This thread is privately moderated by Late99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 20, 2015, 04:19 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Skywing 38" Mini Edge 540 Maiden

My Twisted Hobby / RC Factory 39" EPP 540 Edge started to feel a bit too easy so I sold it. To replace it as a quick and compact every day flier I purchased Skywing 38" Mini Edge 540 from HobbyKing.

The plane went together easily without problems. I fitted it with Emax GT2215-09 (KV1180) motor and four Emax ES08MA II metal gear servos. Turnigy Plush 30A ESC was used to power it together with Turnigy Nanotech 3S 1000mAh batteries.

I have to say that this is one wonderful full fuse plane. A great step up plane before going up to balsa planes. It knife edges like balsa planes, I need to mix it a little to get knife edge adequate, but flat spins are really crazy! The plane doesn't seem to wing rock at all and if flies really slow considering its weight. Harrier landing is easy...

Maiden video (first two flights):
Skywing / Hobbyking 38" Mini Edge 540 Maiden (6 min 32 sec)
Last edited by Late99; Sep 20, 2015 at 04:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2016, 04:41 PM
Thread OP
So far I've emptied 65 batteries with the Edge. No major problems or accidents with it.

I've been testing different props on the plane.

10x47SF plastic prop
The prop I've been using most. Cheap and good overall characteristics. Motor stays cool enough and both thrust level and max speed are adequate, though not stellar.
Static tests (peak): 27,8A / 326,4W

10x6 GWS style plastic prop
Tested this hoping a bit more top speed. Top speed might have been a little better, but thrust was barely enough to survive some low level harriering / hovering control errors.
Static tests (peak): 26,4A / 305,6W

11x5.5 APC-E prop
Good top speed, good thrust. Heavy prop, so spools a bit slower, also a bit more torque roll. Both aspects not a major problem to me. In summer temperatures this prop might be too much for the motor.
Static tests (peak): 30,5A / 355,7W

I also bench tested 10x5 APC-E prop. It measured at 23,9A / 279,7W. I think this is a bit too low for me to even do a flight tests...

Above static tests were done using 2200mAh 3S battery. My flight batteries on the Edge are only 1000mAh so they also limit how much power I get really from the plane for longer periods. In short bursts these batteries seem to deliver nice power.
Apr 12, 2016, 01:04 PM
Thread OP

Status check after 105 flights

The Edge is still going strong after 105 flights / 8h 42min of flight time. I've had couple of small incidents with it, but nothing major. Once I didn't reach landing strip as ESC hit LVC, another time I accidentally hit ground / snowy farm field, but the plane "landed" on its wheels... On several landings I also hit snowy / icy walls of my walkway landing strip during winter.
  • Landing gear / wire has been slightly bent rear
  • Black colour has faded / worn out in the bottom cowling due to nose overs
  • Black color has worn out from canopy where canopy is lifted
  • All tires are in quite bad shape. I need to replace them soon. Asphalt walkway eats foam.
  • Whole elevator came loose in one landing where it hit ice / snow sideways (skidding). Simple re-glue...
  • Battery tray came loose after ~25 flights. I re-glued tray with epoxy and it has stayed in place since then.
Technically plane has been trouble free. Servos seem strong, accurate and fast, ESC hasn't caused any trouble and motor bearings are still in good condition. I'm even running the original prop still. However, it's important to go through the motor box with either CA or epoxy when the plane is build.

After all prop testing I find the SF 10x47 prop best for my flying style (my Emax motor is 1180KV). It offers enough thrust with very limited prop torque (my aileron throws could be a bit bigger). Wood prop would be even better, but I don't want to risk wood props in the limited landing area where I'm flying this plane.

I'm also really surprised with performance and durability of Turnigy Nanotech 3S 1000mAh 25-50C batteries. This plane stresses them to the limit, but they're still working well (I've got four of them).

This plane has been just superb for me to fly quick flights when time has been limited. And I like the way it flies. It's a small plane, so it can't tolerate a lot of wind well, but otherwise it fits nicely between flat foamies and "proper" balsa planes.
Last edited by Late99; Apr 12, 2016 at 03:15 PM.
Apr 22, 2016, 07:18 PM
Great thread Late99, thanks.

I just got one of these and am going through the build.

The instructions are pretty poor. There doesn't seem to be any info on side thrust when mounting the motor, what did you do for this? (I'll be using a Cobra 2217)
Apr 23, 2016, 06:27 AM
Thread OP
I thought that I didn't do anything for the thrust angle, but I was wrong. I went to fly in the morning and after that session double checked...

I have a bit right & down angle set up using rubber seals. You could use any type washer / shim that you have available for that. I guess I just went with gut feeling and trying to get the motor front aligned well with the cowl hole. And it worked relatively well for, I haven't adjusted those since.

