Sep 15, 2015, 08:16 AM
Thread OP
Alert

Hi guys, im in need of your observations on my first build

Here's my first build, "YELLOW", maiden last saturday, my first time to fly rc-plane as well.

My First Scratchbuilt RC-Trainer "YELLOW"s Maiden Flight (4 min 3 sec)

I think control surfaces are to reactive for a trainer(stick scaling shall be reduce)and a bit fast than expected..i want it slow amap.
Since it's my first time to fly rcplane, i hardly notice some flight defects which most of you may observe, however it flies at 50% throtle, i think it doesnt self level, it stay oncourse when all sticks are released(i maybe wrong)..kindly watch the video and ill be all willing to here from you some observations .Btw, nose dives occur after climb due to insufficient power(motor-prop) and sudden climb or drop is pilot error(excessive stick movement)

MATERIAL:
Styro Foam Reinforced with
Packing tape, Duct Tape and BBQ skewer spar

EECTRONICS:
1000kv Motor, 30amp ESC, 8060Plastic Props, 3-9g Servos (no rudder), RG831B DMSS reciever and 1000mah 11.1 Volts Lipo

463g AUW, 1300mm WS, 175mm Wing Cord.

Its flies for 6mins in about 1v consumption(12.6 to 11.6V), lipo is unreliable so have to cut flight immediately.

I think the build went well and i cant be less happier about it, however im sure there are things i may oversee since im still new on this stuff.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2015, 10:45 PM
Scratchbuild Aviation
the specs seems normal . given you manage to keep it in the air long enough. typically most builds out of EPS of that size endup at that weight,

my PX4 us 400g roughly flying on 1940 KV Emax 2205

also if it stays straight forward flight on control release at any orientation then its a pattern style plane design. im amaze not all newbies can fly Pattern planes unless they have CP heli experience or multirotors w/o self level function turn on.

whats your airfoil type Symmetrical or flat bottom

Pattern planes always fly fast the when you drop throttle it has a tendency to nose dive and you need to force it up just to give it lift. try moving the CG back alittle see if it minimize the issue

because trainer or slow fly planes with their dihedral and under camber wings will always want to stay up right and level on control release .
Sep 15, 2015, 11:28 PM
Thread OP
I believe it's the "flat bottom", curve on top and i simply kept it flat as much as i can at the bottom for ease of constructing.
I tried dropping the throttle and release all sticks,it tends to nose dive, but can be manage by bit of elev pitch.
Before this build i use to fly forza450, wltoysV931 and an fpv250 mini quad, basic hovering only and moving around, i easily get confused with orientation then the time i started the first build i practice on simulation apps on my mobile, its a big help on keeping her in the air, but then landing is bit more tricky, second flight broke her tail upon landing and the third one causes her severe backpain.lol

Since it flies half throttle, I'll try replacing motor and esc with its original tiny (multistar 1704 1900kv) motor, 12amp esc and 5045 props to reduce more wieght (70g reduction atleast)..
Jan 07, 2016, 09:06 PM
Hi i have a RG831B receiver the lead that connects the telementary has broken and the telementry does not light up anymore i tried to connect my controller to an orange rx receiver and when i swapped back my original receiver would not bind and the light was not going on my telementry receiver so i guessed that was the problem?any help would be great
Feb 01, 2016, 11:10 PM
Scratchbuild Aviation
check the pins if they'er still functioning.

Quick Reply