Sep 24, 2015, 05:55 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Diatone ET 160 frame - support for 4" props, 160mm M2M!

A few weeks ago in the Diatone Blade and ET 150 thread, a Diatone employee mentioned that the company was about to release the ET 160. This is significant because the additional 10mm motor to motor (diagonally) allows for native 4" props; no cutting, snipping or fettling required

With the 150mm series of frames, users are faced with a dilemma - go with small 1104 motors and 3020 props or 1306 motors and cut 4 or 5" props down to suit. The former means you are limited in weight and power, the latter means extra hassle with prop cutting. Also, using 3" cut 4045 props, you are losing a lot of efficiency AND power from 3100kv 1306 motors, not an idea situation.

In comes the ET 160. This frame looks more or less identical to the ET 150 in silhouette but there have been a few minor changes thanks to user feedback in the Diatone Facebook group. Gone are the angled slots in front, replaced with vertical slots, which should be more convenient for mounting components. The thickness has also been increased to 2.5mm, time will tell if this is enough for the kind of high energy crashes this frame will be subjected to. Another change is the hole in the base plate, under the FC. I for one am sad to see this go. I have been using this space to stow my VTX, allowing easy access to the channel selection switches. Diatone have once again implemented the unusual method of milling out the centre section somewhat, to allow lower profile mounting of the PDB/FC. I have not seen this method used by any other frame manufacturer. So far on the ET 150, this has not been a weak point, so maybe a good move!

My ET 160 build will comprise of...

Frame: Diatone ET 160 v1.0 $19.88
Motors: DYS BX1306 3100kv twin pack (x2) $21.59
ESCs: DYS SN20A (x4) $11.06
Props: GemFan 4045 $2/2 pair
FC: CC3D Evo $15.99
Camera: 600tvl wide angle micro cam $9.80
VTX: Eachine TS5823 $11.69
OSD: Micro MinimOSD $8.92
Battery: TBC, 850-950 high C 3S? 4S? Will need testing

Looks like the 150

Milled out base plate

3D printed bumper - the STL files are freely available, not for sale (yet)

The 160 is a completely different beast to the 150 IMO. We are going to see insane power to weight ratios... Who wants the be the first to push 4S goodness into this 160mm frame?!

Diatone have sent me an ET 160 sample to review, should be here soon, more updates to follow. The frame will be available to buy from Banggood.com within a few days.
Last edited by DebianDave; Sep 24, 2015 at 04:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2015, 05:57 AM
Thread OP
Reserved for build pics
Sep 24, 2015, 05:58 AM
Thread OP
Reserved for tuning
Sep 24, 2015, 06:09 AM
Hi debiandave,
Do you know if this camera will fit?

FPV 1/4 CMOS HD Color Camera Module 600TVL 120 Degree Wide Angle
http://m.banggood.com/FPV-14-CMOS-HD...-p-944546.html

The one you intend to use have some defects? It's in one of the customer review.
Sep 24, 2015, 06:20 AM
The frame is now available! Check out bang good!
Sep 24, 2015, 06:31 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yappy88 View Post
Hi debiandave,
Do you know if this camera will fit?

FPV 1/4 CMOS HD Color Camera Module 600TVL 120 Degree Wide Angle
http://m.banggood.com/FPV-14-CMOS-HD...-p-944546.html

The one you intend to use have some defects? It's in one of the customer review.
It looks like it will fit (am away from a computer to have a proper look). The reason I am using the tiny cams is because how small and light they are. Lots of us use them on here and on the Facebook groups. Don't know what you mean by defects or reviews...
Sep 24, 2015, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebianDave View Post
It looks like it will fit (am away from a computer to have a proper look). The reason I am using the tiny cams is because how small and light they are. Lots of us use them on here and on the Facebook groups. Don't know what you mean by defects or reviews...
Thanks! Have just placed an order. Can't wait to receive it.

I attached a screenshot of the review.
Sep 24, 2015, 06:55 AM
Thread OP
Run it at 3.3-3.7v, problem solved
Sep 24, 2015, 07:09 AM
Radjets to Sadjets since '15
Looking forward to your build ,Dave.
Just ordered a Grasshopper 160 for much of the same configuration.

Being that space is at such a premium on these sized frames, I'm bouncing around the idea of mounting a minim micro on the back of the FPV camera,thoughts?
Sep 24, 2015, 07:18 AM
Thread OP
I tape mine to the underside of the FC (after wrapping it in heatshrink or kapton tape). Mounting to the cam would be cool too
Sep 24, 2015, 09:01 AM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
Ordered mine...
Sep 24, 2015, 09:21 AM
ordered
Sep 24, 2015, 09:37 AM
RotorX
*sigh*
Sep 24, 2015, 10:40 AM
Radjets to Sadjets since '15

A few questions if i may

I nominate you for the first 4S testing ,Dave

Do you think the sn20's will cope with the rpm from 4s?

Do you think a cmix will be required with these frames geometry or will the difference be negligible?

How are your parcels getting on at Heathrow? ,a couple of mine came through today but still lacking the one that is sat there.

Are you alright,Marty?
Sep 24, 2015, 11:01 AM
Thread OP
Marty is sad because this looks like an RX122 Atom. I understand the annoyance at the 150, it's in the exact same market. This is in another segment though, and the similarities to the Atom end at the arm geometry.

I once spent a whole Sunday messing about with motor mixing on a Deadcat 450 (no relation to the Atom, this was two years ago ) and ended up frustrated. That was on a crusty old 8 bit KK, these days it's far less important. On my 150 I had a play and barely noticed any difference tbh, maybe it pulls the nose up less in punchouts. A custom mix is certainly not a requirement to get this flying well.

SNs should be ok, they cope with 4000kv motors ok on 3s (on the latest BL and SN firmware). Swinging a 4" highish pitch prop will really hit the rpm down, the rated Kv is unloaded I believe

Quick Reply