Jul 09, 2004, 06:13 PM
Thread OP

Can this Nippy be saved?

A couple of months ago I nosed in hard with my Nippy 1812/100.
After that, the shaft wobbled badly - so I thought that the shaft was bent. But when I opened it up I found that the shaft was perfectly straight, but the front ball bearing was completely smashed. 4 of the balls were crushed in half!

I then tried to remove this ball bearing so I could replace it.
Ok, most of the ball bearing parts fell out by them self, but the SLEEVE is still there. I have been able to remove fragments of the sleeve - but it's really getting harder and harder. It seems to be made of some indestructible super-titanium

I started picking with a small screwdriver and eventually tried to drill it out (with my not so powerful 7.2V drill), but nothing happens. It's stuck sooo hard.

I have now heard that it could have sent it in for repair, but I guess it's too late now.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do to remove the remains of that ball bearing? Any special drill bits that bites on the steel?

The material around the sleeve appears to be soft aluminium - so if I could only remove that sleeve...
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2004, 07:30 PM
Find a screw that will bite into the sleeve and carefully screw it in, then draw it straight back out again..
..a
Jul 10, 2004, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
Guess what! It's fixed!!!!!!!!

Thanks Andy for your suggestion. I did try that but the screw was too soft so it wouldn’t grab.
But I got my self a real drill machine today and tried to drill it out. And it worked! And the best part is that the hole got exactly centred!
Hooked it up and it runs fine!

Quick Reply