Sep 22, 2015, 09:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

$1.00 Garage Sale find...hoping for help identifying this plane

So I picked this up at a garage sale over the weekend..for $1.00..it would have been on it's way to the dump if I wouldn't have taken it and I couldn't let that happen. It has to be mid 70's I would guess, it has the old style slide-type servos and is very heavy.

The wing and stab will probably have to be completely rebuilt but no problem there, it is covered in heavily doped fabric, the fuse is in excellent condition..but as I mentioned it is very heavy so instead of the mostly solid wood/brush-painted build I will be removing a lot of material and using covering.

It has an old Super Tigre .45..missing the carb.

Idk..looks like a fun winter project and I am excited to bring the old girl back to life, there is a tag inside with the name and address of a Dr. from Wisconsin, makes me wonder how it showed up in central MN.

Anyway, if anyone recognizes this plane and has any info on it I would appreciate if they would share, I haven't really been able to decide if it is a kit or scratch built.

Thanks,
-Bob
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2015, 09:02 PM
Thread OP
I should add the fuse is 44" long and it has a 60" wingspan
Sep 22, 2015, 09:21 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Goldberg Skylane 62?
Sep 22, 2015, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
I believe it is..I googled pics and it sure does resemble it.

Cool!
Sep 22, 2015, 09:38 PM
Thread OP
1967 ad..
Sep 23, 2015, 02:07 AM
Big gov never Works
It is a CG Skylane 62. I had that and the 42. Both very good planes. Great trainers by todays standards. Normal engine was a .35. I flew on an Enya .19! Silk-span and dope made it light.

Fuzz
Sep 23, 2015, 04:55 AM
Thread OP
Nice! This one is weighing in at nearly 7 lbs so she is a pig and she needs to go on a diet since the ad says 4.5-5lbs. It shouldn't be too hard to drop a couple lbs. Obviously the Skylane planes were very common so I do not have anything real special here..but the excitement for me is to save the old girl and get her in the air again.

I am sure the original builder might have passed on by now, but it would be fun to contact a son or daughter and ask them if they recognize the plane.

-Bob
Sep 23, 2015, 06:47 AM
Hi, Bob.

The pans are available on Outerzone if you need them.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5923

Cheers!
Sep 23, 2015, 10:44 AM
Thread OP
Thank You! Yes they will be very useful!

-Bob
Sep 23, 2015, 01:53 PM
Big gov never Works
My first RC was the Skylane 42.(circa 1966) MRC single channel tone escapement. Golden Bee .049. First flight I lost it for 2 weeks, till a farmer found it in his hay field in Barrington R.I.. On the other side of Narragansett Bay! I forgot to turn the Rx battery pack on... No damage, and I learned single channel rudder only flying.
Later it got an ACE pulse SC. AUW was about 20oz. Wonderful day's, back then. Actually flying a plane with no strings or wires, or no free flight.

Fuzz
Sep 23, 2015, 03:41 PM
Thread OP
I bet you felt pretty ill for those two weeks..great story! I take it you had your name and address in the plane as this one does?

Common practice in those days that many do not follow these days (including myself) but really still should, even with our fancy equipment now something can always go wrong.

I had an experience a couple years ago when I was getting ready to maiden a Tower Trainer .40 that I had built for a friend..he had not learned how to fly yet so it was my job to make sure she flew..and she did..beautifully and completely straight away from me with no control of it at all until I realized I had forgotten to extend the antenna on the Tx..with luck I realized it just before it dissappeared from site and was able to bring it back.

I wasn't lucky enough to live in the age of escapements, control line, or free flight and I hope someday I will be able to learn more about it, obviously that is going to sound strange to some people but I have always been interested in the earlier years of this hobby. I have an old control line plane my dad partially built and I am still trying to find more parts of it and hopefully get it in the air.

Maybe I am too excited about the Skylane I found here, but I feel a real accomplishment if I can make her live again..much more than I would if I went and dropped $150 on some new kit or ARF.

