Phoenix Models Dolphin Mk2 - RC Groups
Sep 14, 2015, 12:05 PM
dbc
dbc
Discussion

Phoenix Models Dolphin Mk2

This one is on Tower's weekly sale and, with club discount, comes to less than $85 shipped. It's a nice big 1600mm plane with the high quality Oracover. I just couldn't resist.

Anyone have some experiences with it to share?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEWYC&P=7
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2015, 11:32 PM
$99.00 at the weekly special price. $10.00 off for the coupon code. Noticed on the Phoenix website is states its covered in oracover. Looks alot like an Escapade.

Jim
Sep 15, 2015, 07:52 AM
I just want to go fly!
i had my eye on it as well
Sep 15, 2015, 08:34 AM
dbc
dbc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpurcha
$99.00 at the weekly special price. $10.00 off for the coupon code. Noticed on the Phoenix website is states its covered in oracover. Looks alot like an Escapade.

Jim
Tower Club discount code gives $15 off for $85 total price.

The plane does look a lot like an Escapade. It's size is closest to the 61 Escapade - but about half the price. I've had the 40 size and MX Escapades and liked them both.

From my experience with several Phoenix models, I'd expect the Dolphin to be the equal of the GP Escapades in quality. Mine will be here in a couple of days and I'll try to post some pictures. The color scheme will be a nice change-up from all the red/white models seen nowadays.

The configuration of this plane isn't one that works well at my flying site. I'm going to attempt a major modification to make it more suitable for me. It's probably going to cause some raised eyebrows.

Dave
Last edited by dbc; Sep 15, 2015 at 12:50 PM.
Sep 15, 2015, 08:28 PM
Has anyone seen a manuel (.... manual) on this plane?

Jim
Sep 16, 2015, 07:15 AM
mine got delayed in the mail ... bought at full price oh well it is going to get here eventually
Sep 16, 2015, 02:17 PM
dbc
dbc
I don't know why Tower didn't post the manual on their website. I could not find it anywhere else. It looks to be a straightforward assembly like several other Phoenix planes I have done.

Fitting the wings into a saddle underneath the fuselage gives up the nice big removable canopy/hatch used when the wings are attached to the fuse sides by nylon thumbscrews. Phoenix uses both designs but I actually prefer the latter. However, my Tiger Sport is designed like the Dolphin and it works fine. The much smaller battery hatch is a little tight, but not unreasonably so.

My plane is scheduled for delivery tomorrow afternoon.
Sep 16, 2015, 02:30 PM
What motor, ESC and prop are you planning for your assembly?
Sep 16, 2015, 04:14 PM
dbc
dbc
I'll probably go with the same Emax motor I have used in a couple of these similar sized Phoenix planes, Enrique. It's the GT4020/07. A $46 motor that runs at about 1150 watts with no sweat. Best on 5s and I have several of those. I've got a Skypower 60a ESC in my parts bin now that will work with it.

I recall you generally use 6s power. What are you thinking for powering yours?

Dave
Sep 16, 2015, 05:03 PM
I just want to go fly!
How does this setup not work at your flying site? Seems it would do well from pavement or grass.
Sep 16, 2015, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
I'll probably go with the same Emax motor I have used in a couple of these similar sized Phoenix planes, Enrique. It's the GT4020/07. A $46 motor that runs at about 1150 watts with no sweat. Best on 5s and I have several of those. I've got a Skypower 60a ESC in my parts bin now that will work with it.

I recall you generally use 6s power. What are you thinking for powering yours?

Dave
I now have some 4S 4000mAh 40C batteries... No idea on the motor though... Open to suggestions... I have some EMax BL4020, BL4030 , Rimfire .46 and .55 available. Which one do you think would do a better job?
Sep 16, 2015, 07:01 PM
dbc
dbc
Quote:
Originally Posted by eihoward
I now have some 4S 4000mAh 40C batteries... No idea on the motor though... Open to suggestions... I have some EMax BL4020, BL4030 , Rimfire .46 and .55 available. Which one do you think would do a better job?
Looks like the Rimfire 46 is the only one you listed with a KV rating high enough for 4s and a reasonable size prop. But you'll be limited to about 1000w to keep the Amp draw in line. That should be enough unless you really are a speed demon.

In that case (speed demon) I'd go for either of the two around 500kv and use 6s. Should be good for 1200-1400w.

Dave
Sep 16, 2015, 07:16 PM
dbc
dbc
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd
How does this setup not work at your flying site? Seems it would do well from pavement or grass.
I fly off of a narrow paved strip with obstacles on both sides of the pavement. Absolute precision on ground handling for takeoff and landing is a must for me.

I have found that the larger and heavier tail draggers are frequently squirrelly on the last few feet of the landing rollout. They're usually fully controllable on maybe 80% of the landings. But that's just not good enough for me. These same draggers do fine on grass but I never fly off of grass.

For this reason, I strongly prefer tricycle gear - and I'm going to look into converting the Dolphin to this configuration.

Dave
Sep 16, 2015, 07:29 PM
dbc
dbc
BTW: A friend who flies large dragger warbirds insisted that his planes were fully controllable on pavement. He (indirectly) suggested that the problem was my flying skills.

I ask him to bring a couple of his planes to my flying venue, show me that he could control them, and teach me how to do it. Very first landing his big P 51 Mustang veered off the pavement, hit a mailbox post damaging the wing. I watched maybe a dozen more landings and his fully controllable percentage was certainly no better than mine.

Most flying sites, a roll off into the grass is no big deal. But to me it can mean disaster.
Sep 17, 2015, 08:40 AM
yep i thought the same, looks like an Escapade, wounder if it lands hot like the Escapade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpurcha

Jim