Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by mnemennth, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 13, 2015, 09:55 PM
AMA 1033652
Thread OP
Mini-Review

New RCX H2205/2350 : 22xx Power for the 18xx Weight Class!

New RCX H2205/2350 : 22xx Power for the 18xx Weight Class!

I recently received 4 of the new RCX H2205/2350KV motors for my Tech Teardown; thanks to MyRCMart for providing them for review.

RCX H2205-2350 Promotional Price $8.99

Specifications:

Model: H2205-6
KV: 2350KV
Weight: Approx. 24-25g
Cable: 150mm, 22AWG Silicone
Prop Shaft Diameter: 5mm (CW)
Stator Diameter: 22mm
Stator Length: 5mm
Shaft Diameter: 3mm
Configuration: 12N14P
Internal Resistance: 0.109Ω
Suitable ESC: 10-20A

H2205 Mechanical Draft

RCX Published Thrust Data

First Impressions:

The first thing I noticed upon unpacking the motors is how light they feel; all of the 2204-2206 motors I've worked with so far have been noticeably heavier than the DYS 1806es I prefer for my daily drivers. These feel... EXACTLY the same.

H2205/2350 only 24.25 grams bare!

Curious, I pulled out my scale for a quick comparison...

DYS 1805-2300 actually 0.5 grams heavier!

...and found that my favorite 1806es are actually a hair heavier. However, they come with 200mm long leads as opposed to 150mm for the RCX H2205. After searching around for a couple scraps of 22AWG silicone wire to weigh, my calculations indicate that the difference of 150mm total weighs right about 0.5 grams. So... they actually weigh pretty much exactly the same.

For this comparison I weighed without the steel prop nut/washer or spinner; most users will replace with aluminum locknuts so their weight is not relevant.

2205 on a Diet!

That kind of weight reduction doesn't come easy; they had to put this little beast on a hardcore diet. Starting with a compact design for this size, they integrated the propshaft to reduce weight even more while keeping a nice 15.5mm long shaft with a substantial smooth shoulder area to keep your props perfectly centered.

Then, to reduce weight even more, they've carved away everything that is not absolutely essential. The motor base is heavily undercut just like the motor bell above; this also serves to promote cooling airflow for the double-wound stator.

Quality NMB Bearings provide an exceptional smoothness you can feel when turned by hand. This was one of my favorite things about the DYS 1806es until recently; I received a set that were utterly bunk. My vendor replaced them without hassle and the new ones were awesome as I'd come to expect; but still... it doesn't undo the fact.

DYS 1806 Bell & Prop Hub : 10.48 grams

RCX H2205 Bell: 9.48 grams

Here you can see the effects of this weight-saving up close; this motor bell is STILL 1 gram lighter than the 1806!

This motor has a nice long 15mm propshaft, so no need to buy poor quality half-thickness locknuts that damage the threads. It has a larger, more powerful magnet array and stronger 3mm axle shaft, yet still is 1 gram lighter!

Dynamic balancing done in two planes yields an exceptionally smooth motor; spooling up with no prop on the thrust stand yielded no discernible vibration. This motor is as smooth as glass!

Lower rotating mass + more torque = faster spoolup. Physics can be hard; but here its FUN!!!

Summary:

This motor packs exceptional build quality and smooth operation into a package as light as an 1806 but only slightly larger. It will fit nicely in the 180-250mm Acro quad class, and the manufacturer recommends it for 4"-6" props at 3S-5S depending on prop size.

Remember that at 4S & 5S RPMs, desync will be your enemy; use only appropriately fast ESCs or you will face instantaneous smoky disaster!

PROS:

* Small Size & weight for 22xx class motor makes it really comparable to 18xx class
* More power for your mini & micro quads vs 18xx motors with no weight penalty
* Super smooth with dynamic balancing & quality NMB bearings
* Extra-long 15mm x 5mm propshaft means no more cursing that your nuts are too thick
* High Performance motor at a "Daily Driver" Bargain Price (Subject to change )

CONS:

* Heavily undercut Bell & Motor base may not be as durable; time will tell
* Less aluminum means less cooling mass; you will need to be very careful not to overload motor
* Higher RPM capability means you need to buy better, faster ESCs to avoid desync and smoky death
* Shorter 150mm motor leads may not be friendly to some "everything between the frame plates" builds
* Ummm... doesn't cook you breakfast the morning after?

CONCLUSION

This is not a CHEAP motor; it is an exceptionally good quality motor being sold far too cheaply. If you're even thinking about these motors I suggest you should get them while they're still this cheap. Even with shipping, they're an amazing value.

PROP SHOOTOUT!!!

Here's my test setup; I wanted to be able to include RPM data as well, but when I dug out my old Tach, I found it was totally banjaxxed.