Bob
Sep 23, 2015, 04:53 PM
Big gov never Works
Yes, Bob, that was common practice. Flying with a single channel escapement, was flying a guided free flight. We trimmed them to fly in a large left circle. (The Skylane was not trimmed so..) When left turn was done, and the button held, the plane would spiral down and pick up speed. The button was released, the next push of the button gave right. If you continually blipped in a quick right/quick left, back to right, the plane would do a loop. It took practice. If you gave left and held it in the vertical portion of the loop and had enouh throw, it would barrel roll.

Took lots of trimming. The escapement ran off a rubber band. You had to bring a hand crank drill with you to the field to wind it. If you ran out of winds...well...

The ACE single channel pulse proportional, was a god send. Go left and right when ever you wanted to. And how much throw you wanted. The rudder wagged back and forth all the time. The degree of wagging(left&right) was your control. Could not hear the acutator when the motor was running. But, after it quit, you knew you still had control from the buzzing.

My first multi-channel was a Rand Galloping Ghost pulse. Thats another story.

I admire you for you interest and dedication to the old ways. People now-a-day's, don't know what they missed. Possibly you can build a new one, with lighter equipment and materials, it would be a dream. The good thing, is it's all wood. Just the windscreen was plastic. It would be great to do one with Poly-Span and lacquer.

Good Luck!

Fuzz
Sep 23, 2015, 05:24 PM
Ah, the good ol' days.

I taught myself to fly, poorly, with a Jetco Navigator flying boat and a Rand Galloping Ghost. As I recall, the flight battery alone was nearly a pound. I never did get that first Navigator to rise off the water and I would launch it from the bow of a speeding boat until I developed my technique to the point I could launch from the beach. Then it was time to launch the boat to retrieve it, dump out all the water, glue the tip floats back on, and wait for the darn radio to dry enough to plug it in without smoke. I did finally make two perfect landings with it. Both occurred when I got on the wrong side of power lines and it returned to idle and landed itself; once on a putting green.

Cheers!
Sep 23, 2015, 09:09 PM
Thread OP
I love hearing these stories of the older times, I have a bunch of late 50's to early 70's modeling magazines which of course are more control line and free flight (or somewhat controlled free flight maybe) planes than today's magazines that are all about having the best and most expensive equipment and how to out-spend your fellow modeler it seems...not all but some

Even the ad I posted here, $21.95 for this kit in 1967 but yet I have searched here and found a few for $150+. I guess hearing my dad talk about how he baled hay and worked his butt off just to buy something that seems so inexpensive..and sadly to many excuse me but "primitive" to us these days compared to what is out there now, gives me the urge to want to learn more about it and preserve what many have forgotten or probably have no clue of.

This plane to me is a challenge to preserve the past, it is older than I am and I wish it could tell stories. So I would rather salvage every bit of usable material on it, rebuild the rest and enjoy the fact that she will fly again.

Thinking back to when I was maybe 6, my brother and I picked rocks and bought ourselves a white foam glider that had the big rubber band launcher. He and I tried for days trying to get that piece of garbage to fly. We crashed and glued..crashed and glued, then one day my dad came out to the field..never said a word..pulled a big wad of chewed bubblegum out of his mouth and stuck it on the nose. He said 'try that' and walked away. We launched that glued up old glider and it flew high caught a thermal and we watched it fly beautifully until it was out of site and never saw it again..that day I learned what COG meant and I have been hooked ever since lol

Bob
Sep 24, 2015, 12:57 AM
Big gov never Works
Yes, Peter, the Navigator was another great plane. I built several. First was control line, to be used after a good rain kept those bratty kids off that flooded baseball field. Pitchers mound was the only dry land. (of course I helped the issue by blocking the drain area, the night before the rain. Then the city realized that it made a safe skating area and kept kids off the pond in winter)

Bob, I thought CG ment Carl Goldberg. Hmmm...thats a popular guy. His initials are on all my planes plans...

Fuzz

Quick Reply