Sep 15, 2015, 03:50 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Thread OP
Discussion

How Long Does It Take

How long does it take to learn to 3D a Heli and fly it really well in all orientations??

I'm a competent fixed wing 3D pilot and can fly a collective pitch heli in normal flight upright reasonably well but have been trying to learn inverted flight (mainly on a simulator) and where I took to planes reasonably well this seems a bit like pulling teeth at the moment.

It may be that it took longer than I remember with planes (was a few years back) and also because I can fly planes got to grips with normal flight with a heli relatively quickly but progress beyond that seems to be a long and bumpy road!!
I'm making all the classic mistake like when I'm in trouble cutting the throttle and the other main one is elevator when the rudder's facing away from me.

Be interested to see what others say and how long it took them to become really competent and react correctly even in trouble situations??
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2015, 11:43 AM
It depends on how you practice. all orientation 3D take quite a bit time to fly well. Seems like you are talking about fly up side down instead of orientations and it will take some time to cope with the correction when flying inverted but will be way less than mastering all orientations.
Sep 15, 2015, 01:25 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
Months if you fly a few batteries a day, years if you fly on the weekends.
Sep 15, 2015, 02:31 PM
Use the flybar young Padawan
The way I learned on the simulator was first write down on a piece of paper where the sticks should be if I was inverted . It's opposite and sometimes you need to move the sticks the same direction . It took me a month everyday 15 min a day . The first time after 5 min I was too frustrated to even look at the sim but after a while it just clicked .
Sep 16, 2015, 07:15 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Thread OP
Thanks for everyone's input, guess I#ll just resign myself that it's going to be a slow and more expensive process that planes
Sep 16, 2015, 05:30 PM
Tarot 550/600 & OMPHobby UK
Many never get to the point where they can do real hardcore 3D with helis (or planes for that matter). In fact if you are starting when more mature in years few really get to that level (though there are exceptions).

Flying upside down on the other hand (which is far from '3D') is something that shouldn't be too hard if you are already comfortable in all upright orientations.

As for getting out of trouble... most times as long as you remember which way to move the collective stick the heli will move in the required direction (i.e. away from the ground). The latest generation of FBL controllers with 'rescue' functionality are worth considering.
Sep 16, 2015, 06:55 PM
One person I sold a helicopter to was doing fairly decent 3D within a month. He never flew anything before. Meet him in a hobby shop a few weeks after selling him the helicopter. He asked me about how to do piro flips. Found out he was attempting them and almost had it down. A few minutes working with him on the sim, and he had it. I was surprised, as most people that actually try take years to get to that point.
Sep 16, 2015, 07:54 PM
A man who delivers.(packages)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer

Flying upside down on the other hand (which is far from '3D') is something that shouldn't be too hard if you are already comfortable in all upright orientations.
well, at what point does flying 3d technically start?
Sep 16, 2015, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback
Months if you fly a few batteries a day, years if you fly on the weekends.
Agreed I have been flying on sim and helis for 2 years now and finally this summer I have the confidence to do forward flight now. I was stressing myself out because I want to do 3d flying also. Not the extreme 3d but want to fly inverted and flip and things. I only get to fly on sundays and that isn't even every sunday so it will be a process. The way I am going at it is I am just enjoying my flying and want to absolutely profect my forward scale type flying and when I have that down to a art than I can think about working on 3d. Don't stress and worry about it just progress at your pace and it will all come to you.
Sep 17, 2015, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher
well, at what point does flying 3d technically start?
Good point. If I was going to come up with a definition of '3D' it might be something like:

Quote:
Aerobatic manoeuvres requiring simultaneous coordination of controls in all three axis
So a flip or a loop or inverted (by my definition) isn't '3D' but a piroflip or funnel is. On the other hand some around here seem to think 3D is 'any manoeuvre that typical full size heli cant do'
Sep 17, 2015, 05:43 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Thread OP
It's much easier to define 3D on a plane as it's generally considered as flying in a stalled condition ie the motor is providing the lift as opposed to the wings so not sure how that'd translate to a heli unless it's grown wings

Wonder if it'd be when it's in a more vertical position and doing manoeuvres like tic tocs
Last edited by Witterings; Sep 17, 2015 at 05:51 AM.
Sep 17, 2015, 06:18 AM
I agree... the 'wings stalled' definition just doesn't work with a heli....
Sep 17, 2015, 07:21 AM
A man who delivers.(packages)
JPF, I guess that makes sense
It sort of never dawned on me what 3d flying is

Witterings, I have a better one: utilizing angle of attack beyond capabilities of normal flight?
Sep 17, 2015, 07:27 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Thread OP
I quite like this quote from someone in another thread but it was talking about flying planes either pattern or 3D

Quote:
I think it was Mark Wood who said something like the difference between 3D and Pattern flying is ...Pattern flying looks like a Falcon in flight while 3D flight resembles a Hooked Marlin.....
Sep 25, 2015, 02:27 PM
W4BYE, FAA 107 Certified
I've been flying for 2 years on and off as the mood strikes me. I can do loops flips and rolls now. If I get out once a week I'm lucky. The one thing that's helped me the most is the simulator, second is flying quads. Quads are no where near as difficult as heli's, but it does help to teach you orientation.

Quick Reply