Sep 15, 2015, 01:36 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Need help identifying source of vibration (Vortex)

Hey All,

I'm relatively new to FPV/racer quads, and jumped right in by getting the ImmersionRC Vortex. As such, I've been spoiled by the on-board pro tunings and am not very experienced with customizing my PIDs.

Today, i went to Ummagawd's Precision tuning, which I absolutely love the feel of. The only problem is that I am now getting a slight vibration in my flying. I did not notice this while flying today, but when I got home to watch my actioncam footage it was immediately obvious to me. I could hear it in the sounds from the motors, and see it in the video.

Due to my lack of experience, I am not sure what the culprit is for this. I just received my prop balancer today in the mail after I went flying, so the props weren't balanced (I know, rookie mistake). However, I have flown with these props on other pro tunings without issue. Similarly, it was extremely windy today when I was flying - but I have encountered strong winds before and not had this problem. This leads me to believe that it is a PID issue, which still seems odd to me since others don't seem to be experiencing this with similar set ups (vortex on this tuning). I'm a little overwhelmed with PID research, and certainly don't want to make the problem worse by guessing wrong. So, I was hoping someone here could lend me their expertise and give me some guidance on how to sort this out. All of your help is much appreciated.

Here is a sample of the flight video to show you what I mean:
Sample of Vibration Issue - Vortex (1 min 12 sec)

Please let me know if you would like to see more of the flight to properly identify the issue; and thanks in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2015, 10:22 AM
First of all, PID tuning is unique to each quad... Yes a set-up for another vortex running the same kit will be close, but it'll never be exactly the same (partly due to pilot preferences)

I can't see the vid as I'm at work, but essentially you need to back off either the P values or the I values a little depending on the oscillation you are getting.

Wind definitely effects the ideal PID tuning, and most really finely tuned PIDs could do with being dropped a tad for windy conditions... as a consequence most set up their PIDs to include this reduction and run like that in normal conditions.

PID tuning is a very long and complex subject, and cannot be explained in a 5 min youtube vid or a couple of hundred words of text except the very basics.

The best bet is to read a lot, experiment a bit, read some more, then experiment some more and just learn. Always save your settings before you change anything so you have a good set-up to go back to, and be wary of other factors that could effect PIDs (e.g. Does your battery always mount in the same place? are you batteries all the same spec, weight, discharge rate and size? are your props balanced? are your motors balanced? what altitude (ASL) are you flying at etc)
Sep 16, 2015, 03:30 PM
"Uh, Oh that ch was reversed."
Also if your mobius/gopro is onboard, different props...different battery etc. ANYTHING that changes weight or the movement of weight (balance).

Quick Reply