RCX H2205 2350 Prop Shootout (9 min 9 sec)

I'm afraid the HQ 5545s didn't make it yet; but I DID manage to produce a usable 4045 for Julian.

Here's the Data!!! https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&d=1442883716

(Data attached as PDF)

mnem OUT!
"Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire!!!"
Last edited by mnemennth; Sep 21, 2015 at 08:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2015, 10:23 PM
Team Drone Art
Great tech teardown Mnem. One of the best I've seen. I learn a few things. I am very surprise about the weight for a 2205 motor. That's lighter than a Cobra 2204 2300kv for instance.

While lots of ppl were looking at top thrust as a guage of motor performance. I always though the speed of acceleration and deceleration may matter more during the course of a race. Depending on the race circuit of course.
Sep 13, 2015, 11:05 PM
The "blue goo" was done from the factory to balance it? If so - I'm impressed. (edit - found confirmation on RCX website) "The motor has been balanced by Motion Balancing Machine so you will see the colored balancing mud in the motor. "

Nicely done.
Sep 14, 2015, 12:40 AM
Firmware Fiend
Great teardown review.

So has this changed your mind (at least a little) about myrcmart?

I've been enjoying mrcm's motors for a while now, and have always thought that they provide great performance and value. These motors are no different; really like them.
Sep 14, 2015, 03:10 AM
-FPV it's a hell of a drug-
dam great teardown mate welldone , got a new raw flight uploaded of there power if it add's to the review i'll post it here
Sep 14, 2015, 07:24 AM
Arctic
Brilliant review of great motor that I've been flying for quite some time . I just can't fault this or any of the RCX motors from MYRCMart.

As for the price it just can't be beat thats for sure and quality is there for sure.

My got to shop for motors

Cheers
BoP
Sep 14, 2015, 07:58 AM
z33
z33
Nice review! Enjoyed reading it.

Would these motors work on a 180 class quad, running 4s? I'm preparing a parts list for some of my smaller frames.
Sep 14, 2015, 11:06 AM
dry your eyes and go fly
Loved this review a lot more than your attitude with new people in the zmr forum, thanks for learning me somthin.

Joe559
Go to take the browns to the super bowl thinking of you.
Sep 14, 2015, 11:21 AM
awesome review mnem,
some thrust tests and maybe comparison to cobra 2204's would be nice.
Sep 14, 2015, 11:29 AM
Rgietsered Uesr
Thanks mnem. Great review!
Sep 14, 2015, 12:11 PM
AMA 1033652
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Great tech teardown Mnem. One of the best I've seen. I learn a few things. I am very surprise about the weight for a 2205 motor. That's lighter than a Cobra 2204 2300kv for instance.

While lots of ppl were looking at top thrust as a guage of motor performance. I always though the speed of acceleration and deceleration may matter more during the course of a race. Depending on the race circuit of course.
It's the same logic as choosing a lighter prop for snappier response; lower rotational mass means quicker response means more agile. I doubt I'll ever be able to outfly even my 1806es; but there are a lot of folks out there who are able to take advantage of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyclopse View Post
The "blue goo" was done from the factory to balance it? If so - I'm impressed. (edit - found confirmation on RCX website) "The motor has been balanced by Motion Balancing Machine so you will see the colored balancing mud in the motor. "

Nicely done.
Yeah; it's colored epoxy. I use epoxy to balance my own motors all the time, but I only do what we'd call "static balancing" with my prop balancer. Most of the time, it's adequate; but if you can buy a motor that's dynamically balanced from the factory like these, at this price, it's a no-brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quasar View Post
Great teardown review.

So has this changed your mind (at least a little) about myrcmart?

I've been enjoying mrcm's motors for a while now, and have always thought that they provide great performance and value. These motors are no different; really like them.
My first experience with their motors was the ZMR/RCX 1804/2400; this was way back when I was still flying the RCX 235mm frames. Back then, the only motors available for a quad this size were horrible post-mount "spindle motor" types popular with foamies; they had horrible balance and ran horribly at high speeds. Horrible x 3!!! The RCX 1804/2400 was a revelation; a quality CNC aluminum high-RPM motor for $10 was a breakthrough!!! This was cheaper than building your own spindle motor from a kit!

I've never had a problem with the quality of their product; in general it has been better than advertised.

I had a run-in with their customer service department, and the downright confrontational attitude shown me was a massive turn-off. You and a number of other users have told me they aren't that way anymore, so I decided to toss my hat in the ring for these motors which sounded awesome just from specs.

I expect that we can start over here; I'm too old for grudges. It wastes too much energy staying mad at somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotceh_dnih View Post
dam great teardown mate welldone , got a new raw flight uploaded of there power if it add's to the review i'll post it here
Fer sherr! I welcome added content, and I'm certainly not enough of a pilot to push these motors anywhere near their limits! I'm TOTALLY Team Nana over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird of Prey View Post
Brilliant review of great motor that I've been flying for quite some time . I just can't fault this or any of the RCX motors from MYRCMart.

As for the price it just can't be beat thats for sure and quality is there for sure.

My go to shop for motors

Cheers
BoP
Yeah; I can't believe the price on these either. Folks need to buy up before they come to their senses. You say you've been flying them for a while; how's the durability been? They REALLY did pare away everything they could; I'm curious how they hold up in crashes.

Or are you one of those nauseating pilots who can land on top of a Coke bottle; fly like the ThunderBirds and never crash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z33 View Post
Nice review! Enjoyed reading it.

Would these motors work on a 180 class quad, running 4s? I'm preparing a parts list for some of my smaller frames.
They actually recommend these for 180 class with 4" props and 4-5S. They are soon going to be releasing a 2633KV version; I expect that to SCREAM on 4S/4" props!

Thread is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2470940

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe559 View Post
Loved this review a lot more than your attitude with new people in the zmr forum, thanks for learning me somthin.

Joe559
Go to take the browns to the super bowl thinking of you.
Honestly, I thought we had sorted this long ago; I don't hold any animosity here.

Tell you what; I'll make you a deal.

Next time our boys meet up, let them decide who wins between us; but we bury the grudge... fair? Life's too short.

mnem
Life is a journey through unfamiliar territory; travel light, lose the hate. ~ mamaturtle
Last edited by mnemennth; Sep 19, 2015 at 02:25 PM.
Sep 14, 2015, 12:14 PM
Armattan dealer in the USA
Has anyone done any thurst/current tests with these versus the Cobras or Sunny Skys on 5 inch props?

Thanks!!
Sep 14, 2015, 12:55 PM
AMA 1033652
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolD View Post
awesome review mnem,
some thrust tests and maybe comparison to cobra 2204's would be nice.
Well, as I stated I will be doing some thrust tests with a variety of props; just waiting on my KingKong 6045s and HQ BN5545s to come in. I don't have any of the Cobra 2204s on hand, and they have been reviewed to death; surely there's no shortage of material to compare these against?

I REALLY need to get moving forward with another HUGE project; Daryoon and Oso Grande know what I'm talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by velez View Post
Thanks mnem. Great review!
Glad to do it; they're an awesome motor. I'm always looking to pay it forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekyguy View Post
Has anyone done any thurst/current tests with these versus the Cobras or Sunny Skys on 5 inch props?

Thanks!!
I'll be posting video thrust tests with these in a little while; but it will be mostly on various 6" props and the new HQ BN5545s.

I'll let y'all compare to the million and six reviews of the Sunnys and Cobras that are already all over the interwebzz; that would be mostly repeated work on my part and I'm behind already as it is.

I'll scrounge about in my bins and see if I have some 5" props lingering from the way back when, but confidence is NOT high.

mnem
Life is like one of those ubiquitous clever metaphors for life; what you get out of it depends on what you read into it.
Sep 14, 2015, 01:13 PM
Team Drone Art
BTW, what do you think about this project @Mnem?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post32664944
Sep 14, 2015, 02:13 PM
AMA 1033652
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
BTW, what do you think about this project @Mnem?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post32664944
That's the Tyto Robotics unit, right?

I think it's awesome, if the software support comes as part of the purchase price. While I wouldn't dare say it's too expensive for what it is, it's still out of MY price range. I wibbled over the cost of the HK Thrust stand for some time, hating to spend the money on something that doesn't fly.

Just as automotive "street" racing has evolved into a completely different thing from when I was young, where you just took the lightest car you could find and shoehorned the biggest motor in it you could, nowadays handling and nimbleness are ALSO paramount.

This is a tool to quantify the things I was talking about in my mini-review; lower rotational mass and longer moment-angle producing more torque and faster spool-up.

Having a means to graph torque response and acceleration of the rotating mass in real time will be a great boon to tuners & racers; these are key to a nimble quad and aside from a few classes, nimbleness is almost always what wins a race.

I can see this being adapted to apply to a completed quad to quantify things like vertical acceleration and roll rate for sure!

For the WarpsQaud set, this will definitely be something worth getting into; even if you have to pitch in with other members of your club to make the cost reasonable.

For me as a casual "Team Nana" Sunday driver... I think I'll probably be better served by my cheap thrust stand. The $$$ that dyno represents would sure buy a lot of props!!!

Cheers!

mnem
Why can't I tune this moose?

Quick Reply