ReadyMadeRC FPV Fest 2015 - RCGroups Event Wrapup - RC Groups

ReadyMadeRC FPV Fest 2015 - RCGroups Event Wrapup

In true ReadyMadeRC fashion, the 2nd annual FPV Fest went down without a hitch!

ReadyMadeRC FPV Fest 2015 - RCGroups Event Wrapup

A little wind. A little rain. A lot of flying.

From the end of the very first FPV Fest last year, where the town of Willard, Ohio opened up the Willard Municipal Airport to a gaggle of crazed video-pilots for 3 whole days, I've been counting the hours till my return. The ReadymadeRC team took what they learned from hosting an event aimed at such a unique style of radio-controlled flying, where only a handful of pilots can fly at once due to video frequency limitations, and made it even better in 2015. Twenty-minute time slots were available for computer sign-up across a spread of available frequencies and channel blocks. Broadcast announcer Joe Scully MC'ed the entire event, from play-by-play race coverage, to frequency slot announcements and event updates throughout the weekend.

Friday marked the official start of FPV Fest 2015. Dry, albeit overcast skies prevailed for most of the day until later in the afternoon when an ominous storm front that everyone was watching on their phones finally moved through, marking the end of flying for the day. Fortunately, everyone on the field got in plenty of flights and practice runs on the track for Saturday's scheduled racing.

FPV Racing

The multirotor racing was updated this year with a timing system from I-Laps. The course layout was well designed and quite challenging with the stiff crosswind that blew consistently across the course all day Saturday. Even the 250-sized quads were getting blown off the course center-line with gusts near 25mph. But, despite the winds, the racing went down very well. With RMRC's Joe Estes as the flight boss, the time between heats was reduced to an average of 6.5 minutes! Nice work, Joe.

General FPV Flying

With the airspace above and around Willard Municipal Airport officially closed for the event, the attendees had a safe area to fly first-person-view. Between the intermittent rain and Saturday's scheduled racing, you saw just about everything being flown FPV. Frequency conflicts were kept to a minimum, thanks to the card and time slot system: all you had to do was walk up to the main tent and sign up for a 20-minute time slot. When your time was called, retrieve the frequency card from the previous user and have fun flying!

FPV sometimes gets a bad reputation due to the drone connotation, but the FAA worked with us to close the airspace over the airport, proving both sides we can work together without incident. That means a lot for the hobby, with hobbyists and organizations watching these types of events closely to see how smoothly they run.

ReadyMadeRC definitely proved that FPV fly-ins are here to stay and can be conducted safely, and I was honored that RCGroups was welcomed to FPVFest 2015 to provide the coverage.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Sep 16, 2015 at 10:06 AM..
Sep 16, 2015, 09:37 PM
Manager Escape and Evasion
Nice photo coverage, Matt. Hope to make it up there next year. The industry is going vertical. I actually have dove in. Already lost my first aircraft. Somebody stop me!
Sep 16, 2015, 10:51 PM
Awesome work!
Sep 17, 2015, 11:41 AM
Nice! great pictures.
Sep 19, 2015, 12:14 AM
-NEFPV-
Nice! Wish I was there! Maybe next year.
Sep 21, 2015, 01:00 PM
Central Michigan FPV
Great coverage Matt! Props to "Tan Starfield" and all the crew at RMRC for hosting another awesome FPV Fest event! Looking forward to next years event!