Sep 18, 2015, 09:53 PM
👽🛸👽
Thread OP
Discussion

Newbie first build - can you check my shopping list?

I am currently in flight school with Syma X8C but in the coming months I plan to build a 250 for FPV.

My aims are:
  • Build myself an ARF kit.
  • Don’t need anything too fast or advanced for now, steady with ok flight times is best.
  • Spend under $450

I would really appreciate your thoughts if possible!

Here is my current plan:
ZMR250 V2 ARF3 kit from fpvmodel - $225

Li-Po's 1800 3s 40c x2 = $35

iMax B6 Charger = $40

7” LCD monitor built in Lipo & 5.8ghz = $100
also from fpvmodel but I have seen slightly cheaper on ebay too.

Radio ?? undecided
- Turnigy i6 ($50)
- Turnigy 9X ($60)
- Devo 10 ($160)
Do you think these choices are OK?

I am unsure about the battery. Should I get 1600, 1800, 2000? I would hope to get flight times at least in the 6-8 min area. Under 5 mins would be disappointing.
I won’t be going crazy, i will be making slow progress.

I am very unsure about the Radio Controller. The Devo10 looks nice but I need to keep the cost down. The Turnigy 9X seems fine but I worry about reliability.
For now 6CH would be enough it seems, but I definitely want to get something reliable & with quality stick gimbals.

I have an 808 I might add later, I won’t need to add anything heavy like a GoPro.
I would like to progress to Goggles in the future.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2015, 07:07 AM
Florida
The monitor is only 8 Ch. You can get a 32 Ch for about the same amount of money.
Don't be too cheap on the TX. 9X or Devo would be good. I use a Taranis which would be another good choice.
Sep 19, 2015, 07:09 AM
Ultra_rc
Seems good, have you got a circular polarised antenna for your receiver?
I am using a 1300mAh 40c lipo nanotech, and the same motors but yes an 1800mAh would work.

I don't like the turnigy 9x receiver, it is really big and bulky not suited for a mini quad
Sep 19, 2015, 07:56 AM
👽🛸👽
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadkillDinner
The monitor is only 8 Ch. You can get a 32 Ch for about the same amount of money.
Don't be too cheap on the TX. 9X or Devo would be good. I use a Taranis which would be another good choice.
I may have to go for the Devo10 then. I hope it will be good enough. That will push me into the $550-$600 spend
Taranis looks awesome but I cant really go that high or my budget is shot.
Last edited by riquez; Sep 19, 2015 at 08:18 AM.
Sep 19, 2015, 08:18 AM
👽🛸👽
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by great_enchanter
Seems good, have you got a circular polarised antenna for your receiver?
I am using a 1300mAh 40c lipo nanotech, and the same motors but yes an 1800mAh would work.

I don't like the turnigy 9x receiver, it is really big and bulky not suited for a mini quad
For the Video receiver - good point - no. it comes with a plain one. the rx one should have 4-lobes i understand. I can pick one up. Out of curiosity - Is it essential to match the antenna style for rx/tx pairs?

I am thinking 1800 simply as the middle ground. I am not sure how to make an informed weight/capacity choice without 'see how it goes'
Sep 19, 2015, 02:11 PM
Florida
I saw many reviews of the turnigy Tx and it looked like a good, cheap one. OK for starters but if you stay in the hobby you'll soon be looking for a better one. Go to a club or meet-up and see what they are using and ask questions.

Antenna's must match polarization as in "circular" or what ever. Some circular polarized antenna's come with hoods to protect the antenna wires but they are the same.
If using stock antenna don't mix them with a circular antenna thinking it will work better. It won't.
Sep 19, 2015, 02:50 PM
Sibonga, Cebu
It's always nice to build from scratched, the progression is very intimidating but overall you wanna make sure every parts are the right ones and installed properly.
+1 on Devo10, I wish I would've pull the trigger on devo10, instead I got the devo7 which is really not a bad for starter, only problem is it's not I supported with other protocol.
Sep 19, 2015, 06:55 PM
I started with a Turnigy i6, great little remote to use with an FPV quad. Adequate range, decent sticks, for that price its perfect if you're trying to save $$. After that I moved to an i10. Its an incredible remote. Around $200 with shipping and everything, but it's fantastic and having a touchscreen is killer
Sep 20, 2015, 07:17 AM
👽🛸👽
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganj13
I started with a Turnigy i6, great little remote to use with an FPV quad. Adequate range, decent sticks, for that price its perfect if you're trying to save $$. After that I moved to an i10. Its an incredible remote. Around $200 with shipping and everything, but it's fantastic and having a touchscreen is killer
Hi Logan,

Thanks for your comments. Its very helpful to hear hands-on experiences.
Getting the i6 would be significant saving for me. The images i see of it looks very "plasticy" which of course for $50 i expect. But my main worry is the smoothness of the sticks, how they respond & the sensitivity.

If the i6 is decent for flight control sticks, then I can make a big saving & upgrade later.

What Quad did you fly with the i6 as a beginner?
Sep 20, 2015, 11:32 AM
Sibonga, Cebu
I also have the i6, it came with my ZMR250mm Chinese clone RTF. Its a decent controller and the range is very good, and like you said its a bit toyish looking but the sticks are smooth and the spikes really stick to your thumb that I used it on my Devo7 sticks lol.
Sep 20, 2015, 07:34 PM
FPV Noob
Make sure you have enough channels...

4 for basic flight
1 for changing flight modes
1 for RSSI (but if you don't have a tX/rX that supports it, or no OSD to display it, then you will just find out the hard way when you go out of radio range)
1 for lost craft buzzer

That's what I am using for channels on my RD270.

I use a taranis radio and I too was on a tight budget but my quad keeps evolving and I'm glad I didn't cheap out on the radio to start with because I have already added a JR module to it for UHF control due to the dense obstacles in my flight area that absolutely kill 2.4G signal due to lack of penetration power.

My suggestion is save money and get a radio that you won't outgrow. That is why I picked the Taranis so I could use it for not just this build, but my next build as well!

Quick Reply