Sep 17, 2015, 09:30 PM
Thread OP
Question

First Plane, First Post , First Question

Greetings.... just acquired a Hobbyzone Super Cub S BNF..after lurking around for awhile, this seemed to be one of the most oft talked about as a good beginner.. I went the BNF route so as to have a bit of future-proofing with the TX..as i picked up a Dx6i... this item was as well highly praised.

my question has to do with the included battery which is this...11.1V 3S 1300mAh LiPo battery

any reason /advantage to change what came with it... or just stick with his for now..maybe buy more of the same for swapping between charges

Thanks !
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2015, 09:45 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by FergupAMG
Greetings.... just acquired a Hobbyzone Super Cub S BNF..after lurking around for awhile, this seemed to be one of the most oft talked about as a good beginner.. I went the BNF route so as to have a bit of future-proofing with the TX..as i picked up a Dx6i... this item was as well highly praised.

my question has to do with the included battery which is this...11.1V 3S 1300mAh LiPo battery

any reason /advantage to change what came with it... or just stick with his for now..maybe buy more of the same for swapping between charges

Thanks !
No reason to get a different battery - it's the right size ,weight and voltage for your plane . But additional batteries for more flight time is a good idea .
Sep 17, 2015, 09:49 PM
Suspended Account
Welcome to the world of R/C

Do yourself a favour though don't get ahead of yourself too quick, there's much to learn so keep it simple & stick with what the manufacturers suggest as they have mostly done all the hard work well before you bought it as to what's best battery wise for Eg
There's so much info amongst these pages (some not all good/correct) that one can get lost or confused real quick especially in the Quad market, that facet of the hobby is almost out of control..........crawl b4 you walk/run & good luck:-)

CW
Sep 17, 2015, 10:43 PM
Go fly your plane with what came in the box (and your DX6i). When you find the hankering to fly longer at a time, buy a second battery that's as similar as possible. When two batteries aren't enough, get a third.

Then look at your options for charging multiple batteries at once. Then look at ways to carry everything around. Then look at different things you can do with your plane (try gliding as long as possible, try doing a hammerhead, try flying really low and skimming the grass without crashing, etc).

Mostly, have fun. What you need will become apparently as you go along.
Sep 18, 2015, 12:07 AM
Closed Account
I like to give the engine some time to cool down between flight's and start a flight with a cool engine. I don't run bigger battery's many times this well push your engine and make it run hot. Running long flight times is nice but you want not to go under min charge on the battery's because this well make them not hold up long. I have done this many times as I got better at flying. Even the little 1s battery's are not cheap if you got to buy more than a few. Welcome to the Rc plane world where you find many new things for your money.
Sep 18, 2015, 02:49 AM
Retired
Welcome FergupAMC, I Would recommend having several batteries. When I started I had 4 packs, limiting yourself to one pac at about say 7 minutes, one flight, is not very long especially if you have had to drive anywhere to fly. You need to start reading about cheap batteries and mating connectors. There is no need to pay Hobby Zone prices for batteries. One flight an outing just isn't going to be enough. The DX6I is a great radio and I've not yet felt the need to upgrade since I bought mine several years back. Nice starter package you have, enjoy!
Sep 18, 2015, 08:19 AM
Dazed and Confused
As others have said, multiple batteries are a must. Charging at the field is possible, but at 45-50 minutes it seems like forever when you want to fly. I started with 2, and charged one while flying/waiting with the other.

I've been at this about a year and a half, and I now have:
3 - 4s 2800mAh
5 - 3s 2200mAh
2 - 3s 1600mAh
5 - 3s 1300mAh
4 - 1s 160mAh
to go with 8 airplanes and three charges...

See where I'm going with this And compared to some folks that I've seen on here, that's nothing!

Larger batteries will give longer flight times, but I'd also recommend staying with the manufacturers suggested size. Mainly for weight relative to the planes performance. And, after you get to flying faster, lower, and more aerobatics, 7 - 9 minutes is long enough...

I buy batteries at www.valuehobby.com. I'm very happy with the performance and price of their GForce batteries. Turnigy and Zippy from HobbyKing are fine for the price, as well.

Welcome to the madness
:cheers:
Sep 18, 2015, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
Thanks to all for the insights......found out a local (AMA i think) club is actually in my town...so thats very cool ...

look forward to the community
Sep 18, 2015, 07:54 PM
Perpetual Noob

I'll second (or third)

I'll second or third you will need more batteries - and a better charger. A decent single battery charger will set you back about $50 while a dual charger for charging two at a time will be double that.

Get one that's both AC and DC, a lot of fields will provide a DC charging station for you to connect your charger. There are a couple other things you will need, chief among them will be a battery checker. This will let you see how much charge is left in your battery after a flight so you get an idea of how long your flights can last. As far as batteries go, the E-Flite batteries are good, but they are two to three times the price of others that are just as good. (Better is a subjective term and everyone has their favorites.) As you look around at other pilots, see what they use and that's usually a pretty good gauge.

The biggest help for a new pilot is to be observant and don't be afraid to ask questions. Join the AMA and get with a club, it's well worth it for both the help and the friendships.
Sep 18, 2015, 08:17 PM
I agree with buying more of the right (OEM) sized batteries. I would add that you might want to buy a battery monitor/alarm that fits in the plane while you fly.

These generally have an adjustable alarm threshold that will sound a loud signal when your battery voltage drops to a predetermined minimum. I set mine for 3.7 Volts (per cell). That way my battery is protected from deep discharge. And I get more flight time than if I set a timer. And also, the recharge time is less...because the battery is not as depleted. It is $7.00 well spent. The one I have also has a lost signal alarm. So if the model gets lost in the forest, you turn off the radio and in one minute you'll hear it beep the aircrafts location.
Sep 19, 2015, 10:06 AM
Retired
At a minimum you should be setting a timer, any sort. You need to get that plane back on the ground before low voltage hits and you lose power.
Sep 20, 2015, 10:44 PM
Thread OP
Great tips...I found a local club..big field..carports...tables .tents...I couldn't believe that I randomly decide to get into this hobby and literally down the road was one of the biggest area clubs around. So I'm joining the AMA and the club ....already was able to ask tons of questions... the owner of the club is going to give me two free lessons so I'm already hooked up!!

By the way I change my mind I went with the new Spektrum dx6 radio instead of the dx6i
Sep 20, 2015, 11:16 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
The DX6 is a far superior radio to the DX6i.
You'll be very happy with it.
So now that you've invested in a good radio, go out and get a good charger like this Hitec X4 or similar.
This charger (and others like it) may seem expensive when compared to your plane but it's good to know that Hitec has an excellent reputation and they stand behind their products.
Charging multiple packs at a time is highly convenient.
And then learn how to solder battery connectors, both male and female.
Often different batteries come with a connector that isn't compatible with your setup so choose a style you like, buy the connectors by the dozen and then convert any battery or ESC as you see fit.
I use XT60, others use Deans and Anderson Power Poles (easiest to use but most expensive to get started). All excellent choices.
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Sep 20, 2015 at 11:23 PM.
Sep 21, 2015, 03:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo
The DX6 is a far superior radio to the DX6i.
You'll be very happy with it.
So now that you've invested in a good radio, go out and get a good charger like this Hitec X4 or similar.
This charger (and others like it) may seem expensive when compared to your plane but it's good to know that Hitec has an excellent reputation and they stand behind their products.
Charging multiple packs at a time is highly convenient.
And then learn how to solder battery connectors, both male and female.
Often different batteries come with a connector that isn't compatible with your setup so choose a style you like, buy the connectors by the dozen and then convert any battery or ESC as you see fit.
I use XT60, others use Deans and Anderson Power Poles (easiest to use but most expensive to get started). All excellent choices.
that was my very next question.. which charger....i recall from the past rc car days i had an hyperion ac/dc balancing charger and loved it.. that was a long time ago......thats what i want today same type..no need to go super high end, but im not planning on skimping either
Sep 21, 2015, 03:48 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
I have about 50 batteries.
I use about 20 of them on a regular basis.
I've found that my Thunder Power, Glacier and Turnigy Nano Tech batteries are used most... why? because of the 5c charge rate.
I can charge these batteries in 1/5th the time it takes some of the older batteries I have which need to be charged at 1c.
I'm a member of a flying club and we have a charging area where I can plug in my DC charger (i206B) and I can charger batteries while I fly. Highly convenient and less batteries to lug around.
Yes... it was a lot of money but it's awesome and powerful with 20amp charging.
I also have Q6400 AC charger that can do 4 batteries at a time.
It's like the Hitec X4 I mentioned earlier but is 400 watts of power vs only 200.
And then there's parallel charging.
You'll learn all of this as you explore this facet of the hobby.

Quick Reply