This thread is privately moderated by quitcherbitchen, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 11, 2015, 09:20 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
Build Log

Targets for bombing

Stuka hits Polish Village House (0 min 11 sec)
Whenever I fly my planes with the Adam Bombs on them it is always more fun to have a target. So I got inspired by reading International Model Airplane magazine when I read an advertisement for Airfix and their diorama building sets. So I went dumpster diving and found lots of 3/4" styrofoam sheets. I have also built a foam cutter by watching youtube videos. The foam I then craft into scale replica building based on the Airfix sets. I used an approximate 1/18 scale. The idea is to get about six or seven of these to make a village/city target for my Hobby King B-17 and my other bombers. Of course, I made the Reichstag to put near the middle to make it more of a military relevant target. I have come up with a name for my targets--Doomstown.
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; Oct 17, 2017 at 07:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2016, 10:51 AM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
Having a problem with the wind knocking over the town before I can attack it. I think some weights to the bottom would help, but the magnets might need to be more powerful. Sperling suggested I put an "X" brace inside each building to keep the walls from blowing in.
Latest blog entry: HK B-17 landing gear mod
May 23, 2016, 05:07 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
I added more magnets to one of the buildings to see if this helps with the wind.
Jun 15, 2016, 01:26 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
More magnets did help with the wind, but at the expense of them collapsing when a bomb hits. The one red and grey cottage has survived two direct hits without falling apart, but the wind doesn't effect it either. I also found another website to seek inspiration from http://hansasystemsusa.com/
Jul 18, 2016, 01:25 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
Made a foam cutter to make buildings fast. Cost me $3.25 in parts. Had all the other stuff laying around. Used an old credit card machine power adapter for power put thru a dimmer switch. Made this one 15", but my power unit looks powerful enough to make bows up to 36". Way easier then using a razor knife. I can now cut out building walls in 3 minutes including the windows. Razor was more like 15minutes.
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; Jul 18, 2016 at 01:35 PM.
Jul 26, 2016, 10:04 AM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
In about three evenings I built the Reichstag as a target. Most of the time was planning my cuts. The foam cutter makes it a breeze to actually build it.
I just need to spray it in acrylic paint then add Styro Spray to give it a nice shell coat.
Aug 12, 2016, 09:48 PM
you should fpv the camera to the bomb drop with a site mounted to camera
Aug 13, 2016, 01:21 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
I made the model of the Reichstag look more "targety"
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; May 17, 2018 at 08:17 AM.
Aug 30, 2017, 08:17 AM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
In the process of adding some flavor to my targets. How about a 8'6" Type X IIC German U boat? On windy days this won't blow down or fly away like my buildings do sometimes.
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; Oct 17, 2017 at 07:36 AM.
Oct 24, 2017, 10:22 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
Hakaze Destroyer intro (0 min 23 sec)
Because there was a Second Theater of Operations in the Pacific, I decided to make some Japanese targets. This is the MineKaze Class Destroyer Sword Wind. These destroyers were extremely fast even though obsolete by the beginning of WWII. They formed the backbone of the Imperial Japanese Fleet and were still formidable with their Long Lance torpedo. They served in all major battles and even in training roles for their own torpedo bombers as targets, Troop carriers, and special operations as suicide submarine carriers. Here is my rendition taking shape. She is over 9' long and made almost completely of foam from the trash using my home made foam cutter and razors. I outfitted her with a machine gun LED kit and speakers as well as a FPV camera so that someone on the ground can fire back at my planes as they attack. It is super fun for both the gunner and the flyers . When making these targets the research ends up teaching me heaps about the Axis capabilities and weapons. As much fun as building planes.
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; Nov 25, 2017 at 07:26 PM.
Nov 26, 2017, 10:57 AM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
Here we are just goofing off with the Minekaze destroyer
Hakaze Aerial Target Practice (0 min 58 sec)
Oct 06, 2018, 08:59 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
I have been making improvements. I built an air cannon to put inside the buildings to simulate a fake explosion.
Doomstown target gets blown up by remote control air cannon. (0 min 9 sec)
Nov 17, 2018, 02:21 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
added some strafing lights to the side of one building. This building has a receiver set to the same channel as the airplane. I can now strafe it and the LEDs will light up like a hit. The coffee can has a RAM 16" gun explosion sound system in it to mimic a bomb explosion. It is wired to the Air cannon which goes inside for the grand finale.
Nov 18, 2018, 10:55 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
actually got to test the plane to explosion on the ground today and of course, using my China Lake Skyraider.
Skyraider strafe on scale 1/18th building (2 min 9 sec)

Quick Reply