Sep 16, 2015, 12:37 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Why do people fly with FPV Goggles over Monitor on TX?

Just bought a Quanum Nova for myself and want to do FPV but no idea what's involved. I really want to do the Screen on the controller over the goggles. Seems reading on the forums that many people like the goggles over the Monitor on your Transmitter. I was kinda wanting to buy the Monitor for the Transmitter that came with my Quanum so that I could still walk around and see where I'm walking and also look up once in awhile to spot my Quadcopter and make sure there are no trees or any powerless or stuff I need to be aware of. Any idea what I would need to buy to hook up my quad to FPV and my GoPro Hero 3 Black? Also going to buy the Q2 Gimbal for the GoPro. Any help would be appreciated..
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2015, 01:17 AM
Sunlight is the reason for goggles. Ever try reading your smartphone screen in daylight?

I agree though. I much prefer a monitor too since I wear very heavy prescription glasses and goggles that can adjust for glasses only go to about +/-3 diopters (come on! You practically don't even need glasses at +/-3 diopters!). However, I don't like the bulky sun shades either. But transflective or reflective screens are practically non-existent.
Sep 16, 2015, 02:33 AM
I use monitor because it allows me to still see and interact with the surroundings, aswell as see the transmitter switches, and easier transition to LOS if necessary.

I got cheap quanum "goggles" but they give me an instant headache.

The sun can be annoying when using monitor, but I get around by positioning myself so the screen hood or my body blocks sunlight going right on the screen.
Sep 16, 2015, 04:35 AM
im after immersion i want to feel like im flying lol
Sep 16, 2015, 11:26 AM
400' + is where fun starts.
I have both. I may use goggles when with other flyers are around but never alone.
Sep 16, 2015, 12:13 PM
fly by night
I have monitor on a tripod but mainly fly with goggs. I would never have one on the transmitter. Since I am into aggressive flying, aerobatics, racing the goggles are better for putting you right in the cockpit. Also with built in receiver, goggles means you have minimal kit to haul around, no ground station necessary.

Those monitors mounted on transmitters ... are mainly for aerial Photography folks, whose aircraft fly themselves. They use the monitor to frame shots mainly, not to actually fly the aircraft. glare and weirdness are some reasons why I would not do it. I would need reading glasses to see it so close

monitor on tripod is OK though, imho. For aircraft that are not doing aerobatics or proximity much. I usually use 7" monitor and it is mainly for spectator use and my DVR. I have used a 32" monitor in the back of a truck, which was very cool, nearly as immersive as goggles. But more of a pita to haul around, have separate GS, etc
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Sep 16, 2015 at 12:22 PM.
Sep 16, 2015, 12:32 PM
I use goggles with a head tracker, and because much more immersive feeling overall.
I've offered passengers over the years the option of standalone display or goggles/HMD and
can tell by their reactions that they always find the latter much more immersive,
while they become easily bored with the display. With the display it often takes a while before
people even make the connection between what they're seeing, and the aircraft. They
look at it, like they're just watching something on TV.
Last edited by Daemon; Sep 16, 2015 at 12:37 PM.
Sep 19, 2015, 11:14 AM
I fly goggles. When learning to fly I did all los but for FPV it is goggles all the way. I do mini racing quads and too much happens too quickly to even think about looking up and down from the monitor. I have one running so my spotter can watch and see what I see but for piloting,, I want goggles.
Sep 21, 2015, 12:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocketeer
I fly goggles. When learning to fly I did all los but for FPV it is goggles all the way. I do mini racing quads and too much happens too quickly to even think about looking up and down from the monitor. I have one running so my spotter can watch and see what I see but for piloting,, I want goggles.

So that brings me to my next question. How do you watch from one pair and let someone else also watch from another pair? What I'm asking is how do you pair 2 goggles to the same Quad?
Sep 21, 2015, 12:43 PM
Oldie, not Moldie
A video transmitter is just sending out a signal. No pairing is done. 1000s of receivers could get the signal and watch the video...
Sep 21, 2015, 01:03 PM
I've done both. Monitor first then went to goggles. I'll never go back.

It's all about the immersion.
Sep 21, 2015, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssayer
A video transmitter is just sending out a signal. No pairing is done. 1000s of receivers could get the signal and watch the video...
it is true no pairing done

but for some the 1000s receivers will saturate the broadcast signal

meaning very low signal to noise

as long as goggles do not blue on you then all ok
Sep 21, 2015, 01:51 PM
Oldie, not Moldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnI2
it is true no pairing done

but for some the 1000s receivers will saturate the broadcast signal

meaning very low signal to noise

as long as goggles do not blue on you then all ok
Huh? Receivers saturate the broadcast signal??
Sep 21, 2015, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssayer
Huh? Receivers saturate the broadcast signal??
receiver generate some noise

so multiply 1000 and you have lots of noise

hence low signal to noise ratio

and receiver also suck some of the broadcast signal

example, 100mw transmitter is divided amongst 1000 receivers

result is only 0.1mw a receiver
Sep 21, 2015, 02:35 PM
Oldie, not Moldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnI2
receiver generate some noise

so multiply 1000 and you have lots of noise

hence low signal to noise ratio

and receiver also suck some of the broadcast signal

example, 100mw transmitter is divided amongst 1000 receivers

result is only 0.1mw a receiver
Now that's a first! How, oh how, did we ever get to watch TV with all those receivers dividing the transmitting signal?

Quick Reply