Sep 24, 2015, 10:20 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Thread OP
Discussion

HobbyZone Conscendo

http://www.horizonhobby.com/conscendo-s-rtf-hbz8600

Surprised there isn't a thread on this already.

Also available in BNF.

I flew it before leaving Horizon. Nice little glider designed by Matt Andren of Whipit fame.

Hobbyzone Conscendo S RTF and BNF (2 min 59 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2015, 08:53 PM
Old guy
Looks like the perfect thing to teach the grand kids how to fly/search for thermals.
Sep 29, 2015, 04:47 PM
Nice! I wonder what the flying weight and airfoil are?
Mike
Sep 29, 2015, 06:13 PM
Flying weight with battery is 20.5 oz (580 g).

I can't tell you what airfoil we used, but it is fairly thick for very good low speed handling and keeps the top speed down since this is a Hobbyzone Teach Yourself to Fly product.

As just a powered sailplane in experienced mode I can tell you it thermals well and is a lot of fun to fly. Its a good size to keep in one piece, yet the wing comes off easy if needed.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Sep 30, 2015, 11:27 AM
R/C addict...
Looks awesome. Couple questions:

1) Will this be available as a PnP model without SAFE?
and
2) Why HobbyZone? I though HZ and PZ were being discontinued in favor of Eflite?
Sep 30, 2015, 04:24 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicycle
Looks awesome. Couple questions:

1) Will this be available as a PnP model without SAFE?
and
2) Why HobbyZone? I though HZ and PZ were being discontinued in favor of Eflite?
While I can't claim to represent Horizon any more, I can give you a good idea of where the Conscendo is positioned.

HobbyZone is Horizon's "Teach Yourself to Fly" brand. It's not just a brand for trainers. All the flying vehicles in HobbyZone are designed to give the rank beginner the best chance possible of learning to fly without help from an instructor. Because of this, the lowest completion level we're likely to see from HobbyZone is Bind & Fly.

With SAFE, the Conscendo makes a fine trainer, even with the rigorous Teach Yourself to Fly requirements. Without SAFE, or more accurately, with the receiver in Experienced Mode, the Conscendo is a nice sport-flying sailplane.
Sep 30, 2015, 04:26 PM
Old guy
Hey Matt you guys working on A full size DLG yet?
Oct 02, 2015, 04:59 PM
click HERE 2 C my BLOG
guys
when will this likely be available?
Oct 02, 2015, 05:10 PM
Seems like this would be of great interest if offered as a stand alone kit without SAFE.
A lot of modelers don't want to have to pay for items they will not be using!
Oct 21, 2015, 12:34 AM
Glider lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirlink
guys
when will this likely be available?
Hobbyzone.com lists an ETA of 10/29/15. That's next week!
Oct 21, 2015, 04:49 AM
click HERE 2 C my BLOG
Super thanks
Oct 23, 2015, 08:36 AM
The Hobbyzone Conscendo S is shipping from Horizon Hobby today!

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Oct 29, 2015, 09:23 AM
Work....fly, repeat...
Looks like a great flying plane! Surprised not more chatter about it. Perfect for beach dune slope soaring. I kind of like the added benefit of a 'way out' of a bad situation. With a glider way out, I have gotten disoriented and a SAFE fix is a nice addition. Sure, don't have to use it all the time, or hardly ever, but for the looks and the price point it looks like a great plane. Perfect plane to introduce a friend to RC flying.
Oct 29, 2015, 03:12 PM
Glider lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon
Looks like a great flying plane! Surprised not more chatter about it. Perfect for beach dune slope soaring. I kind of like the added benefit of a 'way out' of a bad situation. With a glider way out, I have gotten disoriented and a SAFE fix is a nice addition. Sure, don't have to use it all the time, or hardly ever, but for the looks and the price point it looks like a great plane. Perfect plane to introduce a friend to RC flying.
I agree - I'm definitely getting this for Christmas. I wouldn't have purchased either the Adagio or the Walrus if this had been available. I crashed the Adagio right away because I wasn't a good enough pilot, and I'm nervous when flying my Walrus. I found out I love gliders after getting the Radian UMX, but I wanted a 1.5m rather than a 2m glider. This is exactly what I need!
Oct 29, 2015, 03:44 PM
When I first saw the pic of this glider, my first thought was "oh, another really cool looking super fast hotliner I can't fly."

Glad it's got the beginner mode for flyers with all thumbs like me and looks it's for experts at the same time.

Quick Reply