2015 Meeting Minutes - RC Groups
Sep 13, 2015, 02:37 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Discussion

2015 Meeting Minutes

As a courtesy to club members who were not able to attend our 2015 club meetings this thread contains posted meeting minutes summaries for your review. I will volunteer to do this at least through the end of the year. If you have suggestions or comments please feel free to post them here or let me know.

Special thanks go out to our good neighbor club South Bay Soaring Society for providing the inspiration for using our club RC Groups forum as a quick and easy way to post meeting minutes. Thanks guys!

Chris B.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2015, 02:40 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Sept 12 Meeting Minutes

Attached you will find the meeting minutes for the Sept 12, 2015 club meeting. If you have any comments, feedback, or corrections please let me know. Because I'd like to preserve the document read count I'll show updates here instead of re-posting the PDF.

Sept 14 update 1: Thanks to Lou Fox for the following corrections/info:
1. The runway dimensions I proposed is 15 ft. wide. Not 50.
2. The caretaker Jesse repaired the pull behind mower at no cost.
3. We need to respect the 5 mph speed entering and leaving the flying site especially to stay on the good side of Jesse
Sept 14 update 2: See the post below titled "Supplement to Sept 12 minutes: Electric Runway info." This info was provided by Bill Rinkleib.
Last edited by SoaringDude; Sep 14, 2015 at 05:00 PM.
Sep 13, 2015, 03:57 PM

good idea

I think this is a good idea Chris. Many members do not come to the contests, some members who attend the contests leave before the meetings. This will enable members not present to keep in touch with club activities.
Mike Clancy
Sep 13, 2015, 08:47 PM
Skyking

Club minutes

Thanks Chris for taking on this important responsibility. Living over 100 miles away myself, I will never make more than a handful of meetings. We do need to know the proceeding and issues such as to how to get my parking pass since I couldn't be at this meeting.

Ron Vlastelica
Sep 14, 2015, 04:58 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Supplement to Sept 12 minutes: Electric Runway info

I just received an email from Bill "Weeds" Rinkleib. Because he was unable to attend this meeting he requested that I post the following results of his research so far into electric runway materials and ground preparation. --Chris
--------------------------------------------------
Bill Rinkleib met with Carl Springer, sales manager for Reed &Graham Inc. (Geosynthetics). He is located in Sacramento near the old Army Depot. We discussed qualities, sizes, life spans, costs etc. of the fabrics he has in stock. I learned the following: Petromat is the lightest weight of the overlay fabrics. It's primary use is as an underlayment to an asphalt overlay for highways. The other material he showed me is woven RG315W. Both materials are porous, but Petromat is about 10 times as porous as the RG. I explained our ground squirrel situation, and Carl indicated that the squirrels would nibble on the Petromat and use the fibers for their nest. Petromat is not a consistent spread layout, but meets quality standards. When you look through it, one area will be dense, while the area adjacent will be much less dense. I have samples of each available.

Petromat comes in a roll 12 1/2 feet by 360 feet and costs $318.
RG315W comes 12 1/2 feet by 360 feet and costs $472, or
RG315W comes 17 1/2 feet by 258 feet and costs $472
60d nails come in a 50# box for $68. (Approx 550)
1 1/2" washers come in a 50# box for $96 (approx 1500)
3 boxes of nails are equated to 1 box of washers
Both materials have a 3 to 7 year life out in the elements.

To do this absolutely right, we should dig down 1/2 to 1 foot, install a layer of Petromat, build up to grade with some compacted base material, grade, compact, spray pre-emergent, then lay the fabric.

To do it, the way I see us doing it, is as follows: grading, leveling, rolling for compaction (the piece I believe was never taken into consideration), spraying a pre-emergent, then rolling out the fabric and nailing it in place.

Carl indicated that he has a sealant (like chewing gum) to stick the overlay to the following placement of overlay. It costs $30 per 50 foot roll.

I would suggest we go with the RG315W, after all the prep work is done. Carl will deliver to the site for $100.

I also propose that we go with the 17.5 foot by 258 foot roll, and do only the south runway at this time, but expand it to 34 by 129 feet.

Material costs (only) would be:
RG315W. $472
Nails (3) $68x3 = $204
Washers $96
Delivery. $100
Sealant 3x$50= $150
Total. $1022 Excluding preemergent, leveling, grading, compaction, etc.
So far the club has authorized spending $500 for materials for this project. Materials alone will cost at least $1022.

The piece not yet discussed is the prep work. This will be the most expensive part, unless someone knows a contractor or someone in the earth moving business, who can cut us a deal. I believe this issue needs much more discussion, before we move forward.

Weeds
Sep 15, 2015, 02:48 PM
Thank you Bill (Weeds) for the research.
At this point would like to see this all get organized in a format to see it go forward to a (logical) conclusion.
For instance-
1. A committee of Weeds and whoever else to provide the following scenarios- materials and instillation costs and how to pay for it. This seems to be underway. Need to see how many members will volunteer to help with installation.
2. Members input and vote to approve a plan (via email).
3. Mart submits plan to county for approval.
4. If approved by county build it and apply for AMA grant to possibly offset all or most costs

Seems to me that this thread should be going out on the SVSS members list serve so all members have the opportunity to see and comment in the process.

My $.02
Lou
Sep 15, 2015, 03:26 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Lou, all I wanted this thread to provide is meeting summaries for members who were not present (i.e. a majority of the club).

One option you may want to consider is calling Weeds and discussing how you both want to continue the club dialogue on the runway. The email list is one way, creating another RCG forum thread is another. You could even do club-wide conference calls. I can help you set this up if you're interested.