Dec 16, 2017, 10:19 AM
jclassic1
Hi ES ,
yes I mean the triangular shape to the wing.
A good few years ago I built a large size Trainer one from GPW,s plans on scratchbuilt foamies and used the same wing design.
That was a real floater and the slowest plane I had ever flown.I am not sure if the triangular wing was responsible or not but it certainly didn,t seem to upset the flying capabilities of it.
The dihedral was just guess work but I will see how it goes.
Wing struts next to do.
It is below freezing here at the moment with quite brisk winds so not worried about getting out for a maiden flight yet.

John
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2017, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't worry about the flexibility as long as any stress points are reinforced. I built a 42" BluBaby out of single layer dollar tree foam.... When you pick it up, you'd *swear* you were going to put your finger right through the side of it, but I haven't. The wing flexes like crazy, too, but *man* does that thing fly good! I crashed it into a brick wall once, just broke the prop. Motor came out of the mount one time and chewed the cowl cheeks off the plane before I could throttle down, no problem. It is one *ugly* plane now, but it's still flying.
Dec 05, 2020, 03:18 PM
Every gram is sacred
Thread OP

Das plaStik variant

Waking up the thread...

I've been asked to post plans for an Ugly Stik suitable for a 3S 2200mAh Lipo and the builder can only get 3mm correx in 4' x 6' sheets. His 3mm correx seems to weigh the same as my 2mm, but to be safe I've sized this a little larger than the other planes in this thread. Span is 1200mm (which will fit nicely in a 4' correx sheet) and the ideal motor would be a 3536 with a KV around 850-1200 (with a suitably large prop).

Construction is almost identical to the S-Tee and Q-Tee. Wing is a simple symmetrical 'crease and fold'. The spar can be from thin pine (say 3mm) or it could be made up from a 6mm CF/GRP tube and some foam. I've not shown any doublers in the attached templates - just cut them from scrap and use the S-tee as a guide for where they are needed. The templates are on a very large custom sized sheet. Either use the dimensions to make up paper templates, or tile them to A4. Note that the template shows just 1 wing half - cut the entire wing as a full 1200mm wide unit - there is no dihedral, so no need for any joint at the center.

Enjoy, and please post construction pictures so others can follow in the future.
Dec 06, 2020, 10:52 PM
A hundred thanks for posting this plan. Will be great fun and learning making my first ever corro plane. Will be back with the building updates soon. Cheers.

Quick Reply