Sep 21, 2015, 08:39 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Culver Dart build

After a long summer of starting a new job, going on vacation, and traveling for baseball, I have finally laid down a new spar on my first planned build for the fall/winter.

I decided on a Culver Dart, 59" wingspan. I have a brand new Super Tiger .51 for power.

The plan and build article can be found on Outerzone, or right here in this post.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2015, 08:52 PM
Thread OP
I spent a day making templates for the fuselage formers, wing ribs, etc. It was so much easier with my new scroll saw.

I also cut templates for a Fokker DVIII, but decided to start the Culver since I already have its engine.

Wings first.
The front spars are poplar, and the rear are hard balsa. The tops and bottoms are cut and glued together prior to inserting ribs. The center section of the wing has the ribs set at a different angle from the rest of the wing, so they will be inserted later. Because the outer ribs don't sit directly on the board, the spars were marked for reference.

Next move is to fill in the ribs and wait for the titebond to dry.

More progress tomorrow, then 7 days straight of work.
Sep 22, 2015, 06:29 AM
Nice choice for a build!
Sep 22, 2015, 06:36 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Good choice....-one of the two planes I'd like to see built.

The other is a Bellanca Cruise-Air, or Cruise -Master.

Good luck with your build.
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
Sep 22, 2015, 09:15 AM
ARFs Are Me
This should be an interesting build to follow.
Sep 22, 2015, 09:32 AM
I have a handful of Culver photos from a fly-in a few years back, if that will help.

Andy
Sep 22, 2015, 09:45 AM
Very nice subject for a Winter build. Will be following along on the sidelines.

Soft landings,

Joe
Sep 22, 2015, 01:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I have a handful of Culver photos from a fly-in a few years back, if that will help.

Andy
I'd love to see those photos. I am still deciding on a color scheme and which cowl to build for it. I like the simplicity of building a cowl for the radial engine, and probably will stick with that one.

I got a little distracted today by a delivery from HorizonHobby, so I set aside the Culver for an afternoon. Back to it soon.
Sep 22, 2015, 01:23 PM
Since it's from us, you're forgiven for getting distracted

Andy
Sep 22, 2015, 01:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Since it's from us, you're forgiven for getting distracted

Andy
Ordered Sunday night... delivered Tuesday morning... Can't beat it.
Sep 22, 2015, 01:52 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
The current six builds I have under construction are a testimonial to the fact that I never get distracted.....oooohhh shiny !
Sep 22, 2015, 03:21 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl
Good choice....-one of the two planes I'd like to see built.

The other is a Bellanca Cruise-Air, or Cruise -Master.

Good luck with your build.
I don't wish to hijack this build thread, Earl, but here is a fairly recent build of a Bellanca Cruise Master:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...a#post26293093
Sep 22, 2015, 07:50 PM
Thread OP
Apparently all of the organization in the world can't prevent stupidity from rearing its ugly head. My balsa rack is organized into thicknesses, and I still grabbed 3/16 balsa instead of 1/4 when I cut the rear spars. This explains why the rear spar slots are too big.

Oh well, it is really hard balsa and will hold up just fine.

Like I said earlier, the shipment received today took up some time finishing up a... gulp...ARF I picked up at a Toys For Tots auction last week.
Sep 22, 2015, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckimmey
I'd love to see those photos. I am still deciding on a color scheme and which cowl to build for it. I like the simplicity of building a cowl for the radial engine, and probably will stick with that one.

I got a little distracted today by a delivery from HorizonHobby, so I set aside the Culver for an afternoon. Back to it soon.
Here's what I got. It's a Globe Swift, not a Culver. Sorry. Still a pretty plane!

Andy
Sep 23, 2015, 10:15 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzltyr
I don't wish to hijack this build thread, Earl, but here is a fairly recent build of a Bellanca Cruise Master:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...a#post26293093
Thanks- they all look as if they came from the same factory, anyway.

Quick Reply