Sep 23, 2015, 10:49 PM
Requires Further Research :)
Thread OP
Question

Indicator Light (LED) To Show Power On

I am thinking of making power-pods / power-modules that include Motor + ESC + Battery + Receiver all bundled together. (I know, not very original). I am thinking of including an On/Off switch and indicator light that shows when the power is on. Preferably an LED that can be easily seen at arms-length, and low power draw, and since I use 3s/11volt batteries a 10 volt LED that uses all three cells instead of only one cell. Any suggestions will be appreciated, especially if it includes information on where to buy them.

Thanks in advance
JD

BlueWonder 1500kv/3s version, 12 amp ESC, 1000mAh/3s/20c, Lemon RX
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2015, 07:00 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Try Google on - RC receiver switch with LED indicator.

My search brings up UK ones.

P.S. I wouldn't build something with the battery built in and connected. The battery should always be disconnected when not in use.
Sep 24, 2015, 08:53 AM
FA34HM3YC7
You don't need an indicator or switch because you will know that it is on when you plug in the battery just before you need the module to be powered and you will know it is unpowered because you will disconnect the battery immediately after use. .

Keep it safe.
Sep 24, 2015, 09:03 AM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-Slow-Thumbs
I am thinking of making power-pods / power-modules that include Motor + ESC + Battery + Receiver all bundled together. (I know, not very original). I am thinking of including an On/Off switch and indicator light that shows when the power is on. Preferably an LED that can be easily seen at arms-length, and low power draw, and since I use 3s/11volt batteries a 10 volt LED that uses all three cells instead of only one cell. Any suggestions will be appreciated, especially if it includes information on where to buy them.

Thanks in advance
JD

Is the battery visible when connected? Or can you get the typical JST-XH balancing and charging connector into a position where something that is plugged into it is visible?

If yes, consider using a tool costing only $2.44 that will give you the power on indication and more info too, that is this low voltage alarm from Deal Extreme:

http://www.dx.com/p/2-in-1-1-8s-lipo...8#.VgP_sLO37tQ

You would get an initial audible signal, a continuous visible signal, and could get another audible signal at you choice of a voltage between 2.7V and 3.8V.

And if that is not what you want you can do a search there for "voltage indicator" and browse the results and you may find something that will work for you.

"low voltage" search result - http://www.dx.com/s/voltage%2bindica...ndex=2#sortBar

Considering giving one of the 1S-8S alarms a permanent home on each or your batteries is not a bad idea. You can open the battery box and assess condition at a glance. Those indicators will place a small load on the battery so they should not be left in place for long term storage. But I'd leave one in place for a week or two without any concerns as long as I had the audible alarm on and set. It is really hard to ignore that alarm when it goes off in a quiet area near to you.

Jack
Sep 24, 2015, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-Slow-Thumbs

Thanks in advance
JD

A switch in the main power line is not generally a good idea, for if it fails you'll have lost control as well as power. And a switch rated for the kind of amps we use in RC flight will generally be far heavier than you want to carry around in your model. As others have mentioned, the generally accepted, and safe, method is to simply unplug the battery at the end of the flight.

Using LEDs to remind you that power is on is not difficult. Just get any 12v LED, strip or separate LEDs, from HK.
Sep 28, 2015, 10:26 PM
Requires Further Research :)
Thread OP
A - Thanks for all of the suggestions.

B - Yes, I agree the safest way to prevent accidental motor starts is to disconnect the battery when not in use.

I am looking for something quick and expedient for use while still on the runway,
before,
carrying the plane and transmitter back to a table,
setting down the transmitter,
setting down the plane,
opening the hatch,
gripping the battery wires in one hand,
gripping the ESC wires in the other hand,
and finally disconnecting the power.

I am starting to think about something like the “ArmSafe” jumper from www.SharpRC.com

Thanks again
JD
Sep 29, 2015, 02:26 AM
The jumper is a great idea if you want to be able to isolate your battery before going through all the steps you've listed. I've got a home-made version of the one you've linked in one of my models where access to the battery is from the front of the model -- i.e. past the prop. My plug is tied to the model by a short piece of nylon fishing line so I can't lose it.

Quick Reply