Sep 16, 2015, 09:52 AM
Thread OP
Question

all I need is cross hairs.

To be successful at this (SPORT) it think some type of OSD is required.

I'm a newbie, but I know I can do this due to the extensive FP shooters and flying games I have played for years. My screen name SidewinderFSK is from my day of playing Forsaken. I was rated at the 10 ten in the world.

Lag and ping time during the early 90's 9600 baud modems limited who earned the top spot.

Sorry sometime I dwell in the past.

Anyways the camera needs a cross hair, maybe voltage but a cross hair is key. What is the cheapest, lightest OSD that will serve my needs.

I have been training with a FPV Style quad that came with some crappy 3D Clairvoyance goggles but the Bigflyshark flight controller has a GPS and works well.

Today I am moving up to a Emax 280 and Skyzone GS950 goggles, all I need is cross hairs.

By the way if you have a flight sim with out a fpv quad, pick a fast small plane, tweak it a bit and train. Put a small dot centered on your monitor and rocket past the obstacles
Last edited by sidewinderFSK; Sep 16, 2015 at 10:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2015, 10:13 AM
The crosshair is usually provided by the OSD, not the camera, although you could put a physical crosshair in front of the quad
Some flight controllers have something that marks the center of the screen, though usually it is an artificial horizon.

Personally I don't think a crosshair is as useful on an aircraft as it is in a first person shooter, as the center of the screen isn't necesarily where the craft is going. Next to wind/yaw/strafing, the speed affects how much tilted down the view is, so the dot doesn't really show anything useful if it's stationary.
Sep 16, 2015, 10:26 AM
Thread OP
Personally I do think it is, and I know the OSD is separate from the camera.

Jet fighter pilots have cross hairs, believe me it will help simplify the attack and exit.

Please learn to interpret what you read ,,, Quote (To be successful at this (SPORT) it think some type of OSD is required.)

All I want is a cheap, reliable OSD that projects a center point.
Sep 16, 2015, 10:33 AM
Thread OP
I could surf the net and call a store to find one for my needs but I figured that some of RC Groups Brainiacs would save me some time.
Sep 16, 2015, 10:38 AM
Just call me Justin.
I'm right there with you sidewinder.

But what kind of crosshairs? Mill dot? Acog style? Circle with a cross?

I'm a mill dot fan myself.
Sep 16, 2015, 10:46 AM
You could use minimOSD the virtual horizon isn't a crosshair but it sits in the middle and marks it, also shows you nice stuff like pitch roll angles its cheap 10-20$ range.

You could also go in and customize the font to make something look like a crosshair (any random icon it uses) and simply place it in the middle of the display.
Sep 16, 2015, 10:54 AM
Thread OP
A mil dot wouldn't be bad, I could adjust for drift :-).

as for virtual horizon this is what I am finding in most OSD's. I can't find a non moving dot or line center screen.

I could put a .5 mil small sticky dot on the LCD screen of the goggles, hummmm

now as I think about it jt41time you put an idea into my head, most modern rifle scopes now have a glass disc with the radical encapsulated.

I have some old scopes that fell apart from the recoil of my 308, I could place it in front of my dominate eye in the goggles behind the lens?
Last edited by sidewinderFSK; Sep 16, 2015 at 11:07 AM.
Sep 16, 2015, 11:13 AM
Thread OP
Could this be added to a video signal. The answer is yes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-OSD-Cross...p2047675.l2557

Igors cross hair (1 min 50 sec)

this can be adjusted for high speed flight since its movable
Last edited by sidewinderFSK; Sep 16, 2015 at 09:43 PM.
Sep 16, 2015, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinderFSK
Jet fighter pilots have cross hairs, believe me it will help simplify the attack and exit.
true, but jet fighters aren't facing down while moving forward.

quads aren't level when they are moving forwards, especially when moving quickly.
Sep 16, 2015, 11:24 AM
Thread OP
the camera is, the camera is the center point and the camera can be adjusted to any angle but I do get your point, maybe a moveable horizontal line is the answer
Sep 16, 2015, 11:37 AM
Depending on the camera, some of them already have markers built in.

Sep 16, 2015, 11:42 AM
Thread OP
Hajile that's is cool,, where do I find that
Sep 16, 2015, 11:47 AM
Quote:
the camera is, the camera is the center point and the camera can be adjusted to any angle but I do get your point, maybe a moveable horizontal line is the answer
occasionally. the camera is usually angled up about 20 degrees or so but the quad will be pitching up and down much more than that.
Sep 16, 2015, 11:48 AM
the hs1177 has it built in. other cameras that it is based on probably do as well.
Sep 16, 2015, 01:03 PM
Just call me Justin.
Quote:
A mil dot wouldn't be bad, I could adjust for drift :-).

as for virtual horizon this is what I am finding in most OSD's. I can't find a non moving dot or line center screen.

I could put a .5 mil small sticky dot on the LCD screen of the goggles, hummmm

now as I think about it jt41time you put an idea into my head, most modern rifle scopes now have a glass disc with the radical encapsulated.

I have some old scopes that fell apart from the recoil of my 308, I could place it in front of my dominate eye in the goggles behind the lens?
Do what I do with video games. I take a screen cover for my tablet and draw a fine crosshairs on it and apply it to my TV. Works great for cod and BF4. Just use a screen protector from a phone. Draw fine lines. Cut to shape. Done.

Quick Reply