Sep 13, 2019, 01:36 AM
Girders are metal ???
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 02:12 AM
'Bearer' tends to be wood, and just means it bears something.....

How the I-Beam should have been shaped = the front end lower step for reaching and gluing onto the retract mount horizontal surface also.

And a bearer... or even two if you want.... to the side.
You can still fit a captive nut to its underside.
No need to 'wreck' the external, and visible, fuselage underneath.
Sep 13, 2019, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
Girders are metal ???
Girders in residential support floor joist where they over lap. They can be wood or metal, depends on what is actually being built, residential/ commercial (stick/metal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
'Bearer' tends to be wood, and just means it bears something.....

How the I-Beam should have been shaped = the front end lower step for reaching and gluing onto the retract mount horizontal surface also.

And a bearer... or even two if you want.... to the side.
You can still fit a captive nut to its underside.
No need to 'wreck' the external, and visible, fuselage underneath.
I show you the picture the underside once completed, can't even tell it's there.

How big are your "bearer"
Sep 14, 2019, 07:45 AM
Of course you can refinish it.... but why need to at all in the first place? (hacking it under there)

The bearer width will depend on where you run the I-beam part.
If centered you could use two bearers - one per side - but only 8mm approx.
If it is offset, it could be as big as 12mm on one side only.

I will start deeper investigation through the week....
Sep 15, 2019, 08:51 AM
Finally got around to start assembly. Assemble front fuse to the battery tray last night. This morning assembled the front fuse to the main fuse. It’s curing while I go fly.

I made a few battery trays and they all work great!
Sep 15, 2019, 08:57 AM
Very neat/nice battery tray mod !!
Sep 15, 2019, 10:04 AM
All aboard Flight 666
Very well done.

I look forward to buying one. It’s a wonder why FW didn’t develop the plane this way
Sep 15, 2019, 06:20 PM
They seem to have an 'ingenius idea' to make a bay UNDER the rear battery, for the RX etc.
I can't say it was a terrible idea, as that is the only room there is in there.
But I have all my stuff under the Wing Cover plate - which most people also seem to do.
Sep 15, 2019, 07:42 PM
Here is a link with some option upgrades to the elevators and fuselage deck. Alternate to the the RC informer.
Freewing F14 80mm Grass Field Modification (12 min 28 sec)
Sep 15, 2019, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the video! That was what I was thinking to do do - but with an I-Beam also still.
The larger alloy plate idea is just massive overkill and a LOT more work!
I do things "Nth degree' but that whole new alloy plate is "Nth degree PLUS a lot more" than necessary!

Even also having an I-Beam is more than required, but at least that is a very quick and easy addition so that is easily justified! And that I-Beam would be more use in terms of preventing it breaking its back! So the I-Beam is best being as long/far back as the top plate goes. Plus down to the Retract mount 'base' - which is really the 'top' (when inverted).
You would just use the same ply as per the top plate (but can be a wide range of thickness if you want).

3/16" ?? Seemed thick. I think it is 1/8th/3mm there...... but I will decide/confirm that after I cut it down to the retract mount.....
Though I will use 5 ply plywood (not Basswood/Balsa Ply) just to assure 'super strength'.

If you broke "Basswood /Balsa ply" (as per he used in the video) I think you would likely have other bigger F-14 structural problems from whatever happened anyway!! LOL

[ Stretching the main gear springs is NOT a good idea at all...... it will not work as intended, and will 'damage' the spring strength. And why do you even need to anyway? ]
Sep 17, 2019, 05:10 AM
The 14 is gonna be my next EDF after I break myself in with my current one. Good to see there are fixes for the gear, that is my big worry flying off of a gravel runway. I also really like those bearings out back in the elevons. With them doing 2 jobs back there and basically all the work with the wings swept that's crazy how much slop is in them from the factory...
Sep 17, 2019, 11:17 AM
aka ShadowVFX
Gravel huh? I'd be worried about FOD shredding my fan blades.
Sep 17, 2019, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko
Gravel huh? I'd be worried about FOD shredding my fan blades.
We have a lot of Jets actually. The biggest problem is these Spanish guys keep getting 64-70mm edfs and the gear is tiny and the Jets can't take off because of drag lmao.
Sep 17, 2019, 06:33 PM
I was pondering over the Taileron Bearing fix idea when i watched that..... and how it sort of can't work....
Yet in a way COULD.

The F-14 Pivot shafts.... that feed into the plastic mount in the Taileron, and which he added bearings for, are the true source of the issue.
They are 4.9mm... = 0.1mm undersize. This allows them to move around in the 'tube' of the Taileron mount, and thus allows wobble in ALL directions. Rotationally around the tube.
eg how if you put a small rod into a larger tube, you will be able to tilt it around all 360deg.

So if you buy some bearings, they will be 5.0mm... NOT 4.9mm..... thus they will also have freeplay between the pivot rod and the inner race.
It is just a matter of how much LESS they might have than the stock Taileron Mount tube size forms then.
So they will not erase that 0.1mm error at all really.....

But there is a 'way' they can....
If they are NOT aligned straight! This will cause 'taking up' of the error, but not in a truly correct and full manner. But it will at least HELP to some unknown degree. And when TWO are misaligned, that will help even more.... LOL.

Seeing that fitting them was just "Hack a slot to drop them into" it is highly likely they ended up a bit misaligned.
If they were fit in 'perfectly' and straight, then it would not have helped the real issue!

------------
I machined new pivot rods to Fit the Taileron Mount accurately.....
Each was custom and and tested to perfectly suit its Taileron.
Truly zero freeplay....
(But the bearings are a nice idea - though not really needed at all in technical terms, for what conditions this operates through)

I forget what the numbers were now.... I vaguely recall the stock pivot rod was actually 4.91mm.... and they needed (I think) 5.12mm rods made to suit the Taileron Mount block tube. Plus not exactly equal for each Taileron Mount, thus I made them to suit each one specifically. (I turned down 6mm alloy rod - plus stepped/shaped as required)
Last edited by PeterVRC; Sep 17, 2019 at 06:42 PM.
Sep 20, 2019, 10:44 AM
Has anyone thought about or has change out the factory BEC?

Quick Reply