Didn't have time to get the cowl off now, I'll check later if I can get better pics... You barely can see the rubber seals around motor X-mount screws behind X-mount.
Last edited by Late99; Apr 23, 2016 at 06:34 AM.
Apr 23, 2016, 12:31 PM
Thanks for checking.

I didn't notice that the hole in the front of the cowl was off centre. I just had a look and it's hard to see. I guess it will be more obvious if I offer it up with the motor mounted straight.

So just trial and error to get it right then?

If you do happen to have the cowl off it would be interesting to know the approx thickness of the shims you have used.

Mcbrain
Apr 23, 2016, 01:36 PM
Thread OP
Just did another 4 evening flights. Much better weather than in the morning, basically no wind.

After flying I took the prop & cowl off and lubricated motor bearings. Also took some better pics. I really used rubber seals so it's hard to give you exact thickness. They are actually quite thick, but are flattened by the screws. Why I like them on smaller planes is the fact that you can do small adjustments in motor angle by simply tightening or loosening the motor screws.

If you have normal thin metal shims I would use none on (from behind) bottom right (from behind), one on top right and bottom left and finally two on top left screws as a start point.
Apr 24, 2016, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the photos!

I will try what you suggest and see how it goes.

This is my first EPP foamie and it's a lot lighter than my other planes so it may be affected more by the side thrust.

Funny they don't mention anything in the build instructions.
Apr 24, 2016, 09:42 AM
Thread OP
I guess that with smaller props (10") the thrust angle is not very critical. The situation might be different with bigger ones(?).

It even might be that most of the folks at the Skywing Edge thread haven't used any thrust angel adjustments - at least not too many has been speaking about that.
Last edited by Late99; Apr 24, 2016 at 09:48 AM.
Apr 25, 2016, 01:23 PM
Thanks.

I didn't see that other Skywing Edge thread! I'm working my way through it.
Jul 02, 2016, 03:40 PM
Thread OP
Couple of newer videos... Currently ~165 flights on the Edge. Still going strong.

Skywing Mini Edge 540T evening 3D session #2 (2 min 40 sec)

Skywing Mini Edge 540T evening 3D session (3 min 2 sec)
Nov 06, 2016, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
The plane is well past 200 flights and flies still as new...
Apr 23, 2017, 05:09 PM
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
G'day Late99, great info here!
I just got myself one of these and am currently building it now. I'm using the same servo's but have gone with a Park480 1020kv and APC12x6e prop (recommended by a mate).
It's my first 3D plane and I'm really excited to learn this stuff!
I found your info when trying to find out if this plane need any down thrust. Doesn't seem to be any information about it. I assumed it was built into the motor box (even though I can't really see it) or that 3D planes are set-up differently and don't use any?
Anyway, I will try what you have suggested here and see how it goes on maiden. Looks like you're getting some stella flights out of yours so far.
Very nice flying mate and thanks again for all your info! Cheers, Jase
Apr 24, 2017, 02:54 PM
Thread OP
Hi Jase!

I would recommend you to try it first without any thrust modifications. Most of the guys haven't changed it from the original setup and they seem to fly it just fine. So probably you really don't need to change it. I just originally eyeballed that it might need a bit more... And I've been happy enough with it, so haven't tried anything else. And yes, all the big(ger) planes typically have motor thrust angle already build in the motor box.

Your Park480 should be ok for the plane (I reckon it is a 3530 size motor). The only thing you might need is some standoffs - the "normal" motor is 2836 size, which is a bit longer. Test different props to find one you prefer. Bigger props cause more torque and you might either like or dislike it. I found 11x47SF to be my sweet spot. But of course this also depends on the motor...

I hope you'll enjoy the plane! It's still the one I choose when I need quick and stress free, but also a bit crazy, flights. This plane is so easy that you really can enjoy it low.
Apr 24, 2017, 10:11 PM
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
Yes, the Park480 is 3530 but seems to fit fine with prop attached except I needed to do some internal trimming and make the exit hole on the nose cone a little bigger as it is only 32mm diameter.

With everything all buttoned up I ended up way nose heavy using only a 3S 1300mAh with this setup. I had to move battery back almost half off the battery tray and add 2.5oz slightly aft of the CG in the canopy to balance. Not ideal.

Another question I wanted to ask is about servo orientation. Does it matter? I found on the rudder and elevator I get slightly more throw if the output shaft is facing away from the control horn using the supplied long servo arms for the Emax servo's.

I measured the motor box and it's symmetrical, so they haven't included any thrust angle. I ended up putting some in using washers but may take it out to compare the difference later.

I might also end up going with you setup down the track just to see if I can drop the extra weight.

You mentioned using slowfly props. They're flexible right? Isn't it better to use stiff props? Judging by your video's I guess it's not really an issue on this smaller model.

Maybe I'm just over thinking all this. lol!

Anyway, thanks again for all your advice. Cheers, Jase
Last edited by RCWASP; Apr 25, 2017 at 03:19 AM.

Quick Reply