This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 23, 2015, 08:42 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

going up

the only way i knew of going up without motor was with thermals.
(of course there is a way of staying up at a slope, but that is not the subject of this thread).
the purpose here is to seek for means to climb at a relatively flat field.
until recently i was of the idea that thermals were the only mean to do so, but when i moved to a new field, and got a vario that tells with beeps when the plane is climbing, i could search for lift and practically 'see' it as if it were painted in bright color. and then 1 day with clear sky my plane began to find lift in a long rectangular area across the field. there was a light breeze but lift was across it, not a circular pattern. i used it for as long as i wanted. it didn't move. it was an exhilarating experience. i couldn't believe my eyes-and my ears! i had to trim the plane down and drift far from the area to get out of it.
then i began to post at several forums and learned that it was a wave. there are several threads where i got answers.
eventually i moved them to my blog but now am starting this again here to see if there are more contributions and add data as i get it.will talk about my experience, but 1st will tell how is the place where i moved recently and am experiencing this: it is all flat farm land around, located at about 5 km (3 mi) at the north of a large lake, from where the wind blows most of the time. the 1st time i just explained it before, and for several days it didn't happen, until now again in clear sky, but this time stronger wind blowing from the north. and there were several waves that moved with the wind so i had to drift with them. altitude in both cases was about 200 meters (450 ft).
will bring more data as i find more experiences like this, but all polite, positive and to the point contributions are welcome.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Sep 23, 2015 at 09:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply