New F3F World Record of 24:10" set by Lukas Gaubatz! - RC Groups
Sep 21, 2015, 12:39 AM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
Discussion

New F3F World Record of 24:10" set by Lukas Gaubatz!

Lukas Gaubatz set a New F3F World Record today at the Austrian F3F Championship - 24:10".

Congratulations to Lukas Gaubatz. Check out the video:

New F3F WORLD RECORD - Lukas Gaubatz (1 min 27 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2015, 01:57 AM
Mario Perner
at first, David STARY set a new World Record with 24.53sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=bSiyrjqMXMM

Later this new record was beaten by Lukas.

best regards, Mario
Sep 21, 2015, 02:15 AM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
Thanks Mario, great video. Thanks for the link. Crazy, crazy fast!
Last edited by David Olson; Sep 21, 2015 at 02:24 AM.
Sep 21, 2015, 02:16 AM
Team USA F3F Member
No disrespect to the pilots, because I know Lukas is a good one for sure. But it seems to me that there is definitely a sheer line that is used for a DS effect.

I really doubt that 10m/s would produce those times without it.
Sep 21, 2015, 03:16 AM
Phil.T-tailer
F-Tree-F

Yes, that's tree-line DS - but theres nothing in the rules that you cant do it - so hats off to these guys.
I foresee fast times, broken planes, and "bad" slopes with trees suddenly becoming popular

Phil.
Sep 21, 2015, 04:03 AM
First was anti-diving rule ...

maybe now we should implement a rule anti DS effect on the slope
Sep 21, 2015, 05:18 AM
launch low, fly high
A very long time ago, likely nearly 20 years ago... we set up an F3F course on Parker Mountain, but without any safety line. The times on the back side were almost exactly 50% of the times on the front side.

There are many variants in dynamic soaring that are utilized in F3F. Some are via the wind gradient with altitude on a small slope, some are via the bowl contouring, and evidently, some are via wind gradients induced by obstacles in front of the sighting devices.

The next step is to set up a course on a very large mountain ridge, where there is a ridge in front of the big ridge so that a pilot can do a more classic DS figure eight with less turbulence. The optimal time should get close to 15s with a really clean shear and strong wind. That will be really fun to watch! (from a suitable distance!!!).

I'll let the rules gendarmes sort out whether this event geometry is true "F3F", or a subset thereof. IMO it is only a small delta from the small slope "in/out" that generates speed via extracting energy from the wind velocity gradient.
Sep 21, 2015, 08:08 AM
I do agree. The small slope F3F contests are another issue, IMHO. They lack the continuous lift in the whole flying volume that, in my opinion, distinguish F3F slope soaring from another F3X. These contests look like FSDS (Front Side Dynamic Soaring) contests.

In the above video I don't see any slope flying during the 10 legs, only in the initial altitude taking, that needs a way behind throw to save the tree line.

Maybe a minimum depth, minimum slope angle and minimum distance to any obstacle could aid to maintain the F3F at the slopes.
Sep 21, 2015, 10:44 AM
Even more reason to go DS'ing!
Sep 21, 2015, 01:47 PM
A big step forward for better times, an even bigger step to make the results incomparable..

I guess I'm just really happy I'm not in to F3F anymore, I dont think it would be much fun to compete with unrealistic round times made by backside dynamic soaring (or/and by gyro gadgets). Looks pretty cool though, good luck with it
Last edited by hallo; Sep 21, 2015 at 02:00 PM.
Sep 21, 2015, 02:39 PM
Whats the world record in dynamic soaring again? oh.. thats right - I can find it in the DS section..
Sep 21, 2015, 02:51 PM
I bet the California guys are planting some trees this moment, I love this!
Sep 21, 2015, 02:52 PM
-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallo
A big step forward for better times, an even bigger step to make the results incomparable..

I guess I'm just really happy I'm not in to F3F anymore, I dont think it would be much fun to compete with unrealistic round times made by backside dynamic soaring (or/and by gyro gadgets). ..................:
Exactly. This is not a positive occurrence .
Sep 21, 2015, 03:49 PM
Well.. if I got the impression that the F3F community in general wanted a fair fight for all than I would love to be apart of it, but I haven't seen that at all - since I started.. looks more like Lance Armstrong and Tour de France to me. Just keep on going I love the entertainment, just as long as I'm not sweating any tears for it
Sep 21, 2015, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure what the fuss is about. All the guys at the event had the same opportunity. Lukas just used it a little better than the next guy. World records for F3F are not really recorded by the FAI to my knowledge. Just like F3B, fast times are just for bragging rights and something to strive for.

FWIW
Tom