Oct 14, 2015, 03:18 AM
Now I have to land that thing?
Tracking you on your build. Outerzone is great, I have learned about models I would never have known about much less the full scale airplanes. I had downloaded these plans a while ago and glad someone is paving the way in a build. The wing slots are a cool attribute of this design, not sure if you are going to cut them in. What are you going to cover it with?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2015, 08:08 AM
Thread OP
No wing slots for me.
As for covering...I am most comfortable with monokote or ultrakote. I still haven't decided on color scheme yet. That will be a late winter decision. I want to have a few planes framed up and then have a huge covering party in the shop. So far the Balsa USA Taube 40 is framed. This one is 1/2 done and I want my Fokker DVIII done before ordering a large load of covering material. If there's time I will add a Bird Dog or F4B-4 to the stack.
Oct 14, 2015, 09:40 PM
Thread OP
Worked on the tail again today. I sanded and shaped the stab and fin. The elevator was hinged and a joiner bent to shape. Some 30 minute epoxy and a little patience and the stab is installed. I shaped and fit the 1/4 square fin base and epoxied the fin in place. I had to let in the fin spar to allow the joiner to rotate. Then the rudder was hinged. All hinges are small pin type hinges.

The stabilizer looks HUGE for this size airplane. It looks bigger than some I have on 60 sized airplanes. In reading past build logs for other Darts it looks like the oversized stab helps prevent violent pitching in flight.

Maybe tomorrow I can start filling in around the fin and lower rear fuse.
Oct 15, 2015, 08:22 AM
ARFs Are Me
You're moving right along. Looks good !
Oct 15, 2015, 11:49 AM
Nice job.
Oct 15, 2015, 02:06 PM
Thread OP
More work on the rear fuselage.
The lower rear fuse is a chunk of 1/2 balsa and some 1/16 sheeting. Another filler of 3/32 balsa provides a good base for the pushrods to exit.

The upper fuse around the fin is strips of 3/32 balsa to save weight and the 1/8 x 1/4 stringers are now in on the turtledeck. The fuse bottom is 3/32 sheet.

Moving on to the front of the fuse next.
Oct 17, 2015, 12:59 PM
Thread OP
I have returned to the wing. Nothing special here. Just finished sheeting the bottom of the wing, installed wing tips, shaped the LE and TE, and filled some gaps. Ailerons need built next. Pics later.
Oct 17, 2015, 03:46 PM
Thread OP
Here are a few pics of aileron construction. Really simple....1/8 balsa base with doubled up 1/4 balsa LE. The leading edge is fairly soft with a hard balsa sub-leading edge for the hinges to bite into. 3/32 balsa ribs complete the shape. Hinges are in also.
Oct 17, 2015, 08:43 PM
Thread OP
Since the wife is a bit under the weather I had some extra time in the shop today.
I covered the lower forward fuse and continued it to the wing.

Pretty simple stuff. This is in place of the solid block of balsa on the plans.

Before I close in the top I installed a couple of screws in F2 that will give an anchor point for a rubber band that will hold in the fuel tank.

Back to work tomorrow for 5 days. Won't get much done till next week.
Oct 17, 2015, 09:15 PM
A man with a plan
I'm really impressed by how quickly this project is coming along, but I also feel kind of stupid looking at it because I bought the plan 15 years ago and haven't built it yet. (I'm the one who uploaded it to Outerzone.)

Whenever I dig through my box of plans to choose the next project I always stop and look at the Culver Dart. I've thought about it a lot, so it's kind of weird to see one being built. I have a bundle of 1/2 inch square sticks, most of which have a bit of warp or twist. If I had found one really good straight one 15 years ago for the middle of the fuselage, I probably would have built this plane.

I really need to go back to my old plans and see how many of them I can build before I run out of time.
Oct 17, 2015, 10:09 PM
Thread OP
And I thought i was procrastinating by letting the plan sit for just over a year.

As for the twisted 1/2 square balsa... that's no excuse. You're better off with a laminated beam from 1/4" anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to upload the plan to OZ. It has gone together quickly. I hope to have it ready to cover by mid next week.

At this rate I could have 4 built by next flying season.
Oct 17, 2015, 11:13 PM
A man with a plan
I'll be watching to see how it turns out. So far it looks great. I'll have to build one of these sooner or later.
Oct 20, 2015, 02:42 PM
Thread OP
Quick update while there's nothing going on at work....
I decided to power this with a SuperTigre GS-45 instead of the .51. I am gonna save that .51 for something else.

The firewall is now epoxied in place. Some time on Friday I should be able to get back in the shop and work on rounding off the firewall and blending it into the side sheeting. The cowl may need to be made in 2 pieces to allow it to fit over the cylinder head and the Pitts style muffler I plan to use.

I don't know where the muffler came from- I know it was something that came in a box of "stuff" from my grandfather's shop. The holes don't line up with the .45, as it was likely designed for a .61. There is plenty of "meat" on the flange to allow me to drill a second set of holes to mount it. I'd really like to use a PItts muffler and I am grounded from ordering anything online after an Ebay binge last month. So, I will need to make this one work. More later....
Oct 20, 2015, 04:32 PM
A man with a plan
I'm sure the 45 will be plenty of power for this plane. What propeller do you think you'll use on it? The cowling is 6 and a half inches in diameter!
Oct 20, 2015, 08:59 PM
Thread OP
I usually use a 11 inch prop on a 40ish motor. We will see how it goes. I may need a 12 inch. Pitch is up in the air.

I do recall seeing plenty of planes with cowls that are more than half he diameter of the prop and flying just fine. Look at any P-47 or Beaver. They have huge radial cowls.

Although my Saito 50 is slated for another project I could use it in a pinch and drop a big-ole prop on it.

Quick Reply