Sep 12, 2015, 12:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Best EPP 3D With 600-1200mm Wingspan

Hi All,

I'm new to RC planes. I've bought a few that I like. Some I'll have to wait to fly because they're for advanced flyers. I couldn't help myself because I like them so much.

Now, I need to buy a couple of small slow 3D planes I can fly in my back yard. I live on 2 acres but only a very small portion is mostly cleared. Outside this small area are trees and wire fences as obstacles.

I'm thinking 3D planes with 600-900mm wingspan that can be flown very slowly is what I need here. However, I've seen videos of planes with 1200mm and a bit longer wingspan that THOSE pilots could easily fly in this space.

I want EPP because I WILL crash them.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2015, 09:02 PM
I have a 32" Twisted Hobbies Crack Yak that is a great flyer for small spaces and TOUGH!! It's had more than a few hard encounters with the ground, and with a bit of CA it is back up in the air, no worse for the wear.
Sep 12, 2015, 09:12 PM
Thread OP
It's interesting you mention the Crack Yak. I've seen some intriguing videos of that plane.
Sep 12, 2015, 09:35 PM
It is an outstanding little 3D plane. You can fly it at walking speed and it is incredibly responsive.
Sep 12, 2015, 09:42 PM
Yak 54 1100mm at NitroPlanes.com

It is an airplane for dummies.
Sep 13, 2015, 07:23 AM
Thread OP
An airplane for dummies is precisely what I need.

I've watched several videos and both of these look like wonderful flyers for my back yard. I think I'm more interested in the smaller planes due to my limited fly space. The Crack Yak Mini looks fantastic as does the Mini MXS-C D1. These both have 610mm wingspans.

Any more suggestions for easy 3D EPP models with 24-30 inch wingspans?
Last edited by ignernt_dweeb; Sep 13, 2015 at 08:26 AM.
Sep 13, 2015, 01:28 PM
If there's any wind at all, I don't recommend 24" or lite indoor planes. Much learning can be achieved with the 32" EPP's. I have a 39" Twisted Edge, but the 32" floatier slower range may fit your space better. A friend let me fly his 32' MXS the other day, and it was so stable, and flew well inside the space required by my 39". The Crack Yak is supposed to be even floatier but with plenty of control authority.
T.P.
Sep 13, 2015, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
I'm in south Texas so I do have breezes and it's often windy. I'll only fly in light breezes though. I'll have a look at the 30-34 inch models.
Sep 13, 2015, 07:14 PM
AMA 46133
Don't think too small. Smaller is not better. A 3D plane may not be your best bet in learning to fly unless you dial down the control movement. Try to look for a slow flyer instead if you plan to fly in light wind condition.
Sep 13, 2015, 07:34 PM
Value Hobby has some $25 kits. I think around $60 will get you everything but a Rx and Tx. I just built one this weekend and haven't been able to fly it yet. There's a long thread all about them.
Sep 14, 2015, 03:59 AM
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=77300

HK now has the 55" Foamy's in AR warehouse

IMHO - one of the best deals from HK.
Sep 14, 2015, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
I realize smaller planes are more difficult to control and are more prone to be blown away. I had a little featherweight E-flight Cub with AS3X I flew only once. The air was dead calm but within seconds after launch the wind picked up and carried it away. I couldn't get enough down elevator to bring her down so it was bye bye birdy!!

That was a tiny ultralight though so I was thinking something just a little larger and heavier would be okay... and of course make sure of the elevator adjustment... ha ha!!

The open space in my back yard is fairly small so I worry a 1200mm plane will be too large. Maybe I'm wrong.

I took another look at my fly space and it's smaller than I had originally guessed. It's probably about 60x100 feet or 20x30 meters. This is the open area between trees and buildings. There's a 4 foot tall wire fence (1.3 meters tall) dividing this space in half longways.

EDIT: After saner more logical pondering... I'm thinking this space is too small for anything except a multrotor.
Last edited by ignernt_dweeb; Sep 14, 2015 at 11:15 AM.
Sep 14, 2015, 12:39 PM
Thread OP
I should add that I'll be using a receiver with a gyro stabilizer. That should make smaller aircraft easier to fly outside.
Sep 18, 2015, 08:49 PM
Which cub did you have? Most of these tiny 3d epp planes will get blown around just as much , even with a gyro. I had a hobbyzone cub with safe that could only handle ljght wind but could fly just about anywhere. I then bought a nitroplanes sbach epp and love it. It can fly in your space but you need an open area to first try it out. Goodluck
Sep 18, 2015, 09:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflchurch
Which cub did you have? Most of these tiny 3d epp planes will get blown around just as much , even with a gyro. I had a hobbyzone cub with safe that could only handle ljght wind but could fly just about anywhere. I then bought a nitroplanes sbach epp and love it. It can fly in your space but you need an open area to first try it out. Goodluck
It was the HobbyZone Sport Cub S. That thing was just too light to fly outside. When the wind suddenly picked up from near zero to 10, then 20+ MPH it was gone gone gone.

I've looked at the Tech One Sbach 342 but there are so many options available that the choices become mind-boggling. I'll have another look at that one.

Quick Reply