station collects wind speed, air pressure, air temp, sky brightness, data from rain sensor and battery voltage. Station sends all this data to our channel at thingspeak.com via GSM every hour. Later we going to integrate this data in to our web site. Now all setup just laying at window in my home. Testing period till next flying season......
In our plans is to get a picture from airfield and upload it to our web once a day, but now we are not sure about it. All system based on Arduino Mega.
What sensor are you use to get wind direction?

Cheers, Nikolay.
Last edited by El Chupacabra; Nov 10, 2015 at 06:26 AM.
Nov 08, 2015, 10:51 AM
Thread OP
Hi Nikolay,

I use GY-271 (HMC5883L) magnetic/compass sensor. It turn with appliance (see picture above).

Why do you use separate GSM module instead of GBoard? It looks more complex.
Nov 08, 2015, 07:57 PM
GBoard costs $46+ shipping instead of Mega 7$ shipped + SIM900 $16 shipped. I am use two separate power source, one set at 4 volt for GSM, another at 5V for Arduino and sensors.
It is not clear shown at picture... is all station housed inside the bottle?
Last edited by El Chupacabra; Nov 09, 2015 at 07:03 AM.
Nov 09, 2015, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
Yes, battery, solar panel, GBoard and sensors are in the bottle. Wind speed "sensor" is a DC motor. Temperature and rain sensor will be outside in the 2nd version.
Mar 20, 2016, 06:35 AM
Today opened new flying season and installed our station at airfield. It works well, all data is here .
Mar 20, 2016, 01:22 PM
Thread OP
Good work!

I'm working on second version. It's more compact. Test has just started but hopefully it will be in the field soon.
Mar 20, 2016, 01:52 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
Mount the propeller frontside back, it will be more effective.
TF
Mar 20, 2016, 01:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus Flyer
Mount the propeller frontside back, it will be more effective.
TF
Thank you for idea. I will try it.

At the moment I test the power consumption and data processing.

Quick Reply