Jul 10, 2004, 02:28 AM
Thread OP

Overlord Build Thread - My first wing.

Well, I have searched and searched, cannot find any good extensive threads on the Overlord, reputably a good beginners wing.

So I guess I will try to document this build, w/ photos, the best I can.

I ordered the Overlord on Thursday, havent received any shipping notification ( nor can I find anything on edgeRC on shipping methods?) , but this gives me some time to re-supply for a new build

Directly from the site, the items I need are:

1. Glue-epoxy, shoe goo, goop or welder, or polyurethane glue
2. Fiberglass reinforced strapping tape (1 inch)
3. 3M Super 77 spray adhesive or equivalent
4. Covering material of your choice (econocote, ultracote, colored packaging tape, etc.)
5. Radio system with elevon/V-tail mixing, receiver,
6. HS-81 servos or equivalent
7. Motor-(speed 400 min.), props (Gunther or zagi)
8. Speed control-15amp min.
9. Batteries-8 cell AA or 8-10 cell 2/3 A or 8 cell 4/5 A
10. Basic hobby tools (exacto knife, small screwdrivers, etc.)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2004, 03:08 AM
Thread OP
#1 How about 4 minute epoxy??(w/ some microballoons maybe??) I am becomming really efficient with the stuff, but have never worked with EPP. shoo goo where do I find this, Wal Mart? shoe store?

#2 Strapping tape, got that

#3 Dont have any, but have used it before, Wal-mart right??

#4 I think its gonna have to be colored packing tape for me, will save my first real covering experience for my first MM balsa build sometime soon.

#5 Hitech Laser 4, Has a couple/few mixing settings, including v-tail, I know I know,
not great, I keep saying I am going to upgrade, but one thing at a time I guess eh?

#6 How about all-e-rc's micro 18's ?? suggestions here?

#7 zagi reverse timed and balanced 400---will I be running the motor leads in reverse for a pusher, like my GWS planes w/ gearbox's?? (seems like a dumb question I know)

#8 Wattage IC380 30a cont. 40a burst.

#9 8s CBP 1050's 2/3 A

#10 Yep yep...
Jul 10, 2004, 03:09 AM
Thread OP
Thats all for right now, any suggestions are very welcome!

Jay
Jul 10, 2004, 07:46 AM
#3 Yes walmart, and don't buy the cheap stuff, get the 3M. The other stuff fries the foam.

I just ordered an overlord on wednesday, so I will be following along with you.
Jul 10, 2004, 10:13 AM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernoulli~Bros
#1 How about 4 minute epoxy??(w/ some microballoons maybe??) I am becomming really efficient with the stuff, but have never worked with EPP. shoo goo where do I find this, Wal Mart? shoe store?

#2 Strapping tape, got that

#3 Dont have any, but have used it before, Wal-mart right??

#4 I think its gonna have to be colored packing tape for me, will save my first real covering experience for my first MM balsa build sometime soon.

#5 Hitech Laser 4, Has a couple/few mixing settings, including v-tail, I know I know,
not great, I keep saying I am going to upgrade, but one thing at a time I guess eh?

#6 How about all-e-rc's micro 18's ?? suggestions here?

#7 zagi reverse timed and balanced 400---will I be running the motor leads in reverse for a pusher, like my GWS planes w/ gearbox's?? (seems like a dumb question I know)

#8 Wattage IC380 30a cont. 40a burst.

#9 8s CBP 1050's 2/3 A

#10 Yep yep...

Ad #1: Yes, Wal-MArt in the shoe department

Ad #2: you got it

Ad #3: already answered

Ad #4: packing tape can be found for nice pricetag at www.fastpack.com in various colors.

Ad #5: Laser 4 is a solid, good radio. No need for more for the Overlord

Ad #6: Micro-18 servos are OK to use i would think. Allerc.com sells quality stuff and he knows what he's doing. I personally stick with Hitec servos or Bluebird/Waypoint servos.

