Sep 24, 2015, 12:12 PM
Was a lookin fer loomyum foral
Thread OP
Discussion

Show Us Your Dangerous Junk Speed Control

I'm not happy about this, two in a row, so disgusted I didn't want to ask for a refund. Cost me a plane and could have set the house on fire. Not sure if the intention is to do a number on the vendor, the customer, or both.

These HURC 80's coming out lately are a fire waiting to start. First big and obvious trap is a metal plate that is not properly attached, a small pressure on it can short the battery lines or the motor drive lines. It happened on both, and all of this series will do the same.
If you look at the solder blobs on the motor leads, you can see where it got blown out by the plate shorting to them.

Second trap is the positive battery lead soldered in a big glob, spilling over to the negative trace which has far too little separation between the circuit board traces. It didn't short out until the board gets a little pressure on it.

The old series seems to be ok. Bought another one and thought it would be like the first. No, seems the days of those cheap deals are over. So many people claim these cheap ESC's are ok, but every cheap ESC I bought was junk.

I think I'll be better off with quality rather than quantity, a bunch of fire trap junk has no value against one good airplane that is mostly at the mercy of my flying skill.

You can fix those two problems with that HURC 80 and now intermittent operation problems come up. I wasted several days chasing intermittent operation on both. It's so bad, it looks to me like they tried to make it bad.
No more tempting junk please.
Last edited by Chophop; Jan 11, 2018 at 07:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2015, 12:20 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.

Show Us Your Dangerous Junk Speed Control

I wasn't sure if a picture of my right foot counts ?

Sep 24, 2015, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
I wasn't sure if a picture of my right foot counts ?

That is funny
I'm glad i wasn't drinking anything when I read it.
LMAO
Sep 24, 2015, 12:45 PM
Thread OP
I can tell you that stuff there is going to lead to regulation of these devices and maybe higher yet prices. These things are high power electronic devices, that one near 2,000 watts. They can go bad and cause inJURY or even disasters.

Don't be surprised when this sort of junk gets locked out of the market by regulation.
Sep 24, 2015, 12:56 PM
I have used several HURC ESC's (never had any problems)
I have the 80 amp HURC OPTO in my old Balsa USA Enforcer.

You can get a bad ESC with any brand.
I doubt we will be seeing any government regulations on ESC's
Sep 24, 2015, 01:19 PM
easily confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop
I can tell you that stuff there is going to lead to regulation of these devices and maybe higher yet prices. These things are high power electronic devices, that one near 2,000 watts. They can go bad and cause inJURY or even disasters.

Don't be surprised when this sort of junk gets locked out of the market by regulation.
Good point! I'd urge manufacturers to do two things:

1) Check your products for safety. Flaws like those listed should be easy to circumvent.

2) If you're confident that your product is safe, take the trouble to submit it to a private institution like Underwriters Laboratories...and do what's needed to gain their approval.

A bit of effort now will help, not hurt your bottom line. Most people are rational and would gladly pay a bit extra for the peace of mind that comes with the UL seal of approval. You'll sell a lot more units if consumers are aware of it, and you'll keep the rapacious snout of government OUT of the equation.

Otherwise, you're risking them getting involved and regulating you to death. Remember, governments really don't care about people, but they sure do LOVE power, control and rent-seeking through fines and licenses.
Sep 24, 2015, 02:37 PM
Thread OP
I was under the assumption these devices are already under control for our protection. You don't know where stuff like this comes from. Even enemies of the country that sent them here could be provoking hostilities between us and the careless cheaters who make things this way.
Private citizens have no resources to insure our personal safety and financial assurance. The government does.

The old version seems reliable and ok. Not this one. Look at the quality of circuit boards made by reputable makers of ESC's That junk is not even close.
Other brands are much better made and far less likely to fail and burn because of a little pressure. All you have to do to that one is tug the esc leads while connecting the battery and you can have a fire in your face, how about those eyes ? A co-worker had a capacitor blow up in his face, he wore an eye patch for a long time, then recovered his eyes. All power supply testers were covered with clear safety shields after that.

