Sep 20, 2015, 07:57 AM
Thread OP
Question

Training methods?

So I'm trying to do things slow and methodical in order to succeed in this blossoming hobby.
Leading with my first 2 questions.
1. Are there any training guidelines to better my flying skills?
2. What simulators actually use a real tx for training?

I have been racing rc cars on and off for many years and have been in A main finals often so I do have some basic rc skills and experience.
I bought a nano quad 2 months ago and done a fair amount of in house practicing.
I just picked up the new Dromida Vista yesterday to take the next step in the learning process. I have only flown it 3 times so far because the winds have been +10 mph with 15+ gusts. Which I'm sure with a higher quality quad and pilot wouldn't be to much of an issue but for me learning it is not ideal.
So my next 2 questions.
I find myself sliding the throttle up when I go to input a left yaw and when I look to do right yaw I pull the throttle down a bit.
3. Is this partially a factor from using a low quality TX?
4. Are there TX's that have a method of stiffing up the sticks? Which I hope will help my thumb from drifting?

Or do I just need to get better
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2015, 11:20 AM
Childlike Activity for Adults
http://quadcopter101.blogspot.com/

This link may help.

Practice, practice, and more practice and research, research, and research some more.

Good luck

Most RTF mini sized quads do not operate well in +10 mph winds.
Sep 20, 2015, 07:04 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for link. I got some practice in today even with the gusty winds.
Sep 20, 2015, 07:15 PM
FPV Noob
1. practice
2. FPV freerider. I use my Taranis X9D plus with it via USB cable. I believe Hobby King also sells a USB Rx receiver that receives 2.4G control signal and translates it to USB for the computer.
3. only if it's sloppy, otherwise you just need to get better.
4. no. Sticks shouldn't be sloppy though.

As for wind: a 250 class quad with 4S power flies pretty well in the wind. It's pretty gusty here today and I flew my RD270 with no crashes. The wind did reveal a slight oscillation in my level PID tuning from the HD action cam video that I need to adjust with a little more D, but other than that it flew without incident and without much if any corrections on my part to fight the wind. smaller RTF quads like yours likely wont do so well as they are lighter, smaller, and not as powerful. more mass and more thrust + good PID tuning makes the quads almost not notice the wind at all as they will actively fight it to hold direction/position.
Sep 20, 2015, 09:19 PM
Thread OP
Thank you jigabop. I was able to do some nice ovals and fig yuure 8 patterns today with only 3 crashes over 4 flights no major crashes. And it was mostly due to a gust pushing me out of control.
The cheapo controller is a bit sloppy. But I did think I can get better.
I will look into FPV free rider tomorrow. Im seeing most everyone is doing the same Frsky thanks for the tip. Just wish it want made by Chinese company.
Sep 20, 2015, 10:05 PM
Quote:
I find myself sliding the throttle up when I go to input a left yaw and when I look to do right yaw I pull the throttle down a bit.
3. Is this partially a factor from using a low quality TX?
4. Are there TX's that have a method of stiffing up the sticks? Which I hope will help my thumb from drifting?
Good throttle management takes a while to master. Don't know about your setup, but hobby grade TXs have adjustable throttle curves that can be used to make the midpoint of the throttle less twitchy.

A good explanation here:

DX7 - How to set the throttle curve to decrease sensitivity around the hover point (4 min 12 sec)
Sep 20, 2015, 11:12 PM
FPV Noob
Yes Frsky is a Chinese company, but most parts for this hobby are made by Chinese companies, or made in China. It is a high quality TX though.
Sep 21, 2015, 12:17 AM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
From what you are saying, I think you are doing great. I use Real Flight as a sim, the TX is a replica of a Futaba 6channel tx. I got that because I wanted to learn how to fly CP heli. If you are already flying the Vista, I don't think you need the sim to learn. Practice on the real thing is the best.
Having said that, I want to say that the Ominus is known to take a dip if throttle is not meticulously managed, especially while the YAW input is in effect. I don't have the Vista but there is a review here and there was a comment regarding the constant up and down of the Vista. I have to be careful every time I fly it, since the muscle memory needs to be refreshed after different quads.
I recently bought an AnyLink from Tactic so I can fly the Ominus with my DX6 hoping that this issue will not be as pronounced, but I was wrong. The stock all plastic tx does provide a cheap feel, but it is not the culprit.
The aforementioned character flaw---if you will had garnered much discussion and debate in the Ominus Forum, some said that by using the props from the FPV version does help---an option that I have not tried. I can get to a pretty good point after one or two batteries usually if I haven't flown this for a while. In regards to the particular behavior that you observed between Left and Right YAW input, I can only say that from what I have read and experienced from two Ominus first hand that they dive more than rise up when YAW input is in effect.
Last edited by rcnutrc; Sep 22, 2015 at 01:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Sep 21, 2015, 07:05 PM
Florida
I do the same thing with yaw/throttle. Practice, practice, practice and soon you'll get it corrected. I thought it was strange and read that it is common when first starting out.

I also use the X9D+. I saw a mod to adjust the throttle stick so it is not so easy to move. I'll see if I can find the link. I haven't performed this mod but it looks simple to do.
Sep 22, 2015, 12:20 PM
Iv been flying with my Hubsan X4 and I would say it's a really great qaud to learn with. It's freakishly tough in crashes and it's amazing to fly in the wind. It's extremely acrobatic as well. Iv crashed that thing so hard and when I thought it was toast with the imaginable damage from a hard hit to they pavement, nope. Back up and flying after flipping it over! And I'm no expert pilot either. But I can confidently fly it in some tough winds. You can find them on Amazon for$40 bucks, and for that price it beats getting some computer trainer when you can get real life experience flying.
Sep 22, 2015, 02:36 PM
"Uh, Oh that ch was reversed."
Stick time. Any way you can get it.
Sep 22, 2015, 10:38 PM
Thread OP
First off let me say what a great community. Thank you for all of the great advice.
I've been practicing as much as I have had free moments which hasn't been much but a couple of times a day.
Man am I hooked.
I can complete a battery without any oh crap moments. While performing some pretty clean figure eights.
I can also predict better when I will need throttle to counter load in the turn.
This Dromida Vista is very impressive for the price and I've already got some co workers and neighbors looking into getting their own.
I did order another battery to keep me going longer than 10 minutes.
Thanks on the advice on TX's. I have some time to pull the trigger so I will do some research.
Sep 23, 2015, 08:20 AM
Florida
Here's the link to adjust the throttle tension if you feel the need to do it. Easy mod to do. He also has extensive videos on the taranis and other equipment.
FrSky TARANIS Quick Tip - Adjusting the gimbals (throttle stick) (3 min 40 sec)

enjoy
Sep 24, 2015, 06:33 PM
Thread OP
Thanks once more. Not to bad to adjust it.
Sep 25, 2015, 01:40 AM
Last winter I couldn't fly my quad outside so I bought a Cheerson CX-10, $20 on ebay. That turned out to be the best purchase ever. I could practice flying, maintaining orientation, banking and turning inside. It got caught in dogs fur and wife's hair a couple of times, luckily my dog didn't mind, both me and the CX-10 survived.

When you can race with CX-10 at full throttle and maintain orientation, you'll be able to fly your big quad with more confidence.

Okay, CX-10 flies in autolevel mode, someone might say you shouldn't get used to it. I agree. But still its great for practicing orientation and handling.

Quick Reply