Jul 08, 2004, 11:28 PM
Thread OP

Fiberglass Fuselage for new Schweizer SGS 2-32 underway

Well, with friend Lee looking on I just about broke the blade on probably the most capable bandsaw cutting out the plug for our new 2-32 1:6, 111" (2.8m) span ARF kit. Well it was only bent so I did some creative straightening after Lee left and finished the rough out. Now on to the hand tools. I'll chuck it in the 18" wide hard maple jaws of the bench vise and go at if for about an hour with the draw knife and then tear it up with the ferrier's rasp for another two hours and send you guys a picture of each of those steps. This is going to be the tough one with the shoulders along the forward fuse wing root/cockpit area.

tm
"Home of the Schweizers"
www.tmrcsailplanes.com
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2004, 01:32 AM
glider driver
Hey Tom,
You are really going to town on all these planes. You will have to advertise in quiet flyer (when you are ready!). Maybe just a very small add with your website name.
That plug looks rough, but then again it was just a solid block.
I have flown a 2-32 once. Interesting. It feels very big inside. I did my spin training in it. Boy does that plane spin well! It was my first ever aerobatic manuver. I pulled over 2 G's on one of the recoveries. (140 mph)
Another thing about the 2-32. VERY effective dive breaks. You can dive it verticaly with them open and not shoot redline!
I may go back up to Hemet on Friday. I'll let you know how that goes.
Good luck on the fuse!
RCflieger
Jul 09, 2004, 08:20 AM
Thread OP
RCflieger,

Hey when do you go in to service? There is a guy over in Van Nuys who would like to get a look at a variety of sailplanes to develop flight simulators for all of our models and the full size ships they represent. I told him of you so he could post here and find information about where to best see the various models. Maybe you could drop him a line with a list of plane - airport location for the various Schweizers in socal.

He is jagger at sharpaircraft dot com. He and I will be talking again in a few days but the goals that I set out to address were to be able to fly head to head duration and distance on two machines as in the Soaring National events and also to look into the feasibility of modeling waves and slope lift and being able to go for the altitude record in the Sierra Wave out of Bishop or Lone Pine.

I gotta go make some shavings,

tm
Last edited by mmartin55; Jul 10, 2004 at 07:59 PM.
Jul 10, 2004, 08:06 PM
Thread OP

Sawdust and Shavings

Well its two days later and I made some dust and shavings tonight. After one hour to glue up the blank, spray mount the patterns and band saw out, bent blade an all, I'm one hour in and 20 bucks for materials.

Photo 1 is one hour into project, band sawed out, patterns still in place.

Photo 2 is two hours more in to the 2-32 tooling. You know, I love sweat, old hand tools, and softwoods. Its ready to fill, sand and prime and inspect for defects. two more hours to go.....

tm
Last edited by mmartin55; Jul 10, 2004 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply