TM-A, TigerMoth Aerobatic Build - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jul 09, 2004, 02:46 PM
Glue can fix that.
Brutus's Avatar

TM-A, TigerMoth Aerobatic Build. How 3D can it get?


TM-A, TigerMoth Aerobatic Build
That's what I am calling it. All I am doing really is adding on ailerons, but I am also going to incorperate many of the mods I have seen here on these threads. I will also upgrade the power plant. I decided to use a new kit since my old moth is over a year old and half glue. Comments welcome.
Let's start with the usual suspects. The RAW MATERIALS:
Last edited by Brutus; Jul 09, 2004 at 03:04 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2004, 02:48 PM
Glue can fix that.
Brutus's Avatar
Some of the PARTS and TOOLS:

That square yellow thing is not actually the battery, but will be the pilot.
Jul 09, 2004, 02:54 PM
Glue can fix that.
Brutus's Avatar
the wings will have no dihedral, so I sand the point where the wings join and sand, put flat on the table and glue. I will use a carbon fiber tube on the LE for strength.

tubes are lighter than rods and much stiffer.
Jul 09, 2004, 03:00 PM
Glue can fix that.
Brutus's Avatar
A small metal rod connects the two CF tubes and provides the angle.
Jul 09, 2004, 04:22 PM
Glue can fix that.
Brutus's Avatar
This is some of the suggestins of GWS I used as a guide.
Jul 09, 2004, 09:51 PM
Glue can fix that.
Brutus's Avatar
lightly glue the tube to the LE of the lower wing. The fiberglass will hold it on later.
Jul 10, 2004, 09:01 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
Basketcase's Avatar
Very interesting Brutus, glad to see someone is going all out with the old TM.

Are you planning to flatten the bottom of the wings with covering or foam or something?

Looking forward to the flight report, can't wait to hear how she flys.

You might remeber that my own experiments along those lines were only partly successful. I think not removing the dihedral was probably my biggest mistake.

Best of luck,

Wayne
Jul 10, 2004, 01:02 PM
Glue can fix that.
Brutus's Avatar
basketcase.
I thought of adding lightweight spacke to the bottom of the wings, but I really wanted to keep the tonnage down. This is not a tm 400 after all. The goal is to make a TM that floats around as usual, and then can puch out with vertical rolls.
Jul 10, 2004, 04:22 PM
Glue can fix that.
Brutus's Avatar
I made a template for the ailerons. Theses are a little smaller than the gws reccomendation. I will glass the wing then cut them out.
Jul 10, 2004, 04:25 PM
Tee Sqaured
Thomas Manson's Avatar
looks neat! Keep us posted!


Thomas
Jul 10, 2004, 08:50 PM
Glue can fix that.
Brutus's Avatar
It's time to glass the lower wing only. .5 oz with urathane.
Jul 11, 2004, 07:27 AM
Glue can fix that.
Brutus's Avatar
moving on to the landing gear. I have seen many lg mods. this is my own. with this one the rubberband can be swapped out easily.
Jul 11, 2004, 07:56 AM
Registered User
firestang's Avatar
Having just started putting together my first "Moth" it'll be interesting to see what the outcome is of the conversion from a sedate floater to a crazy citter
Jul 11, 2004, 08:32 PM
Glue can fix that.
Brutus's Avatar
lg with wheels
Jul 12, 2004, 08:18 PM
Glue can fix that.
Brutus's Avatar
cut out and attach the ailerons--both wings


Thread Tools