I didn't realize how careless I was before I learned. Now I have flipped to the other side.
Sep 24, 2015, 03:49 PM
I am very glad you posted this. I have 2 of the newer HURC 80's in a $800 twin 70mm F-4. I will be grounding that airplane until I can get replacements. Thanks for the warning!
Sep 24, 2015, 05:16 PM
Wow
Last edited by jetman; Sep 24, 2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: delete
Sep 24, 2015, 06:15 PM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
Quote:
I was under the assumption these devices are already under control for our protection. You don't know where stuff like this comes from. Even enemies of the country that sent them here could be provoking hostilities between us and the careless cheaters who make things this way.
Private citizens have no resources to insure our personal safety and financial assurance. The government does.
Well ... now we enter the LTUP spin zone.

My logic on it is this ...

a $30 HURC 80 speed control = visually check the unit thoroughly ....

a $150 Castle ICE-2 HV80 speed control = plug it in and play.

But, to be honest and fair, I did several years ago buy a FM-30 ESC from Motrofly and the red and black leads were soldered on in reverse on the board. I did not catch it and when I plugged the battery in the ESC cooked and the battery swelled. This is with the ESC in the plane and the plane in the house.

Motrofly did replace the ESC ( but not the battery, they should have as far as I am concerned ) but only after I sent them pictures of the ESC and they inspected the unit after it was returned to them.

Lesson learned. I inspect all components now before using them.
Sep 24, 2015, 07:02 PM
Thread OP
I can show the top quality build on the three Castle speed controls I have, an ICE 50, Phoenix 54, and Phoenix 35. All excellent.

I currently have a good eye on these Cobra ESC's. I tried their 60 amp , 6a Sbec with Cobra C-4120/18 540 kv motor. Soooo quiet, no ticks, skips, buzzes, or much heat, even at 50 amps 6S lipo. I'm running a Master Airscrew 12x8x3 , very impressed because it treats a 7 lb airplane as it were a sheet of paper. So far I see those worth $50. A bit cheaper than Castle, but I still have to evaluate them over a long haul to say they are as good.
Definitely a good idea to go $20 more on that over the HURC 80.

http://innov8tivedesigns.com/parts/s...-switching-bec

I'm sorry to be unhappy with HURC, I have several smaller 300 watt or so motors that are quiet and reliable, oh yes, no tree frog sound, I HATE that. But I got screwed on the big stuff. A 700 watt motor also. They refunded it and probably would have on the ESC, I just got tired of the musical motors hassle. I have wasted weeks of good weather on an attempt to save a few bucks. Was only supposed to be an experiment to first see if I could get a larger faster plane in over the fence. Then go for the higher cost stuff.
Last edited by Chophop; Sep 24, 2015 at 07:09 PM.
Sep 24, 2015, 07:40 PM
Thread OP
Some "good" news, I worried 4 lbs off the last week. I hit 190 lbs yesterday .
Sep 24, 2015, 07:56 PM
Castle has had their share of problems to.
Just do an internet search "castle ESC problems"
Sep 24, 2015, 09:14 PM
FA34HM3YC7
Quote:
If you look at the solder blobs on the motor leads, you can see where it got blown out by the plate shorting to them.
I can't see anything that shows what you are claiming. .

As for the intermittents; what is it that is intermittent?
Sep 25, 2015, 12:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by F106DeltaDart
I am very glad you posted this. I have 2 of the newer HURC 80's in a $800 twin 70mm F-4. I will be grounding that airplane until I can get replacements. Thanks for the warning!

You might take it apart and mod the heat sink/rf shield on the processor side, the one on the FET side is ok.
It could have the areas that touch the power "growths" (soldering). I am working on one I put a layer of scotch 27 fiberglass adhesive tape on, and a thin layer of epoxy over. To keep it from wearing through and shorting the growths.
That Scotch 27 is pretty good stuff for that kind of repair. Expensive, $20/roll. Adhesive has been holding strong and tacky after about 15 years on some jobs I did with it.

Quick Reply