Ad #7: If you buy the original Zagi Pusher motor from Zagi, it'll come with instructions. For every other motor that is not specifically mentioned as reverse timed, put the "black" cable on the "red" dot on the motor.

Ad #8: I don't like the Wattage ESCs personally. I had a very bad experience with them in the past and won't use them anymore. If you need a good ESC, get the pixie 20 from castle creations. Other than that, the Electrifly ESCs or Jeti are good choices.

Ad #9: best choice. With a 48" wing, you can even go with bigger packs like the CBP 1400 AA cells.

Ad #10: ...
Jul 16, 2004, 07:43 PM
Thread OP
It has arrived!!!

As usual I wasted no time getting started....

Wing halves glued together w/ shoo goo in the center, and 5 minute epoxy around the gaps/edge's.

A mistake was made, and my kit was shipped without the spar slot pre-cut But thanks to the help of Justins wife(Justin is out of town), and a member here , I got the correct measurments and cut the slot myself, beings this is my first time working with EPP, turned into kind of a butcher job, but it worked out ok, I think(does it look about right?) .

I hope I can do better cutting this stuff when I cut out my servo bays any suggestions for clean cutting EPP without a dremel??

Jay
Jul 16, 2004, 08:09 PM
Look good to me.....couldn't have done a better job with the spar.

EPP cutting can be done with either a soldering iron (melting away the foam; kinda tricky and nothing for your first build) or by outlining the shape with a sharpie, then cutting around the line with a BRAND NEW razor blade, then cutting inside the shape to make relatively small cubes (a chessboard pattern) and then simply pry the pieces out with a needle nose plier.
Jul 16, 2004, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScYcS
then cutting inside the shape to make relatively small cubes (a chessboard pattern) and then simply pry the pieces out with a needle nose plier.

ooooh I like that idea..

The spar looks crooked in the picture, but that is an optical illusion(I went back out to the garage and checked like 4 times after seeing the picture ), the wing is also tilted slightly in the picture.

Will update again in a couple hours, after work.

Jay
Jul 17, 2004, 03:42 AM
Thread OP
Well, made some progress..

COULD have done more, but ran out of strapping tape about 5 beers into it Doh! I knew I should have bought a fresh roll before starting this project.

I still havent picked up the servo's for her yet, so I cant do much on the top now, and still have a few 'X' s to do on the bottom, once I pick up more strapping tape tommow.

Only question I can think is to ask; how much tape is too much?? what are the weight issue's with this plane, I would like to go all out with the strapping tape, for extreme durability, but fear the weight..any advice here??

Thanks for the interest and replies,
Jay
Jul 17, 2004, 09:17 AM
strapping tape can weight a lot. I would not do more than the instructions for the wing say to use. EPP is really durable and will last a long time.
Jul 17, 2004, 07:01 PM
Jay,

I can't tell from your pictures, but did you spray 3M77 on the wings before adding the strapping tape?

Lew
Jul 17, 2004, 11:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScYcS
strapping tape can weight a lot. I would not do more than the instructions for the wing say to use. EPP is really durable and will last a long time.
Ok thanks, will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Jenkins
Jay,

I can't tell from your pictures, but did you spray 3M77 on the wings before adding the strapping tape?

Lew

Yup, sprayed, then waited about 5 minutes before applying tape.

Thanks guys.
Will update later tonight,
Jay
Jul 18, 2004, 03:52 AM
Thread OP
Well, got a little bit more done, finished the strapping on the bottom, and started some covering w/tape.

Weekends are very busy for me, so I havent had a chance to do much.

Jay
Jul 18, 2004, 10:15 AM
I like the colors. Looks great.
Jul 18, 2004, 01:20 PM
Jack of all trades!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernoulli~Bros
Well, I have searched and searched, cannot find any good extensive threads on the Overlord, reputably a good beginners wing.

Did you find this one??
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233665

Just wondering granted it's not very detailed, but it gives you a pretty good idea. Also notice how I installed the battery just velcro, then when you want the battery out just use a credit card and slip it between the male and female velcro and vwala...

Chris

Quick Reply