Jun 04, 2001, 11:25 AM
El Queso Grande
Thread OP

R/E vs. A/E vs. V-tail. Which one?

I'm going to take the plunge and get a 60" e-powered glider. What are the relative benefits/drawbacks of rudder/elevator, aileron/elevator and ruddervator (v-tail) set-ups. Why would I choose one set-up over another?

I am going to be using the plane for some thermal and light slope flying and just general fun flying around near home.

to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2001, 08:24 PM
El Queso Grande
Thread OP
Anyone?
Jun 06, 2001, 09:57 PM
Ascended Master
My most responsive sloper was a wingeron, V-tail thing. "aileron" and elevator.
Had a flat spin mode that I've never seen in any other plane. Couldn't count the turns, and it basically just autorotated.
Ailerons and a V-tail is probably optimum for flat out sticks-in-the-corners manuvering. The old NSP Swift was a good one also.. A/V-tail.

Sparky Paul http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff
PJB's Seriously Aeronautical Stuff http://www.networkone.net/~pjburke/index.html
Jun 07, 2001, 12:14 AM
Ailerons and low dihedral gives more efficiency and less stability. Aileron setups also give better response. The theory behind V-tails is the reduction in area over the traditional tail setup means less drag. Unless your at the edge ,say racing , I donít think youíll notice the difference.
-fish
Jun 10, 2001, 07:36 AM
V-tails look cooler!
Jun 10, 2001, 07:40 AM
For your purposes, design will make no difference in performance. I'd always go with ailerons, however, although there are some nice performing models that are just R/E. For soaring, I think a rudder WITH ailerons is useful too..
..a
Jun 10, 2001, 08:33 AM
p471701
p471701
if you have a rough landing area,the v tail seems to survive better than a conventional tail........gregg
Jun 10, 2001, 07:48 PM
El Queso Grande
Thread OP
Interesting about the V-tail since most posters seem to think they are less durable, not more. I ended up ordering a Flipper from Dymond. R/E. Got a lot of good feedback on the plane and decided to give it a shot. The price was good, too.
Jun 11, 2001, 09:03 AM
Hi:
One nice things about ailerons is that you can use them as spoilerons if you have a computer radio. Although not necessary on slower models, I use them even on my 100 inch P-13 Puma, and it lands at a walk. Plus, spoilerons practically eliminate tip stall problems.
With faster planes such as my F5B Laser, spoilerons are a necessity if you want to be able to land in a 10 acre field.
Regards,
Bob Stewart

Quick Reply