Sep 17, 2015, 01:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

I'm experimenting with carbon props and so far don't like it :(

I was using 10x4.5 plastic props and replaced them with the same shape carbon ones.

I find them more noisy and have the feeling they are harder on the copter too.
The plastic ones were elastic and I feel like they were dampening some of the forces that way.

Not sure though. Also feels like the flight time is less.

And since I read that carbon ones can cut your finger I'm now in constant fear of accidently killing myself with the copter
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2015, 04:10 PM
Agreed.

I don't understand the high status. Wood, yes, I can see the power.

I had one positive set of cf that lasted a few flights. After a few rough flights, they no longer flew of worth.
Those were 12".

6"s that I have don't fly worth a dung.

Hardness and lightness, I get. But why do they suck so as props.
jRobert
Sep 17, 2015, 06:16 PM
I feel you, I have some 1045 I use on my 450 and they're not very nice. I balanced mine and they still vibrate.
Sep 18, 2015, 06:49 AM
Thread OP
So, what are advantages other than that they don't break mid air like some of my plastic ones used to do?

Is there a point to expriment with different designs of carbon ones?
Sep 18, 2015, 07:21 AM
After getting used to carbon fiber, just switch back to plastic and you'll feel the difference.

You feel like there's more power on CF because the props don't bend... at all. I can only guess that, due to stress, plastic props bend upwards losing some of the lift, and the bending also makes the undercamber flatten out a bit, in effect turning 1045's into 1038's. This explains why plastic props seem to lose power when doing hard banks or dives.

In my flying site, one of my regular paths is going on top of a telephone pole, and then diving to the ground. I've timed it so that i pull up and level out just a couple of feet above the grass. Did that with plastic props, also kept doing it when i put on CF props for a few weeks. When i switched back to plastic props (coz the CF props vibrated a LOT), when i attempted that dive, i plowed right into the grass. Whoops.
Last edited by Hajile; Sep 18, 2015 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply