HItec Aurora 9 - possible problem?? - RC Groups
Sep 22, 2015, 06:41 AM
Question

HItec Aurora 9 - possible problem??

G'day All

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on an issue I had recently.
I was flying my Starmax single 70mm F18 with my Aurora 9 when during a vertical maneuver the plane became unresponsive to any input. It crashed wiping out the nose. and I remember distinctly hearing the fan still running just prior to impact.

I suspected my Optima 6 receiver which has had a hard life. While using this receiver on a Catalina the previous week, I had an aileron servo drive full down and hold there un-commanded. I thought it might have been connected.

I rebuilt the nose on the F18 and bought a Minima 6E to replace the Optima. While doing some ground checks I had the servos become unresponsive again. While it was still unresponsive I checked the bind lights on the receiver and the Aurora which showed the TX and RX were still bound... but no servo control.

Should I be suspicious of the F18's OE ESC and standalone BEC discounting the Catalina event?
Or should I be suspicious of the Aurora TX?

The TX had the motherboard replaced just over 12 months ago due to a reverse polarity connection. It's software is at the latest level.

What's your thoughts?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2015, 11:27 AM
I might try to power the receiver with a known good 4.8v receiver battery and run some range checks with it. It's entirely possible the BEC failed or is failing.
Oct 07, 2015, 05:41 AM
G'day,

I've been further with my diagnosis.
I changed out the BEC on the F18 and started getting the glitch behavior.
I was getting ready to strip everything electrical out the plane and start again.
I then tried my Sabre that runs and ESC with integrated BEC.
Same problem.

Called my local Hitec repair tech and he advised try a new Spektrum module.
Bought one, tried that and with the Minima 6E same problem.
Optima's seem okay on the bench, but reluctant to try in the air.

Any more thoughts?
Oct 07, 2015, 11:16 AM
Again, I'd dry an independent 4.8V receiver pack instead of the BEC and see what happens...
Oct 08, 2015, 06:23 AM
Tried a 4.8 volt battery with the minima. Same result as the two standalone BEC and the 1 integrated BEC. Going to try a mates Aurora tomorrow. If I see the same fault with the minima I think I will trust my transmitter again with the Optimas and return the Minima for warranty replacement
Nov 15, 2017, 12:00 PM
Nick Burroughs
I have had a problem with my Aurora 9 which started when I tried to bind an Ikonnix rx to my tx.
I have been trying to do a factory reset using instructions from Rc Groups. This has not nworked at all well and I now seem to have the throttle control on the right of my tx.
Can anyone hep l please?
Nov 15, 2017, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwburroughs
I have had a problem with my Aurora 9 which started when I tried to bind an Ikonnix rx to my tx.
I have been trying to do a factory reset using instructions from Rc Groups. This has not nworked at all well and I now seem to have the throttle control on the right of my tx.
Can anyone hep l please?
You were doing a factory reset on your Aurora 9? It's possible the transmitter was a Mode 1 radio that was converted to Mode 2, you need only change the mode setting in the transmitters system settings menu. Once you set the mode, create a new model and delete the current model you are on.
Nov 18, 2017, 11:12 AM
Nick Burroughs
The problem is that although setting the tx for mode 1 the throttle is on the right hand stick. I am sure of this because iI switch on withe stick off the zero position the tx bleeps and tells me to reset the stick to zero.
I was now getting ready to return the set to the Spanish distributor (Fasol SA) but they appear to have gone out of business as the latest item on their website is dated 2016
Any help or ideas would be welcome
Nick
Nov 20, 2017, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwburroughs
The problem is that although setting the tx for mode 1 the throttle is on the right hand stick. I am sure of this because iI switch on withe stick off the zero position the tx bleeps and tells me to reset the stick to zero.
I was now getting ready to return the set to the Spanish distributor (Fasol SA) but they appear to have gone out of business as the latest item on their website is dated 2016
Any help or ideas would be welcome
Nick
You need to create a new model after you change the Mode to whatever mode you want. Then select this new model and delete the old model. If you change the Mode and remain on the same model memory then the transmitter will do this to you every time as the Mode is permanent on the current model.

So for example, you are on Model 1.
-Change the Mode in the transmitters firmware to whatever mode you would like
-Create a new model, for example Model 2
-Select Model 2
-Go back in and delete Model 1