Vaterra ascender purchase - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 17, 2015, 12:48 PM
Discussion

Vaterra ascender purchase

Hello
I am considering purchasing the Vaterra K5 Blazer ascender and wondered what owners thought of it. Thanks Bob
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2015, 01:42 AM
oh that guy
Haven't owned one but I have used one and a few have been on the trails with me. They are comparable to the scx10. It's a nice rig.
Sep 18, 2015, 09:26 AM

K5 Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_chance
Haven't owned one but I have used one and a few have been on the trails with me. They are comparable to the scx10. It's a nice rig.
Thanks
Now I just have to decide if I want to build it or get rtr
Bob
Sep 21, 2015, 08:06 PM

ascender

Well I ordered mine. I talked to a person at horizon about the differences between the kit and the rtr and aside from having to assemble the kit version and supply your own electronics, the only difference is the ring and pinion gears are different. They told me the rtr parts were inferior as they wear more. And the kits were produced after the release of the rtr units so they got the upgrade. I ordered the rtr and will just order two sets of gears. Looking forward to getting it.
bob
Sep 21, 2015, 11:13 PM
oh that guy
Yeah the kits usually have upgraded parts in most cases compared to rtr
Sep 23, 2015, 07:26 PM

speed control

Does the speed control have low voltage cut off?
By the way I picked mine up today.
Sep 23, 2015, 08:32 PM
Suspended Account
Good deal.think you will be a happy camper with your purchase.
Post up some pics!!!
Sep 23, 2015, 10:17 PM
Anybody know of a site dedicated to the ascender?
Bob
Sep 24, 2015, 12:02 AM
RCCrawler (dot) com has a section for Vaterra vehicles.
Sep 24, 2015, 11:27 AM

manuals

Well
I was trying to read the online manual for the speed control but the lettering is too small so I thought I would print It . ROFlMAO The lettering is so small even an eagle couldn't read it. I should have known better If I couldn't read it on my 22 inch monitor I wasn't going to read it on an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper What fun were having!
Sep 24, 2015, 04:56 PM
oh that guy
If it is the same one that I'm thinking about. Yes v it does all you have to do is put one of the jumpe re plugs in the right place. Supposedly it is the same esc I put in my scx10 honcho
Sep 24, 2015, 08:05 PM
I got to climb some hills today. It is a climbing monster! I'm not impressed with the jerky throttle though. I assume changing the radio to one that has dual rates or end point adjustments or the like on the throttle would help. We will see.
Oct 01, 2015, 12:14 AM

ascender

I bought the two speed conversion today and while I was at the lhs I looked at the spectrum dx4e for it. I didn't buy the radio but think I am going to. I am hoping the radio cures the jerkey takeoffs. If not I will be looking at speed controls. Any suggestions?
we shall see
Bob
Oct 01, 2015, 07:43 PM
Suspended Account
ESC would likely be your culprit for jerky throttle response.
Suggestions-Tekin FXR!!!
Oct 01, 2015, 08:51 PM

two speed

I have the conversion almost done. All I have left is to attach the shift servo and linkage and reinstall the battery tray. It was catching at full extension of the front suspension. I went ahead and bought the dx4c radio system. I did think it was the speed control that was the cause of the jerky starts but since I was going to buy the radio anyway I thought I would try to setup soft starts with the radio.
BTW I have always been a fan of tekin products, my favorite has been the tekin titan. I use them in my scale boats when I can find them.

Bob