May 04, 2016, 05:13 PM
Bipes Rule!
Thread OP
Thanks. This was a but kicker to build. Hope it flys comfortably. Its heavy . 2.75 lbs
Last edited by RITTMEISTER; May 05, 2016 at 07:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2016, 05:34 PM
Bipes Rule!
Thread OP

Friday the 13 th

Maidened today. Wanted to fly nose up took a bit to get level flight. I feel like such an ass for putting this much dihedral in. I knew better but followed the plans. Absolutely no response on ailerons duh! The speed control went out i think because i used 6 servos barely got down without damage. So i need to seperate wing and re do dihedral. Also get a ESC and a BEC seperate. How much dihedral to apply now? Will a ESC with a seperate BEC work with 2-7 gr servos 2-5 gr servos 2-9 gr servos. I was using a 60 amp Hurc ESC wont spin the motor after working correctly then crazy then nothin. Servos still work?
Last edited by RITTMEISTER; May 13, 2016 at 05:57 PM.
May 14, 2016, 06:47 PM
Bipes Rule!
Thread OP

info on ESC Burnt

The motor is a. Power up 32 outrunner Brushless. ESC is a HURC 60 amp brushless motor ESC built BEC. PROP 3 blade 106. Plane AUW 3 lbs. Lipo 3 s 2200. 35c. Servos tower pro 2 -5 Gram servos y harness flaps, 2-7 grams wired together alierons and 2-9 gram servos for rudder/ elevator. All Heads up rc
May 15, 2016, 12:54 AM
Allways the hard way!
Ritmeister... that is a BEAUTIFUL Stuka! Pity about the challenges! I'm sure you will sort it!

In my humble in-experianced opinion i doubt if the BEC issues were only related to the amount of servos... There may have been contributing factors. Would 32-sized, 60A setups not normally require 4-cell? Maybe the motor/esc sucked your 3cell dry leading to lower than ideal voltage?

My FMS Mustprang had 7x 9g servos and electronic retracts. I don't recall having servo control issues with the built-in BEC. (My issues were too slow, too low and too green for a Mustang!)

But what i can see many guys go BEC anyway for safety... especially on works-of-art like your Stuka. Personally, i've never used them. (mostly as my planes are a fair bit smaller and minimum servos to achieve bank-n-yank flying)
May 16, 2016, 12:13 PM
Bipes Rule!
Thread OP

stuka

Thank you very much georgy!!! I have seperated the wings to change the dihedral. Any suggestions?? With all the dihedral it had the ailerons didnt do a thing in flight.
May 18, 2016, 09:34 PM
Bipes Rule!
Thread OP

dihedral

Wings were seperated and reglued. Repaired carbon spar what a pain in the rear. Dihedral is better now maybe ailerons will have some response. May have to remove the ailerons from offset and lower to normal .
Last edited by RITTMEISTER; May 18, 2016 at 09:43 PM.
May 24, 2016, 08:20 AM
Bipes Rule!
Thread OP
Should i put the ailerons and flap hinges where they usually go or leave them offset and lower than trailing edge. Last flight no response on ailerons so i removed wing and decreased dihedral. Wingspan 55" AUW 3.6 lbs
Last edited by RITTMEISTER; May 24, 2016 at 08:26 AM.
May 24, 2016, 08:32 AM
Bipes Rule!
Thread OP

offset controls

I have built sooo many planes/ jets cant count them. Cant hardly store them either. Still learning!!!Have 27 flyable planes the van can only carry 13. Still having fun thanks for all the helpful Advice!!!!!!
May 24, 2016, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RITTMEISTER View Post
Last flight no response on ailerons so i removed wing and decreased dihedral. Wingspan 55" AUW 3.6 lbs
I doubt dihedral was the primary issue. Planes like the Corsair and others have very serious dihedral and the ailerons at least do something.
Looking at the ailerons you had last, the first thing that struck me was that they are a tiny percentage of the wing chord (for model scale, aileron chord needs to be higher than for full scale - Reynolds number, blah, blah...).
Also with weight at 3.6 lbs and span of 55'', you're operating at pretty high wing loading - requiring even more control surface authority - especially at slower speeds.
May 24, 2016, 08:53 AM
Bipes Rule!
Thread OP

control surfaces

So today before i risk tomorrows flying i make ailerons bigger? Whats the ratio to the wing? I used plans and i didnt use plans on this plane. Lots of changes but the ailerons were the righr size but..............this design was for a 3 channel radio 1965 . Thats probably why so small. Planes design was for rudder steering.
May 24, 2016, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RITTMEISTER View Post
So today before i risk tomorrows flying i make ailerons bigger? Whats the ratio to the wing? I used plans and i didnt use plans on this plane. Lots of changes but the ailerons were the righr size but..............this design was for a 3 channel radio 1965 . Thats probably why so small. Planes design was for rudder steering.
I'd make aileron chord at least 25% of total chord. I'd also increase aileron span to at least 2/3 of wing span (looks to be about 1/2 of wing span right now). Do them without the gap to make them more effective.
May 24, 2016, 09:52 AM
Bipes Rule!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman View Post
I'd make aileron chord at least 25% of total chord. I'd also increase aileron span to at least 2/3 of wing span (looks to be about 1/2 of wing span right now). Do them without the gap to make them more effective.
Ahhhh well remove and reinstall flaps/ailerons....thinkin bout rewiring to get flaperons function. Right now the 2 aileron servos are wired together as is rhe flaps. Cut and resolder i didnt use y harness plugs.
May 24, 2016, 05:38 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Found your thread, Really nice build.

Read your comments on aileron lack of control. You can go for 25% as Nute suggested.

Did you try maxing out the ailerons that you have by moving the control wires to give max settings on the horns?

Don't crash!
May 24, 2016, 07:13 PM
Bipes Rule!
Thread OP

Ready to Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy View Post
Found your thread, Really nice build.

Read your comments on aileron lack of control. You can go for 25% as Nute suggested.

Did you try maxing out the ailerons that you have by moving the control wires to give max settings on the horns?

Don't crash!
Thanks!, well i cut and resoldered 12 wires. Now wired left/2 servos together and right /2servos together . Flaps and ailerons combined and radio set on Flaperons!
I removed all the hinges on ailerons and flaps and reinstalled level with bottom of the wing. Still a little gap.I have a ton of control surface and ATV. Tomorrow morning we will get this almost 4 lb Warbird up again . Once the radio is set on Flaperon can you still combine ailerons/rudder?
May 24, 2016, 07:28 PM
Bipes Rule!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckamikaze View Post
Modern designs have little or NO air gap along the hinge line. This makes even the smallest movement of the control surface more reactive. The Stuka uses OFFSET ailerons. Maybe flaps also, I don't have a pic handy. The large gap means the ailerons will be less effective per square inch, needing more area or greater deflection to achieve results. The problem is exacerbated at low airspeed.
The large amount of dihedral would help compensate for this at landing speeds.
AGAIN: my humble opinion as I understand it, I am not an aerodynamics expert.

OUT of WATTS, ALTITUDE & IDEAS
Boy were you right!

Quick Reply