Oct 25, 2015, 08:56 PM
There are some who call me....
Been enjoying your build very much. We installed a geotextile runway three years ago and it's great - almost doubled the club membership too. I suspect you'll love it for the maiden of the Dart.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2015, 10:45 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
I use "Automotive Goop" to glue balsa or plywood to metal. It doesn't sand well so just use it to fill the groove and hold the piece to the wire. Then I use wood glue to bond the cap piece on.

The goop sticks to the wire much better than epoxy does and is semi hard so it'll take and absorb jolts where brittle epoxy wont.

Mike
Oct 25, 2015, 11:05 PM
Thread OP
I was a little concerned about the epoxy not bonding to the steel very well but since the angled pieces of balsa will be bonded the fairing won't slip on the wire. Plus if the wire does come loose from the epoxy it will have a little wiggle room for vibration.

It's glued now anyway. The goop may be something I look into in the future. Thanks for the tip.
Oct 26, 2015, 04:52 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
I use "Automotive Goop" to glue balsa or plywood to metal. It doesn't sand well so just use it to fill the groove and hold the piece to the wire. Then I use wood glue to bond the cap piece on.

The goop sticks to the wire much better than epoxy does and is semi hard so it'll take and absorb jolts where brittle epoxy wont.

Mike
Thanks for the tip.

I know that Goop sticks well to smooth surfaces. How well does it adhere to balsa ?
Oct 26, 2015, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
Thanks for the tip.

I know that Goop sticks well to smooth surfaces. How well does it adhere to balsa ?
Hey Tom,

It pretty much sticks anything to anything. I've even used it to hold in fuel tanks. The problem is getting the damn stuff off your fingers when your finished. Its not real fluid so you have to put in place, not flow it like other glues. At least for me anyway, no matter how many sticks or gadgets I use, I always run out of patience and end up with glue all over my fingers.

Mike
Oct 26, 2015, 09:39 AM
A man with a plan
You can lick your finger or dip it in water, and use it as a spreading tool, and the goop won't stick.
Oct 26, 2015, 02:14 PM
Thread OP
Last update for a while.

Everything has been sanded with 220 grit. It's gonna hang in the garage until I get into covering mode. It will then get another sanding with 400 grit and a nice finish of either monokote or ultrakote.

For now she is going to take up residence on the ceiling.

Next on the building board is the 1/6 scale Fokker DVIII.
Oct 26, 2015, 03:35 PM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckimmey
Last update for a while.

Everything has been sanded with 220 grit. It's gonna hang in the garage until I get into covering mode. It will then get another sanding with 400 grit and a nice finish of either monokote or ultrakote.

For now she is going to take up residence on the ceiling.

Next on the building board is the 1/6 scale Fokker DVIII.
Thanks for sharing your build. It turned out nicely.
Oct 26, 2015, 08:41 PM
I agree, You did a nice job. Its a cute airplane.
Oct 27, 2015, 12:25 AM
It's cute and looks like a real airplane !
Feb 28, 2016, 07:46 PM
Thread OP
It was a shame to put covering on such a cool air frame, but it probably wouldn't have flown well without it.

So...here is the finished product. It does need windscreens and a pilot still.
Feb 28, 2016, 07:57 PM
A man with a plan
Wow! That looks great!
Feb 28, 2016, 08:41 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
Love that plane, nice job.
Mar 01, 2016, 04:41 AM
Oh Wow!... That is sharp.
Mar 01, 2016, 06:22 AM
Very nice.

Quick Reply