Sep 25, 2015, 10:33 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

FPV system based on Android phones (App for Live Video)

I work on app for android (from 2.2 Froyo) that sends live image from one device to another. One phone is camera(Tx), another is monitor(Rx).
At the moment I have:
I receive image on second phone with slight delay (~0.1sec) on my old phones. From the Rx I can send command to take picture. Picture is saved on Tx sd card.
Image size is choosen from camera specifications for given device and is small resolution.
Picture saved on SD card is max resolution supported by Tx.

at the moment I make some code optimizations and add video recording on sd card function. It seems that nobody else is interested in this project so no point to post further progress
Last edited by asanovrus; Oct 13, 2015 at 03:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2015, 10:34 AM
Thread OP
reserved for specifications
Sep 25, 2015, 10:42 AM
Thread OP
Overview:
I have a bunch of old phones that I got for free or very cheap. I repair or use some defect phones and some have decent cameras. I decided to use them as fpv system. some existing aps I found have some shortcommings (please let me know if you find similar app). For example some apps stream video via TCP that is overkill for old phone or wifi connection.
I have dji phantom which is capable of carring a phone, There can be limitless other uses as security camera etc.
My task is a fastest possible update, its better to loose a frame that is delayed but get most recent image that camera captured. naturally, b/n TCP and UDP protocols I choose UDP. it is faster but without checking and resending. one phone sends packets to given Address and port and doesn't care if second phone still getting them.
I decided to send small JPEG pictures from camera preview and if needed save big photos or videos on local sd card. Both phones must be connected via WLAN (if android is old you need to install some wifi router app, if new, just activate mobile Hotspot on one of phones and connect another to that access point).
I will put the app on playstore ones it is checked on different devices. as for now, if you wish to check current version please PM me your email and I send APK file that you need to install on both of your phones.
Negative feedback might be discouraging future development so please let me know bugs or shortcomings rather then rating negatively.
Last edited by asanovrus; Sep 25, 2015 at 10:59 AM.
Sep 25, 2015, 10:44 AM
Thread OP

Videos

First demo video of beta version

Beta version of FPV Cam app - android FPV camera project (3 min 11 sec)
Last edited by asanovrus; Sep 25, 2015 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply