This thread is privately moderated by Mad_angler1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 16, 2015, 05:14 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Thread OP
Mini-Review

FatShark Dominator V3 Review & Comparison HEADPLAY HD

This week I received my Fat Shark Dominator V3 from Team Legit on the US.

DJI Store http://click.dji.com/ewNB7_KlfI1ctZ3U

Phantom 3 http://click.dji.com/ewNB7_KlQfc0yeLe

Team Legit
http://team-legit.com/store/

They come in this nice rigid case

Once open you can see the goggles and accessories.

In the case

Goggles

2 Foam pads, one hard and one soft for comfort fitting

Mini HDMI to Mini HDMI Cable

HDMI Adapters

Charging Fly Lead

Microfiber Cloth

AV Cable

Battery

Battery

The new battery is 2S 1800mah

It now also has inbuilt battery level tester

Charge Cable

The Goggles

As you can now see they have integrated the faceplate and fan into the design.

Spec of the Dom V3

800x480 Widescreen 16:9 Format

720P HDMI input (does not support HDCP)

Improved Built in DVR, Auto PAL/NTSC, New Super Capacitor, no more lost recordings if you pull the power, (Only records from module, cant record HDMI input)

Supports 1.3ghz,2.4ghz 5,8ghz Modules via Port

Trinity Head Tracker Module Port

On the top are the normal Fat Shark controls

Underneath is the Mini HDMI Port, Headphones, Switch to turn an internal receiver On/Off if fitted, IPD adjustments

On the other is IPD and Data Port

From the back you can see the Lenses and faceplate ready to take the foam

They supply two different densities of foam

The Power Port for the goggles and the faceplate fan. The fan runs off the balance plug

Review & Comparison

My Primary goal is to use this with the DJI Phantom 3 via HDMI.

As I also have the Headplay HD I wanted to compare the two for use on the Phantom 3

My initial Headplay review is here
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2488267

Initial thoughts of the Fat Shark

The goggles feel solid, nice and light, very small compared to the Headplay. After hooking everything up to the Phantom 3 I did a few tests in the garage. The first thing I found was the thin foam was so thin that the faceplate was digging in to my eyebrows. I also had a lot of blur in the LH side screen. If I loosened the strap they did not dig in as much but the goggles kept shifting around. I tried the thicker foam and that was better but it moved the goggles farther away from my eyes and made the blur worse.

After 20 minutes of messing around I was massively disappointed to be honest, I was getting a lot of image blur on the LH eye I could not get rid of.

After trying various things I found a sweet spot in the IPD adjustment and also tilting the goggle down a bit made a difference. In the end I did some playing and managed to get it acceptable but I was still getting blur in the LH 20% of the screen for some reason. I found the best image when I cut the denser foam so it was only along the top which tilted the goggles down.

In the Field with the Phantom 3

Today I managed to get past the blur issues. I’m not sure what’s changed but today it has been barely noticeable apart form the lower LH side, perhaps I was just tired or my eyes needed some time to adapt. It could have been the indoor light of the tubes in the garage, I don’t really know to be honest but today it was much better, not perfect but better.

It was dry tonight so I took both sets out flying.

To give an idea of what you see below are 2 pictures taken of the screens from my camera. The zoom position is identical, both at the position the eye would be. The HeadPlay was taken in the centre as it’s a single screen and the Dom V3 is of the RH screen.

Fat Shark Dom V3

Headplay HD

After flying 2 packs on the Phantom 3 I have come to the following early conclusions.

They are two very different types of goggles, the FOV in the Dom V3 is much smaller and the screen is set much further back compared to the Headplay, I would describe the Fatshark like watching an iPhone 6 from 1ft away and the Headplay like watching an iPad Mini 6 inches away.

The image size in the Dom V3 is a bit too small to see detail. It isn’t immersive it’s just a screen set back in front of you. On the Headplay it’s massive, too big really. You can’t see the whole screen at once, you find yourself looking at parts of the screen not the whole thing at once, after a few more flights i changed the lens on the Headily to the smaller one and its not as in your face, you still can't see the whole screen with out looking around but its better.

Colours.

The colours on the Dom V3 are not as good as the Headplay either, they seem a little washed out in comparison, they are just not as vibrant

Image Quality

When connected to the P3 the lower resolution of the Dom V3 is clearly visible compared to the Headplay, the image is not crisp and everything seems to have a slight haze to it. You can reduce the contrast and brightness and it does make it clearer but its too dark then. Further to this the image seems to lacks detail. In the Headplay it’s bright and crisp and you can easily see the smallest of detail. In the FS everything just looks so distant as the image is further away and just not clear.

I can also see some screen door affect on the Dom V3, i noticed some faint lines in the background that looked like interference now and then, very faint lines would come and go over the screen, the type of thing I would expect to see in 5.8 but not a digital input, I have worked out after it was mentioned to me that its the gaps between the pixels when the screen refreshes giving this screen door affect, you don't get this with the Headplay.

The Dom V3 does also have some blur at each side as well especially around the OSD at each end, no matter how i fit them i still can see blur especially on the bottom LH corner,in the Headplay its crystal clear end to end, corner to corner.

Another thing comparing the two is the Headplay seem to highlight blocking in the picture quite a lot when flying, if you stop it clears up perfectly but at full speed you can see the artifacts from the digital link appear, you cant really see this in the V3.

One final thing I noticed was no matter where I adjust the IPD settings I can see a circle of light around the screen, it looks like a reflection off the lenses, I can see it looking around beyond the edges of the image but its not really noticeable when looking at the screens themselves, its something you can see if you look for it but it does not distract you.

5.8ghz FPV with 800tvl Sony.

After flying a few packs with the Dom V3 on my FPV TBS Discovery I'm really pleased with the results, i can hardly notice the the stretch image in 16:9 over 4:3, i flew the Headplay in 4:3 and 16:9 and i absolutely prefer the Dom V3 in 16:9 over the Headplay regardless of the mode, the Headplay just made the noisy image from 5.8 look worse due to the large screen.

Screen quality is good, the image blur,washed out colours and screen door affect are not noticeable when using the module, this is likely because of the lower quality of the feed and it masks these issues.

The Builtin DVR works well and it did save my footage when i just pulled the power so the Supercap works as intended.

Overall when in use with an internal module I'm very impressed.

Comfort.

Weight wise the Dom V3 are lighter and you can feel the Headplay do weight a bit more when swapping between them, the battery on the side of the FS was doing my head in towards the end as well, it needs to be relocated for me as it was very annoying over my ear, when on you cant notice the FS weight at all, I need to add more foam to the faceplate though as its not that comfortable with out foam at the bottom, over all they are really a nice fit and very easy to ware.

Overall

Nether are perfect, of the two the Headplay are better for the digital Phantom 3 feed but the Dom V3 win hands down in an FPV setup on 5.8ghz.

Image wise they are in a different league, the Headplay is crystal clear, very bright but the screen is very large even with the smaller lens, the goggles them selves are also very large and that does cause issues, you also look very odd in them as well, the Dom V3 are very portable but the image is just not good enough compared to the Headplay when using the HDMI input, its blurry at edge and around the OSD, colors are off to me and the screen door affect is noticeable and annoying.

The problem is DJI have given us crystal clear images on the tables with the P3 and I1, then stepping back to anything thats not as good just looks really bad, I think the very clear digital feed does not suit such small screens of the Dom V3, the analogue module feed masks the limitations of very small LCD screens, because the HDMI is a clear feed you to see the limitations of the small panels.

Im still not sure what the issue is with the blur on the LH screen, perhaps the FatShark just don’t suite my eyes but one or two other people are fiddling the same thing so i just don't know.

If your looking for goggles just for use with the Phantom 3 or the Inspire 1 then it has to be the Headplay, the image quality, detail and clarity win hands down.

If your flying analog FPV then the Dominator V3 are a fine set of goggles and i like the 16:9 aspect, they can take HDMI input and provide a decent image but its not in the same league as the Headplay in this respect, If your looking to use a mixture of both then you just need to decide what takes priority.

If you could try both on in a shop I can bet you would walk out with the Headplay every time just because of the impact of the clarity and size of the screen but the Fatshark is a fine set of FPV goggles.

This is just my personal opinion and you may find they suit you better than me.

DJI Phantom 3 Available from DJI http://click.dji.com/ewNB7_KlfI1ctZ3U

Please Note: As with all my own blog post all links may be affiliate links and i may receive a small commission on any purchase bought through them , if you wish to support me then then are there otherwise you can navigate directly to DJI's website, thank you.
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Aug 25, 2017 at 01:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2015, 09:56 PM
Nice review. Headplays come with 2 lenses. Did you try the less immersive lens also?
Sep 16, 2015, 10:14 PM
Yeah, well done on the review, MA.

I was seriously bummed with my Dom HD V1's, especially before they sold the add on faceplate and fan..I had serious fogging issues. They are OK for flying mini-quads and I also use them for aerobatic flying on rc fixed wing, as the head tracking is essential to maintain situational awareness...plus head tracking is just so cool. Other than that, I use a 10" field monitor for long range fpv, it's much sharper and has better colours, even on 5.8ghz.

Will probably get some headplays though, when my wallet recovers from buying the P3P.

Thanks again for the review.
Sep 17, 2015, 07:14 AM
Launch the drones ...
Good review dude.
Sep 17, 2015, 08:34 AM
Great review Mad. I'm still looking for a good pair of goggles to replace my DomV2s so I don't have extra equipment to power and lug around. Headplays sound great; If you have to move your eyes around, that sounds like it would be more immersive. Like you were in a cockpit and had to look around to see things. However, it's my understanding that headplays don't work well for someone farsighted. I had cataract surgery in one eye and am farsighted in my left eye now. I don't need/use reading glasses, as I'm right eye dominate and can see clearly in my right eye at all distances. Although it sounds like they would still work fine for me, since it's one screen. The DomV2s seem to work for both eyes without glasses, even being farsighted in one eye. Sounds like I might hold off for awhile as the overall size of the Headplays still is a big turnoff for me.
Sep 17, 2015, 12:34 PM
orbit or bust
Thanks for the review. I have been considering getting the V3s (I have V2s now) to fly with my Solo. I'll still try the V3s as I've been a FS guy for years and I am not sure I'll still get laid if I end up wearing the Headplays.

Interesting to see they went from Micro HDMI on the V2 so Mini on the V3.
Sep 18, 2015, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-axis View Post
Thanks for the review. I have been considering getting the V3s (I have V2s now) to fly with my Solo. I'll still try the V3s as I've been a FS guy for years and I am not sure I'll still get laid if I end up wearing the Headplays.

Interesting to see they went from Micro HDMI on the V2 so Mini on the V3.
Ha ha. Does wearing any type of goggles get you laid? I was also interested to see they went from micro to mini. Sucks that I'll need a new cable if I decide to go with the V3s.
Sep 19, 2015, 01:27 PM
Thread OP
GOggles
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Jan 01, 2016 at 07:01 AM.
Sep 20, 2015, 01:55 PM
Thread OP
Updated my review with final conclusions after the 5.8 use.
Sep 20, 2015, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1 View Post
Theses did not help me

Attachment 8257015

Is the image quality on Headplays good enough to, for example, read and write emails, do some basic editing in Premiere, watch youtube?
Sep 21, 2015, 09:59 AM
This was a very nice comparison and helped me cancel my preorder. I'll stick with the headplays for now.

When is the neural interface coming out? All this using my hands and my eyes is way too much work.
Sep 22, 2015, 07:17 AM
Damn the dom v3 look terrible.
Jan 01, 2016, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liizardking0069 View Post
Damn the dom v3 look terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrafty42 View Post
Great review Mad. I'm still looking for a good pair of goggles to replace my DomV2s so I don't have extra equipment to power and lug around. Headplays sound great; If you have to move your eyes around, that sounds like it would be more immersive. Like you were in a cockpit and had to look around to see things. However, it's my understanding that headplays don't work well for someone farsighted. I had cataract surgery in one eye and am farsighted in my left eye now. I also saw this phen375 review and thought of you. I don't need/use reading glasses, as I'm right eye dominate and can see clearly in my right eye at all distances. Although it sounds like they would still work fine for me, since it's one screen. The DomV2s seem to work for both eyes without glasses, even being farsighted in one eye. Sounds like I might hold off for awhile as the overall size of the Headplays still is a big turnoff for me.
I thought it looked ok for the price? What else would you recommend at this price range that is better?
Last edited by SkiCar; Mar 14, 2016 at 12:32 PM.
Jan 16, 2016, 05:06 AM
Can't even get these on my face they are made for either very small faces or kids the ends of the goggles are too narrow to even go on . fat shark need to make them in a wider size . Will stick with my foxtech AIO the foxtech have a much clearer picture any way .
Edit : using a modded diy foam they can be made useable but not what I would call comfy
Last edited by outbackkanga; Jul 30, 2016 at 05:08 AM.
Jan 16, 2016, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiCar View Post
I thought it looked ok for the price? What else would you recommend at this price range that is better?
I have the V3s and they look perfect. My older comment was referring to the picture you took of its screen. That picture really does not do the V3 image justice. Cheers

Quick Reply